What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Robin Hood: Men In Tights

It's no Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles, but every time I watch it it makes me chuckle. Some of the parodies, like The Godfather, are eye-rolling but the movie is all in good fun. Tracey Ullman's Latrine steals every scene she's in, and I enjoyed the nods to Errol Flynn's Adventures of Robin Hood and those jabs at Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

You can not get me to hate this movie.

Noah.

Neither good, nor bad. It's an interestingly crafted film, with some curious ideas. But it fails to really go anywhere with those, really, It might be because if you take a mythical tale, which works on a certain metaphorical level, and then try to encrust it with psychological depth you end up with a babble, Crowe and Connelly give their best shot and that's what makes some things work.

Karol

It's dramatically inert, but I appreciate its attempt to synthesize the Jewish tradition surrounding Genesis.

It's no Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles, but every time I watch it it makes me chuckle. Some of the parodies, like The Godfather, are eye-rolling but the movie is all in good fun. Tracey Ullman's Latrine steals every scene she's in, and I enjoyed the nods to Errol Flynn's Adventures of Robin Hood and those jabs at Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

Dom DeLuise's scene is the funniest part!

Noah.

Neither good, nor bad. It's an interestingly crafted film, with some curious ideas. But it fails to really go anywhere with those, really, It might be because if you take a mythical tale, which works on a certain metaphorical level, and then try to encrust it with psychological depth you end up with a babble, Crowe and Connelly give their best shot and that's what makes some things work.

Karol

It's dramatically inert, but I appreciate its attempt to synthesize the Jewish tradition surrounding Genesis.

I actually like that it went into a slightly different direction than the usual Bible films would. The stone giants and all - nice touch.

It's just hard to relate to it on a human level. The whole drama of it, I mean.

Oh, and I did like Clint Mansell's score. A bit too monochrome, perhaps. But served the antediluvian setting quite well. The film makes a deliberate attempt not to portray it as set in a particular moment in time (might be as well the future) so the score addresses that aspect nicely.

Karol

The score is too atmospheric for my tastes. It has the usual Mansell underscore with his strumming guitars and razor-like strings but it never reaches those majestic heights of say, The Fountain or Requiem For A Dream.

I haven't seen the film yet, but when I heard that Aronofosky took more liberty with the story than I initially assumed, I became a lot more interested. Amazon's blu-ray page even has a warning! :lol:

The score is too atmospheric for my tastes. It has the usual Mansell underscore with his strumming guitars and razor-like strings but it never reaches those majestic heights of say, The Fountain or Requiem For A Dream.

I haven't seen the film yet, but when I heard that Aronofosky took more liberty with the story than I initially assumed, I became a lot more interested. Amazon's blu-ray page even has a warning! :lol:

Well, it is essentially the same story. Aronofsky expanded upon some small bits from the Bible that might suggest some other aspects that an average person wouldn't know about. But the film is very much a fantasy epic. There is even one battle scene in it that looks very much like The Two Towers. There's nothing realistic about it at all. Some nice visual ideas in there.

Karol

I think the shorter version of The Shining is better, too. The pacing is stronger.

Anyhoo, the last film I watched was Milius, an above-average documentary about an above-average filmmaker.

Welcome Harms. Great to have the old gang back together.

Well, it is essentially the same story. Aronofsky expanded upon some small bits from the Bible that might suggest some other aspects that an average person wouldn't know about. But the film is very much a fantasy epic. There is even one battle scene in it that looks very much like The Two Towers. There's nothing realistic about it at all. Some nice visual ideas in there.

Karol

Some reviews were calling it science fiction, which had me intrigued.

Empire Of The Sun

One of Spielberg's most undervalued films. Often accused of lacking both emotion and a clear narrative. Unusual for a director who is very well known for not shying away from either in most of his films.

This is very much a film seen through the eyes of a young boy. So Jamie (or Jim as he later calls himself) it lacks a sense of a larger narrative, a clear understanding of the politics involved, and who is good and who is bad.

Jim develops a hero worship towards the Japanese pilots close to the camp he is interned in, and also to Basie. An American "adventurer" of sorts. Basie befriends Jim because Jim is useful to him,and at various points is ready to ditch him when he thinks that usefulness has ended. Jim doesnt see that, or refuses to, because he doesnt have anyone else to learn from, or care for him, in his mind. John Malcovich is impressive in a role that requires him to be both charming and calculating.

And so is Christian Bale as Jim. In essence he is already playing the kind of role that he would play later in his career. A character who isnt actually all that sympathetic, not in a traditional way that most kids in Hollywood films are. Yet you do care for him. Despite the fact that he talks all the time, trying to curry favor of people who might benefit him, often to extreme annoyance. Like the kids in The Goonies, but this time in an internment camp, malnourished with death creeping ever closer. His feverish talking is his brain constantly working, trying to stay alive. Despite his abrasive ways, A sudden emotional scene where Jim breaks down and says he can't remember what his parents look like hits like a hammer.

His fascination for aircraft takes on an almost religious devotion throughout the film. Every scene featuring an aircraft contains shots of immense beauty. From the sight of Japanese zero's in the distance, early in the film, to the close pass-by of a "Cadillac Of The Skies" much later.

In fact the whole film is a thing of beauty. Spielberg's veneration of David Lean's epic's was already shown in the crowd scenes of Close Encounters. Here he takes a film that Lean wanted to direct at one point and fills it with shots that are a loving homage to this director.

It's weird. Spielberg is that most American of directors, yet makes a film that very much feels English. (even the Americans in this film surely arent portrayed as particularly sympathetic). Spielberg eschews much of the "easy"emotional sentiment he is known for. And also leaves a hell of a lot unsaid.

One of the weaknesses of Spielberg is that he doesnt always trust the audience to "get his point", so he hammers it home with the subtlety of a sledge hammer. With Saving Private Ryan as the greatest example of that.

Empire Of The Sun allows the viewer the freedom of their own interpretation. While there is a narrative of sorts running throughout the film, many scenes feel like a patchwork. Like parts of a greater whole that we aren't prive of.

The style is very interesting, and puzzled many reviewers. It is both an unflinching look at the realities of war and interment (while not very bloody, it doesnt shy away from death and violence), but also an adventure story seen though the eyes of a boy, who was abandoned and NEEDS hero's, a father figure, the sense of a normal life. The internment camp essentially becomes his home, much like his house in Shanghai ones was.

But because much if this wasnt really SPELLED out like everything was in SPR, or the ending of Schindlers List. A lot of the film was seen as barren or confusing. I don't think Spielberg would ever take such a risk again.

John Williams' score is the icing on the care. Used quite sparingly, but with moments of genuine fight and almost religious beauty.

Both a visually stunning film, one of the directors best looking, and a film that invites you to actually ponder about what you've seen, and to...at a future date re-watch.

I could watch SPR again and be amazed about the visuals, and it's depiction of the horrors of war, but take nothing new away from it.

But I think watching Empire Of The Sun again would be far more rewarding.

I can't rate it yet, oneday maybe.

31 minutes were cut for the international version, and apparently Kubrick thought of that as the superior edit of the film!

He has no preference.

That's because he's dead.

He's really not dead....as long as we remember him.

Dom DeLuise's scene is the funniest part!

The Godfather parody starts out well, but it's over milked. Dave Chappelle was also another highlight too.

Fall of the Roman Empire.

epic film in scope and story but sort of meanders along. The best tends to centre around Alec Guinness, James Mason and Christopher Plummer. The lattermost by the end either enjoying it too much or maybe hamming it up. Bit of both.

The striking feature, no not Sophia Loren, is Dimitri Tionkin's main title. Encapsulates the Romans perfectly.

48 Hrs.

Early example of 80's cop buddy movie.

Contains every cliche in the book save a scene where a cop is put on suspension and asked to give his badge and gun. (The sequel has that though)

Made extremely watchable by the star-making performance of Eddie Murphy as the convict Reggie Hammond. A energetic piece of bravado that combines style with bad language. Nick Nolte is equally good as the grizzled cop who needs him for a case.

Walter Hill's gritty direction gets the most of out this crude and macho script, filled with requisite levels of racial slurs and sexism.

Early Horner score features a drumkit, funky brass and steel drums.

checked out- The Enforcer

must say it was inspired after seeing some guy on the Circle Line watching it on his IPAD/tablet thingy. Specifically the scene where Harry gave the robber a car. Missed as always Lalo Schifrin scoring it, Fielding does a job but just would've liked to see Schifrin is all.

Calvary - much less of a comedy than John McDonagh and Brendan Gleeson's last collaboration, The Guard. The overall message I came away from this with was that thanks to the abuse scandals (and other factors), the Catholic Church is all but irrelevant in a modern Ireland.

An ideal movie for Good Friday, lol.

Calvary - much less of a comedy than John McDonagh and Brendan Gleeson's last collaboration, The Guard. The overall message I came away from this with was that thanks to the abuse scandals (and other factors), the Catholic Church is all but irrelevant in a modern Ireland.

An ideal movie for Good Friday, lol.

Been thinking of checking it out from when, funnily, I saw Dylan Moran in the trailer and more-so since watching The Guard for the first time last week. Becoming a bit of a fan of Gleeson.

I've just finished Master and Commander on the recommendation of the esteemed guest2, and a fine recommendation it was.

A few more thoughts on this one. Quint was right about the "peculiar" nature of this film, in exactly the way I hoped he'd be. It's in a way very intimate, almost paradoxically considering its subject. Contributing to this is the unchanging (apart from the excursion on the Galapagos Islands) setting of the ship, the way in which the large crew is given individuality through a few select characters and moments, and the sparse scoring, which is always a guilty pleasure of mine, and which makes the use of classical chamber pieces, mostly in diegetic form, more striking. I even feel like the few sequences scored with original music, mostly battles, could have been left untouched.

It's a beautifully shot film, engrossing and never once unconvincing in any sense. Crowe and Bettany have a great rapport.

Oddly, one thing that kept popping into my head while watching it was how close in atmosphere it was to my idealized adaptation of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

The film becomes dull after Steve Rogers becomes Captain America. The sequel is better.

I had more fun looking at my watch than I did looking at the screen when I attended a screening of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Welcome Harms. Great to have the old gang back together.

Happy to be here.

Watched The Edge today. A predictable and old-fashioned, but enjoyable film. Good to see something from Hollywood that is shot on location and not scored wall-to-wall.

Karol

Predictable in a sense that it's a very typically structured story. Not a detriment or anything like that. Just an observation.

And yeah both actors do a great job.

Karol

Finished my Biblical run today with The Passion of the Christ. Though technically I guess it'll end tonight after the final "so let it be written, so let it be done," and Bernstein's stirring finale.

I always feel enriched after such a marathon, but it'll be a relief to get away from this subject in film until next year.