What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Pretty much retired

Verhoeven is working on a new film: The Hidden Force (according to IMDb)

But, a few weeks ago, I also read something about a Jesus film ...

Well wasn't Singer slated to originally direct that before he moved on the Superman?

There are parts of the film that really do work, and other parts that could have worked had they focused the story better, cut some of the mutants out and give it some breathing room.

The Logan/Rogue friendhsip was the central part of the first X-Men. In the third film thats reduced to a 2 minute conversation.

He was, then when WB offered him the Superman gig, he up and left, taking his writers and BTS crew with him. Ratner was working on that SR project in development before Singer came on, so he and Bryan effectively switched gigs.

I do agree there are some effective scenes -- the big climax with Jean and Logan (which carried over nicely in The Wolverine), the Charles/Erik scenes and the showstopper Golden Gate sequence is still impressive. But characters like Storm could've been written out, they added nothing to the film.

1941 (The Director's Cut): What an absolutely silly movie with outrageous amount of excess almost every frame bursting at seams with details, gags, action and goofiness. At times it reminds me of a cartoon with the slapstick humour, baffling characters and imaginative set ups but it has too much of everything to retain clear focus with the director and the writers by their own admission trying to create the most outlandish comedic scenarios and blowing each others ideas out of proportions. It is a comedy where laughs come at odd intervals as you are more left just staggered by the colour, lights, yelling, explosions and a running cavalcade of characters each crazier than the next. The director's cut at 145 minutes offers some character moments and sets up several plot points more firmly than the theatrical release but at this length is way too long for such a comedy.

Still you can't but admire the zest of it all, especially when Spielberg's sole inspiration to do the film was that he could blow things up. And that he does with such zane fervor that it is no wonder people were just dumbfounded by this movie in theaters when it first came out. It still does dumbfound a bit but there are genuinely funny moments sprinkled (a bit too thinly for the massive run time) throughout ranging from physical comedy to so quite clever puns and jokes. John Belushi is just crazy and his cavorting all over the place is a marvel to watch as he seems to be ready for anything. The rest of the cast is in varying support (e.g. the ever funny Slim Pickens as Hollis "Holly" Wood, Murray Hamilton as the acrophobe lookout man, Christopher Lee as the Nazi observer Kleinschmidt, Toshiro Mifune as the Japanese submarine commander) of the wild Mad Maddox dash through Hollywood of 1941 with a whole host of enjoyable special effects augmenting the city wide spectacle. John Williams' score is the patriotic glue that ties much of the film together and especially propels the last third with tremendous energy and small musical jokes. The march of course is a classic and what ever could characterize this film better.

I really hope it's the Jesus film. Verhoeven and Jesus, I gotta see that!

Can he have Arnie to play Jesus? That'd be awegasmic.

Tidbit: Carolco was about to give him 120 Mio $ in 1994/95 to make CRUSADE - the title is pretty self-explanatory - with Ahnuld in the lead. Goldsmith even had started delving into period music before the pull was plugged though other sources say it was more of a coin-flip between this and CUTTHROAT ISLAND. If so, congratulations to Carolco for a place high up on the 1995 Darwin Awards list.

crusade9243021233.jpeg

Speaking of Verhoeven, I always loved Basic Instinct. Probably one of the most entertaining films ever made. The way he balances on the verge of total kitsch is amazing. One of Jerry's finest works as well, in my opinion. The most effective, anyway.

I've never been that big a fan of it on CD (save for some great bits and pieces), but it works wonders in the movie.

Speaking of which, is there a decent Blu-ray of Basic Instinct yet? Or of Total Recall for that matter?

The complete score would have been an overkill. That's why I never bothered with Prometheus re-release. But the Varese 44-minute programme is as perfect as any soundtrack presentation.

Karol

1941 (The Director's Cut): What an absolutely silly movie with outrageous amount of excess almost every frame bursting at seams with details, gags, action and goofiness. At times it reminds me of a cartoon with the slapstick humour, baffling characters and imaginative set ups but it has too much of everything to retain clear focus with the director and the writers by their own admission trying to create the most outlandish comedic scenarios and blowing each others ideas out of proportions. It is a comedy where laughs come at odd intervals as you are more left just staggered by the colour, lights, yelling, explosions and a running cavalcade of characters each crazier than the next. The director's cut at 145 minutes offers some character moments and sets up several plot points more firmly than the theatrical release but at this length is way too long for such a comedy.

Still you can't but admire the zest of it all, especially when Spielberg's sole inspiration to do the film was that he could blow things up. And that he does with such zane fervor that it is no wonder people were just dumbfounded by this movie in theaters when it first came out. It still does dumbfound a bit but there are genuinely funny moments sprinkled (a bit too thinly for the massive run time) throughout ranging from physical comedy to so quite clever puns and jokes. John Belushi is just crazy and his cavorting all over the place is a marvel to watch as he seems to be ready for anything. The rest of the cast is in varying support (e.g. the ever funny Slim Pickens as Hollis "Holly" Wood, Murray Hamilton as the acrophobe lookout man, Christopher Lee as the Nazi observer Kleinschmidt, Toshiro Mifune as the Japanese submarine commander) of the wild Mad Maddox dash through Hollywood of 1941 with a whole host of enjoyable special effects augmenting the city wide spectacle. John Williams' score is the patriotic glue that ties much of the film together and especially propels the last third with tremendous energy and small musical jokes. The march of course is a classic and what ever could characterize this film better.

love that film, no idea there was a Director's Cut though.

As previously announced I watched Robocop and Total Recall. Entertaining and full of excess.

And no, they're not better than either Basic Instinct and Starship Troopers.

The extra layer of wit is missing.

Karol

As previously announced I watched Robocop and Total Recall. Entertaining and full of excess.

And no, they're not better than either Basic Instinct and Starship Troopers.

The extra layer of wit is missing.

Karol

Eh, I like all 4 of those movies just fine.

Fargo

My first time seeing this since probably college. Wow, is it a great film! I love all the characters, the settings, the cinematography, the music, and the plot twists and turns. Margie sure is one good detective!

The only weak part of the film is the three-scene subplot about the ex-boyfriend of Margie who wants to have lunch with her. You could remove that from the film and have a film that is no worse at all, and probably stronger.

Fargo

The only weak part of the film is the three-scene subplot about the ex-boyfriend of Margie who wants to have lunch with her. You could remove that from the film and have a film that is no worse at all, and probably stronger.

That's a very important part of the film, actually.

When she discovers Mike was lying it's what triggers Margie to re-interview Lundegaard.

Ok.

Well, I'm not sure three scenes devoted to creating a reason for Margie to want to re-interview Lundegard was really necessary, since in the end the interview didn't lead to anything anyway; She caught the bad guys by following up on the lead the other cop took about the loud mouth staying by the lake.