What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Didn't Toll shoot it, on Fuji?

It's a little disjointed, but it's still a good watch. I'd like to see the uncut version.

Arriflex and Panavision cameras, Panavision lenses, and Kodak and Eastman stock. 

it’s a bit “arty” but I think I’d actually enjoy it even more on a second viewing. 

Zimmer’s score is great. I’ve owned the LLL release for ages so it was cool to see what the great “Attack on Bivouac” actually underscores. 

21 hours ago, Quintus said:

Anyone else practice a total no phone distraction policy when watching films and shows? 

Yes. I also had a practice to devour my friends when they used it in theatre next to me.

SOURCE CODE  -  dir. Duncan Jones

I saw this at the cinema when it first came out (2011 I think?). I liked it then. I like it even more this time.

A brilliantly 'sprinting' thriller. It gets to the point immediately and doesn't let go. In all its outrageousness, it's elegantly made, streamlined, Hitchcockian even.

Wish we had more muscular yet thoughtful and 'taut' thrillers coming out at the moment. I'm looking at you Nolan.

Really good score too, from JNH mentee Chris Bacon. A score that sounds slightly old-fashioned... but fucking works to a T. 

Hated it. Duncan Jones is not really a great director as he later proved with: 

MV5BMjAwNTE3MjQ2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjgz

He might be the biggest Blade Runner fan on the planet but I can hardly watch his movies. Even Moon was directed in the dullest way possible.

Ah, shame. I think it was generally quite well received, so I don't feel too outcasted.

But I have to admit, I saw Mute and it was awful.

Moon is good though! 

I liked Moon well enough, and Source Code was fun, but damn Mute was surprisingly bad on just about every level.  Almost felt like he was trolling Netflix with that one

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Do you think that this film might be made be someone called Duncan Jones?

Unlike Source Code, Mute was his pet project, his love letter to Blade Runner. It actually took him many years to find a financier. I followed Duncan's career very early on because he was a big Blade Runner Fan. And so I really looked forward to Moon, his debut movie, but when I finally saw it, I was very disappointed with the direction. It couldn't be more dull. Later he said it was intended because it needed to represent the boring life on a lunar base. That's all very fine and dandy, but I simply didn't see a strong voice and Mute only strengthen my doubts.

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

Only like one scene in that one, a scene when they went through a very narrow passage. It gave me claustrophobia. 

That's basically the first half of the film.

I love it, because for me it worked perfectly in its buildup of eeriness and claustrophobia, long before other elements come into play. And the score supports that perfectly, most directly in the scene with 

Spoiler

Gollum crawling over the main character.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, AC1 said:

Later he said it was intended because it needed to represent the boring life on a lunar base. 

These sorts of explanations work a whole lot better in advance of people seeing it versus as a lame excuse to cover one's limitations and/or artistic choices.  Either way, dull is dull.  Akin to "Jar Jar is supposed to be annoying," as if that makes him more tolerable.  

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's basically the first half of the film.

Very narrow, very low tunnel, they had to crawl flat on their stomachs. I think someone got stuck. Very claustrophobic. You don't remember this scene? 

7 hours ago, Tom said:

These sorts of explanations work a whole lot better in advance of people seeing it versus as a lame excuse to cover one's limitations and/or artistic choices.  Either way, dull is dull.  

I agree. A given situation or mood might be boring but that doesn't mean the direction needs to be boring as well. A shame, because the set looked good.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:15 AM, KK said:

The Green Ray

A talky and somewhat flimsy Rohmer flick...

Do you know much of his other work? His style and subjects were pretty consistent over his career (in the same way that one could say that about Ozu), so I'm curious as to whether you'd think this one is flimsy by comparison with the others or just that his films are flimsy in general. The Green Ray is one of my favourites; I prefer it to the more highly regarded Claire's Knee.

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

Very narrow, very low tunnel, they had to crawl flat on their stomachs. I think someone got stuck. Very claustrophobic. You don't remember this scene? 

I do. But my (exaggerated) point was that the entire first part of the cave exploration is a gradual (and in my view) superb buildup of claustrophobia. The scene you mention is just the culmination of that.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

There's 3 similar movies that came out around the same time I always confuse with one another

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Descent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cave_(2005_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_(2007_film)

In 1989 it happened to underwater movies.

MV5BMDk2ZTljOTYtYTUxNC00MjA3LThlODMtYzY2

MV5BNjEyMDJhMTYtM2FjMC00NDNiLWFmYzgtOGEx

MV5BYWMzMDNlMDQtMTYyYi00OTM3LTllZDYtYThh

First Contact was the first Star Trek movie to nearly make me a big Trekkie. I loved that flick, especially because of how proud the opening credits made me of mankind's advances in space exploration. 

Hunter Killer - sub-heavy actioner that isn't up (down?) there with the likes of Red October or Crimson Tide, but passes a couple of hours entertainingly enough. With Gerard Butler, Gary Oldman, Michael Nyqvist and Toby Stephens. 

Twins, sure, but we're talking triplets here, Jay. 

1118full-knives-out-poster.jpg

It's not my genre but it was sorta fun at times. Rian's Johnson's style is perfect for this. 6,5/10

ENtm0RKU8AA92TX.jpg

I didn't expect Ana de Armas to have such an important role.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, Glóin the Dark said:

Do you know much of his other work? His style and subjects were pretty consistent over his career (in the same way that one could say that about Ozu), so I'm curious as to whether you'd think this one is flimsy by comparison with the others or just that his films are flimsy in general. The Green Ray is one of my favourites; I prefer it to the more highly regarded Claire's Knee.

I've watched a couple, like La Collectionneuse and I'm familiar with the laissez-faire attitude of his films. There's just something about watching a Parisian woman sob erratically about her vacation plans for two hours that just reeks a little too much of privilege. Obviously there is more happening underneath the film than that, and it has some moments, but overall I just wasn't convinced.

Pretty Woman.

Finally watched it after having heard my dad refer to it more often than not during film discussions over the past few years. I think this was my first Richard Gere movie. He sounded a lot like Kevin Costner. Julia Roberts’ character vaguely annoyed me at first, but, my God, she’s such a great actress. It therefore didn’t take long before I was totally invested in her character and the story. I was going to say how happy I was that the couple didn’t have to have any misunderstandings that were just there to make the movie longer, but then that happened. Twice. Luckily, both arguments were over pretty quickly (no pun intended). Ralph Bellamy was great in his final scene and for a moment I actually thought we weren’t going to get a happy ending, so the movie must have been doing something right. Yes, it’s corny and sentimental at times and the ending is rushed, but it’s also very touching.

Most of the songs weren’t that great, though there were a few exceptions. The score is too piano-orientated, which was especially annoying during the love scene in the bar. At least have them touch keys that don’t produce dissonant chaos. I also know James Newton Howard can do much better. I’m not saying this score was bad at all, but they did underuse him and it’s just not Bedroom Dreams from The Tourist or Fateful Meeting from King Kong. Yay, I reviewed 600 films!

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I was going to say how happy I was that the couple didn’t have to have any misunderstandings that were just there to make the movie longer, but then that happened. Twice

I dunno if there exists a rom com where this doesn't happen