What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

On 4/20/2021 at 7:40 PM, Quintus said:

I didn't get online till 2003-04 and didn't find JWFan till '05. I was massively into Empire online forums before I was here, but corporate eventually shut it down. I even met and shagged a female member I met on there, a mod! Ah, those were the days. 

Not much chance of that with this place ... even if you were a single man nowadays, pretty much a sausage-fest round here.  

Alien

Ridley Scott's best movie, period. It still feels contemporary, and the slow buildup still works well. The shocks still pack a punch, effects are seamless and Sigourney Weaver's performance still engaging.

Even though Scott and editor Terry Rawlings butchered Goldsmith's wonderful score in the film, how they used it with the "Freud" cues makes the film so wonderfully effective.

Those monitors do perfectly fit in the grungy Alien/Metal Hurlant aesthetic, which my favorite part of the movie. I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

The coming of flat screens was a thing very few "old" scifi movies anticipated, that's always funny to rewatch!

37 minutes ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

They need to up those computer graphics to make them more modern.

Love those too! The same computer graphic was used in Blade Runner.

alien_0_14_22.jpg

Transparent flat screens would only turn Alien into Prometheus.

On the other hand, most contemporary movies don't feel as mature neither as artistic as Alien. Today, everything is much more about actors and their star power.

Detroit. 

After the first 50 minutes, I was going to write that the musicians were rather annoying and that I felt as though this movie wasn’t offering me any reason to keep watching. After all, I already knew that racism is disgusting and looting is wrong. Then, I got to the motel scene. Oh, my goodness. How many more times am I going to feel outraged and murderous after finding out about such things? Mankind is so utterly stupid.

James Newton Howard’s score does what it needs to do, but anyone, literally anyone, could have written it. This is another example of a brilliant composer being asked to write totally forgettable music.

11 minutes ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

Mad Max is what Stiff thinks Australia is like in real life.

Thankfully the leads didn't speak in.that unbearable Aussie accent.

Blechhh!😰

12 minutes ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

It will be.

It. Will. Be.

1 hour ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

What? Australia doesn't looks like that with more kangaroos, Hugh Jackman and Margot Robbie? Damn I'm disappointed... :biglaugh:

On 4/22/2021 at 6:50 AM, May the Force be with You said:

Casper
A really fun movie with probably one of Horner's best achievement and definitely one of my top 3 Horner's score

I really love the cue where Bill Pullman speaks to his dead wife, who oddly doesn't look like a cartoon spectre. Good effort from Horny.

Minority Report

Watched it twice, once alone and once with my brother.

I'm not sure I like it all that much, but the pacing is excellent and the visual quality is striking.

Maybe I just don't like Tom Cruise.   

3/4

Currently watching the first Hobbit. Only seen it once, in HFR, during the theatrical run. Christ, watching it in 24fps is like...watching a film! (Albeit a mediocre one with too narrow a shutter angle.)

Red Sparrow.

All the actors except Edgerton are great, especially Lawrence and Irons, but I still dislike Russians speaking English with accents to each other. It’s a little convoluted too, but the final twists were good, minus Lawrence and Edgerton’s superfluous final romantic moment.

The first score cue must have been really difficult to compose and I love how it perfectly simultaneously follows the dancing and completely different actions. Having said that, it could have been better, or maybe I’m just unfamiliar with Russian dance music. The score is definitely too ominous, though: there is no room for any emotion except brooding ambience. I did like the Swan Lake reference, but ultimately the Grieg piece sounded more lively than anything JNH composed, the whole thing badly needs reverb and why did we get drums and guitars for one second in that prison cell (and yet another D minor climax?)

6 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Currently watching the first Hobbit. Only seen it once, in HFR, during the theatrical run. Christ, watching it in 24fps is like...watching a film! (Albeit a mediocre one with too narrow a shutter angle.)

I like AUJ. It's the best Hobbit movie and the 4th best Middle Earth movie directed by Jackson... lol

But it was the only one I didn't watched in HFR. For Desolation and BOTFA I went specifically to theaters showing them in HFR.

Seven Years on Tibet

How come Brad Pitt didn't got canceled on Twitter for making this movie? His character is a nazi, he does blackface in a scene and make fun of foreigners... Maybe the people who would cancel him haven't even born when this movie came out?

Meh, just kidding. It's a solid drama with a great, albeit discrete, score by Williams.

Hehe, we almost watched that last night, but went with Presumed Innocent instead

(I'm finally making an effort to see all the JW-scored films I haven't seen yet)

Over the last few weeks, a few Williams-scored movies appeared on Netflix, so I've been watching them: Sleepers, now SYIT... Curiously, both are starred by Brad Pitt, so Netflix's algorithm may think I'm a fan of his, lol.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Over the last few weeks, a few Williams-scored movies appeared on Netflix, so I've been watching them: Sleepers, now SYIT... Curiously, both are starred by Brad Pitt, so Netflix's algorithm may think I'm a fan of his, lol.

It's funny how things vary from country to country.  Here, we have Presumed Innocent and 7 Years in Tibet on HBO Max, Black Sunday, Sabrina and Angela's Ashes on Amazon Prime, Accidental Tourist, Nixon, and Missouri Breaks on Hoopla, Heartbeeps on Roku, and then Born on the Fourth of July, Stepmom, The Fury, Family Plot, The River, Always, Sleepers and Midway aren't free anywhere

{These are the remaining post-Jaws JW films I haven't seen yet, now that I've caught up on Dracula, Witches of Eastwick, Stanley & Iris, Far and Away, Rosewood, and Amistad in recent years}