What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I don't value the opinion of LCD people.

Unfortunately, the world will soon have an entire generation that has no idea what celluloid is.

Analog? Forget it.

Record and tape decks will be consigned to a museum, and CDs, DVDs, and Blu Rays will be obsolete.

I was never a big fan of Superman II and the modern ones are unbelievably dull and awful. Zack Snyder's perversions and hatred of all things fun have threatened even the Superman series. Nothing quite like the spectacle of the original from the moment the opening credits fly into the screen following the nostalgic funny book bit.

Nolan offers you a chance for "dark and disturbing", Justin. Take it, join him. You will bow down before Nolan, Justin. I swear it. No matter that it takes an eternity, YOU WILL BOW DOWN, BEFORE NOLAN! BOTH YOU, AND THEN, ONE DAY, YOUR HEIRS!!!!

Alex is JWFan's resident Snyder fanboy and given his fascination with the China Virus, no doubt the death count in Man of Steel finale tickles his fancy. If only Snyder would make a sequel about a mopey and pissed off Superman having to enforce lockdowns during a deadly virus, forcing everyone to watch crappy Zack Snyder movies and Blade Runner like good little citizens. 

15 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Alex is JWFan's resident Snyder fanboy

I'm not a fan of his DC movies, nor of his owl movie or that chick actioner. 

15 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

no doubt the death count in Man of Steel finale tickles his fancy. 

You've made a zillion posts about how you want Batman to kill and only kill. You're the one obsessed with death. 

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Superman: The Movie theatrical version. It will always be the best Superman movie.

It is.  And probably will continue to be.

Problem is, since the 80s WB is giving Superman to crappy directors: Sidney J. Furie (who?!), Bryan Singer, Zack Snyder... Why don't they hire talented screenwriter and directors that actually care about the character? 

A Superman movie can be as fun and engaging as any number of well-received super-hero movies out there.

They want it to be more realistic and relatable and dark and disturbing. Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, more miserable than the old lady in The Goonies. Zack Snyder, Christoper Nolan, Bryan Singer and Warner Brothers proudly present...God, I'm So Fucking Miserable Towing this Merchant Vessel Through The Ice: A Superman Story. Now on DC+.

Superman-towing-ship-in-Batman-v-Superma

13 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The Richard Donner Cut is far superior to the theatrical version.

No. It had the potential to be better, but in its present form, it just isn't. Donner's version is still an unfinished rough cut with awkward choppy editing, missing scenes, missing shots, audio anomalies, weird disclaimers, screentest fillers and still entire sequences directed by Lester.

Lester's own theatrical cut might have its own issues, but it's still a finished movie. Hell I like the extended TV version even more!

16 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Superman isn't supposed to be dark and disturbing with muted colors

I think you can play-up any subject matter seriously. It’s just that the way Snyder tried to do it...

Ah, Zack Snyder... Alex's great white hope. 

Actually, I'm one of the few who quite liked Man of Steel, and I still think Warner went wrong when they didn't do another couple of sequels, before that Vs Batman nonsense. (I used to wish that never existed.)

I also don't really 'get' being expected to take a virtually indestructible flying alien with heat-ray-eyes, freeze-breath etc as all *gritty* and shit now.  

Robocop (1987) - still a satire 'n' ultraviolence sci-fi classic. Have no interest at all in the '10s 12A-cert remake.

Again, I didn't even mind the Robocop remake. Not a patch on the original of course, but I was hardly disgusted by it. Some folk get really wound up by inoffensive shrug movies for some reason. 

Oliver Stone's Nixon | Wonders in the Dark

Nixon

A bit over the top, much like Stone's JFK, but unlike that movie (which has gone up in my estimation) it does not gel together quite as well.  All the fancy filmmaking and non-linear stuff seem to just be add-ons to what is mostly a pretty standard political drama/melodramatic inner tragedy.  Nevertheless, there are a few passages that do work very well.  And Stone nails the ending too, where Nixon finally figures out the answer about himself vis-a-vis Kennedy and connects himself to the larger American drama.  This scene (the only time Hopkins is fully convincing as Nixon) shows a focus that I felt the movie was missing up until then, a focus on Nixon and his doings as manifestation of part of the American psyche and experience and Nixon starting his resurrection to elder statesman out of the fire of scandal.  Instead, Stone overly focuses on inner turmoil stemming from Nixon's upbringing and especially his mother, with kind of cliched Oedipal overtones there.  Thus, the movie is not as satisfying as it could be.

Paul Sorvino's Kissinger, on the other hand, is very satisfying.  The supporting cast is mostly very on point.

Score is quite good too, some wonderful music to picture moments, though I think overall I prefer it on album.

3/4  

The Expendables 3

This was abysmally awful. Should've been at least a decent action movie, but this one was super boring. I had trouble staying awake during the (horrible) climax. 

Also features a shit score by Tyler. 

Frank Langella was an oddball in that roll. The filmmakers were obsessed with his fixation on laceless shoes and his perspiring upper lip. But the Oliver Stone one was more boring than Algebra. 

I liked Frost/Nixon pretty well.  Engaging and interesting performances, but nothing amazing.

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@SteveMc,

Who do you think is the better Nixon; Hopkins, or Langella?

Or, God forbid, John Cusack :lol:

image.png

The green mile. This was another re-watch, but today I had a copy that didn’t cut off 10 minutes before the ending. It helps, you know.

I’ll start by saying that all the actors are simply great. Wonder which accent Tom Hanks is using here, Bonnie Hunt and Patricia Clarkson were great discoveries and I hadn’t recognised Sam Rockwell at all. My God, he’s fantastic in everything!

This being a re-watch meant I was prepared for most of the harrowing content, but I still found all the electric chair scenes extremely difficult to watch and didn’t know they were done in front of an audience either.

I was also surprised how quickly it was all over. It doesn’t feel like I’ve just watched a three-hour movie.

Right, that’s enough praise. Let’s move on to the one huge issue I have with it. The supernatural crap. This is a story about real people in real jobs living in the real world. It was engaging enough, for want of a better word, without involving a guy who could magically heal living things. The mouse, okay. Well, not really okay, but okay. But then a brain tumour? Sure, whatever you like, I guess. Now, I’m not saying his scene with Linda didn’t move me. On the contrary, but I just cannot like a movie about real things and one fantasy element. Then John made Percy kill Billy, which, despite John’s reasons, made me completely lose sympathy for him. The final blabbering about Mr Jingles didn’t help either. Oh, and why can’t John just show everyone that he didn’t kill those girls?

Also, the timing of the story doesn’t really add up. We’re told this movie is set in the Great Depression, but Top Hat is a 1953 movie.

Oh, and can I please comment on the religious rubbish? I feel like I’m walking on thin ice here given the forum rules, but since the movie ends with a lot of divine nonsense, I feel like I’m entitled to comment and I’m also feeling too emotional not to. Feel free to delete this bit. So God puts John on earth and gives him special abilities. Why, then, does he allow him to be put in prison for something he never did? Or was the Almighty who created the universe in five days, or was it seven, I forgot, taking a break that day and did he then not feel like picking up the pieces after his holiday? Then, Paul deduces that he is outliving everyone as a divine punishment? Really? Could that possibly be because God is either a tyrannical prick suffering from megalomania, because he doesn’t exist at all or because he just doesn’t give a shit about humans? Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I obviously know the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Finally the score and music. I’m still surprised to have to say this, but I think I might just have discovered Thomas Newman’s least interesting score. The comic cues were great, but I kind of expected him to be better during emotional scenes, though if he had been, I might probably have broken down a few times and the music he did compose was certainly not bad at all. A few cues did have a weird pitch issue and sounded as if someone was continually adjusting the speed of a vinyl record. And finally, it was really weird to hear Cheek To Cheek in two movies in just one month.

Wow, is this my longest film review ever?

30 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, the timing of the story doesn’t really add up. We’re told this movie is set in the Great Depression, but Top Hat is a 1953 movie.

Top Hat was 1935 actually, so it very much adds up.

In fact, Frank Darabont moved the setting forward three years from that of King's book so that he could include that film and the song "Cheek To Cheek".

I don't care for prison movies except Tango and Cash or Naked Gun 3. I don't need a Hollyweird take on the criminal justice system. Shawshank Redemption is one of the most overrated movies ever. Maybe THE most overrated movie, although Inception and other Nolan shitshows are obvious contenders. Or am I being obtuse?

I really like The Green Mile. I try not to watch it too often however... it's one of those films that a diluted experience of would massively dampen its effect. The Shawshank Redemption (the better of the two, IMO) is the same... I sincerely try not to watch it more than once a year.

6 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't care for prison movies except Tango and Cash or Naked Gun 3. I don't need a Hollyweird take on the criminal justice system. Shawshank Redemption is one of the most overrated movies ever. Maybe THE most overrated movie, although Inception and other Nolan shitshows are obvious contenders. Or am I being obtuse?

Yes, you lost me at Inception.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Never actually seen it. Maybe I should. 

It's completely ridiculous 80's cheese.  I saw it when I was 10 or 11 so it was glorious to me and my friends

As an adult seeing it for the first time in 2021 it's probably pretty lame