What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith earlier in the week. Great premise and setup. Enjoyable cast. The house was awesome. Angelina's rarely looked better. Ridiculous follow through. I actually got bored by the massive shootout in the housewares store, and then the movie just... stops. With no explanation of how both agents are permitted to live and return to counseling after leaving so many deaths in their wake. I guess we're supposed to accept it for the movie's sake.

Adam Brody wearing a Fight Club shirt was a neat Easter egg.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The 70's conspiracy vibe does really work quite well in the movie, thrusting the straight arrow Steve Rogers in a world where he can't trust anyone or anything.

This film is both a sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers. If you are unfamiliar with those films parts of this one will he hard to follow. (something Marvel films will struggle with as the franchises continue, I assume.

It does a good job with it's main character though. Chris Evens has just the right looks and awe-shuks easy-going charm to play this (slightly) naive hero, who can nontheless kick serious ass. While not as much as a riot as Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark, he inhabits his role very well.

Scarlett Johansson returns for her third outing as Natasha Romanov (the films barely use her moniker of The Black Widow). As usual she looks both stunning and mysterious, and her character is actually given quite a nice arc.

Sam Jackson returns for yet another round of Nick Fury. Jackson can do this kinda thing is his sleep, but does it well.

[spoilers]He supposedly dies early in the film. But even though it was impressively shot (loved the reflection in the window of Rogers, Romanov and Hill) I never once believed he would actually stay dead. Call it the Coulson effect) [/spoilers]

The real surprise is Robert Redford. The eternal "good guy" and hero of many of the 70's conspiracy films that this film is an homage too (not to mention Sneakers) is really sinister in the role Hal Holbrook would have played if this film was made 40 years ago.

The plot is both simple and needlessly convoluted, and ends in the usual third act big epic Marvel battle. Where lots of things gets blown up, three hover ships like the one in The Avengers explode and crash in Washington DC, and there isn't a sigh of civilian deaths.

Some pretty decent action scenes before that though. Some nice fight scenes on a ship, a cool car chase with Nick Fury's indestructible car, and a stalemate fight between Captain America and "The Winter Soldier".

Weird. Buckey Barnes death in The First Avenger was clearly the set up for a sequel. And now the sequel has come, the Winter Soldier part is basically a set-up for the third movie.

Action scenes are shot more in a shaky cam Bourne style then the longer takes and gliding camera shots of The Avengers, but the action can be followed quite well. (3D doesnt really work with this style of editing though. But it never got as bad as Iron Man 3)

As customary with modern Marvel films, the stunts and special effects are flawless and plentiful.

The score! The Winter Soldier opens with a quote of Captain America's theme from his first film, and proceeds to give us a score that is nowhere near as good. Lots of percussive rumbling, screeching ostinato driven strings and stabs of brass leading to a lot of noise and no character. Captain America seems to get some kind of theme represented by mournful brass from the Jerry Goldsmith/Rambo style of "America failed me" variety, but if it actually is a theme, i certainly haven't retained it. Dull and forgettable score. I guess more consistent then Jackman's First Class score, which had parts that were annoying and parts that were quite good, but certainly not better.

Despite being relatively dark, there is still a lot of good humor and some camaraderie in this film. I liked the bond between Rogers and Romanov. And Captain America also has a nice budding friendship with a veteran soldier played by Anthony Mackie. Who is nice in the first part, but I totally lost interest in his character once they suited him up with wings A nice and moving scene between Rogers and his love from the first film, Peggy Carter has Haley Attwell returning and looking old, in what is the best use of old-age prognostics (make-up or CGI) I've ever seen in a film.

Other call backs to the first film aren't as successful. Like having Tobey Stevens character return as a 70's super computer.....

But it does exactly what one expects from a Marvel movie these days. Like most of them it's very well made, and at 140 minutes runs a bit too long. (not to mention it has two teasers for future movies)

*** out of ****

Fun flick with an even more fun score.

It's a fun excercise in style and attraction between the two leads. A rollercoaster ride that doesnt even make remotely sense, but sizzles with electricity.

You can see at Pitt that he wanted to tap that!

BIG BUSINESS (1988)

I usually don't like comedies, but this is one of my favourites! I had worn out the VHS in my childhood!

Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin are magnificent in the double roles of two pairs of twins that get mixed at birth.

big%2Bbusiness.jpg

Peggy Carter has Haley Attwell returning and looking old, in what is the best use of old-age prognostics (make-up or CGI) I've ever seen in a film.

I highly doubt that was her.

No one else but her was credited as the character, so I really do think it was.

Hellboy

Another comic book movie, but quite different.

Ron Perlman as the title character is rather brilliant in this. There are few actors out there who can be utterly bad ass, without even trying to be. Giving his character a hard as nails, yet laid-back persona.

I enjoyed this movie for it's characters and style more then for it's story, which is the usual "opening a portal to hell mumbo-jumbo".

Weirdly even though the film is full of special effects and action. It feels quite restraint and laid-back.

It's a good looking film, but also has the most blatantly teal and orange shot scenes in any film I've ever saw. I normally dont really notice the teal and orange, but at various points in the film, it was everywhere.

The color pallette of the film was carefully selected to highlight the color red only on Hellboy and things like blood, or red lipstick.

Raid 2

the-raid-2-berandal-teaser-poster.jpg

It's impressively staged, just as its predecessor. Brutal, painful and really gory. But also develops a plot, something a film like this doesn't necessarily need. It really takes its time... two and a half hours long.

Karol

Depth? Why do you need that in a martial arts film?

It's nice to have a bit of depth or insight into the human condition in any film, regardless of its genre. That said, humour is a must. If there's none (even unintentional) - then what's the point in watching it?

Besides, they aren't my choice of words. I just happen to agree with the general gist of it.

I see it quite differently. It's pure celebration of human body and what it can do. Maybe in a twisted way, but still. If we were talking about some CG film then yeah. But the physicality of it and pure beauty of movement is just astonishing.

In a way form is content in this film, it doesn't need plot. And that's what bogs the second one down. Too much of it.

karol

I see it quite differently. It's pure celebration of human body and what it can do. Maybe in a twisted way, but still. If we were talking about some CG film then yeah. But the physicality of it and pure beauty of movement is just astonishing.

It's bunch of crackheads and police officers I don't give a shit about fighting to the death in the world's gnarliest tower block. There's no aesthetic beauty, and the cinematography's nothing to write home about.

I just don't get it. Sorry.

Peggy Carter has Haley Attwell returning and looking old, in what is the best use of old-age prognostics (make-up or CGI) I've ever seen in a film.

I highly doubt that was her.

No one else but her was credited as the character, so I really do think it was.

That was most likely for the archival footage they show at some point, where she appears young. She's not credited as "Old Peggy Carter", just "Peggy Carter". They generally precise that on the credits.

No actress is credited as "old Peggy Carter"

Hellboy

I enjoyed this movie for it's characters and style more then for it's story,

I think that is the film's forte, it's about the characters and sometimes something would happen to them. Everything feels like it moves along in a natural and spontaneous way, unlike the second one, which has one of the most contrived stories in film history.

Gotta disagree with the Mr And Mrs Smith love ... maybe it's just me, but I swear it was actually noticeable during that film that Brad Pitt couldn't give a shit and was only in it for the money; there's a lazy contempt to his performance that isn't down to a hitman having to be 'detached'.

Frozen. On Blu.

I had no idea it was a musical. Got totally wrong idea from the trailers.

Can't stand most of the Disney films and the forced musical numbers are just intolerable.

Oh, I do not belong to the target audience.

But lousy it sadly was.

I haven't seen the film but it's certainly achieved something rather magnificent. It's the highest grossing animated film of all time and the best selling blu-ray of all time.

I'm not sure how much real is this, since they don't count inflation, 3D tickets, number of theaters that it opened etc..

I saw Frozen (after a persuasion of a friend) and I would say it's in my bottom 5 Disney animation films ever.

I felt like watching a Barbie movie with a bit better animation.

Snow White is definitely still tops when adjusted for inflation.

I thought Frozen was cute. I'm still not quite sure why everyone is so especially head-over-heels for it -- I don't see what separates this from Tangled or The Princess and the Frog -- but it's fun to see people excited about a Disney musical again.

Snowpiercer: Fun and Gilliam-esque (wacky characters). Loved the idea that every wagon is a new world with different challenges (reminded me of Natali's Cube). Why are there plebs on board in the first place? Ed Harris thinks he's the savior of humanity, a prophet who has foreseen disaster. By granting the plebs on board of his train Harris believes he is like The Good Samaritan. Clearly a case of a billionaire with a god complex. 6/10

snowpiercer-60-second-trailer-and-3-feat

Alex

I thought Frozen was cute. I'm still not quite sure why everyone is so especially head-over-heels for it -- I don't see what separates this from Tangled or The Princess and the Frog -- but it's fun to see people excited about a Disney musical again.

I loved all three of them.

I hated all three of them.

I hated all three of them.

Both prove my point :P

Sink the Bismarck.

A film happening almost towards the end of Kenneth More's golden era. Once again KM is directed by Lewis Gilbert but this time unlike a couple of those other films, he's quietly stoic, a man hurt by the loss of his wife in the Blitz, who has a son in the Fleet Air Arm and himself just out of hospital after losing his ship in Norway.

Being based on a CS Forester book it's not strictly accurate in places -such as where a HMS Solent is sunk, only Hood was lost and Lutjens was no fanatical Nazi but it's more accurate than most films since. The model-work of the ships is stunning really for a film of its era, with nice use of backscreen when the Swordfish attack. It's well acted and littered with familiar faces from British cinema such as Geoffrey Keen, Michael Horden and Maurice Denham amongst others, as well as the beautiful Dana Wynter. A nice touch is having Ed Murrow cameo reading news bulletins. Musically the main theme is uplifting as well as stirring, classic war film stuff.

The climax of the film is suitably [and of course] brutal as the RN goes in for the kill, battering seven shades of brickdust out of Bismarck.

It's one of More's more serious and finer performances to boot.

So its true. This is their first step to world-domination. We must be submit now if we want to surivive in the New Brony Order regime!

Howling II

An indisputably awful movie, and so patently ridiculous that you'll be laughing uncontrollably. "Home Improvement"-style scene wipes? A ridiculous werewolf three-way? Christopher Lee in hideous 1980s New Wave sunglasses? Werewolves that look like Wookies? Sybil Danning's magnificent breasts? This movie has it all, and more.

Ridiculous, hilarious, and nonsensical. It has to be seen to be believed.