What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Jurassic World : Fallen Kingdom - this is pacy fun whilst still on Isla Nublar, but loses something when it moves to the Lockwood estate despite plentiful dino action. Still, Chris Pratt provides serviceable square-jawed heroism, Rafe Spall and Toby Jones are suitably nasty pieces of work as the villains, and Bryce Dallas Howard and Daniella Pineda are agreeable eye-candy. And there's also a cameoing Jeff Goldblum.  

On 10/06/2022 at 6:08 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

BLACK RAIN

A good-looking, but rather tiresome, and, ultimately, stupid, piece of fluff.

2/5 must do better.

Seem to remember quite liking this at the time, but haven't seen it since. I see it's now on All 4 after its Film 4 screening last week, might give it a watch one night next week. 

The proposal.

That was much, much better than I thought it would be. Why does Rotten Tomatoes still exist? They should at least overhaul their rating system.

First, it was really great to watch something that wasn’t being audio-described by that Netflix lady/computer who has taken over the entire industry. (And this British woman was great too: ‘If looks could kill…)

And my God, Sandra Bullock was sure busy in 2009. Didn’t recognise Craig T. Nelson, even Betty White had a very moving moment and I was genuinely invested in the whole thing until that stupid, final interview sequence had to end things.

Most of the music is really good and I was moved more than once, especially during the boat scene, which the composer totally nailed, and during Pachelbel’s canon at the wedding. But then, at other moments, when the score needed to be emotional, I desperately, desperately needed it to be more. And it makes no sense as Zigman clearly seemed to be up to the task, also because the exuberant cues are all outstanding. Bad direction? Strange.

He's 40th today so what else to watch!

E.T.

Such a perfect picture, there's no words for it so here are a few of my favourite pics:

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

(a little speed up before putting the full movie here...)

image.png

(next one is not the most iconic from that scene but is still gorgeous...)

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Okay because I have to once

image.png

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Remind me, again. Was that the one with Philip Seymour Hoffman, or the one on the world's tallest building, or one with Rebecca Ferguson in a very hot black bikini?

The one with the tallest building

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Remind me, again. Was that the one with Philip Seymour Hoffman, or the one on the world's tallest building, or one with Rebecca Ferguson in a very hot black bikini?

Sadly, it's NOT the one with Ferguson in the bikini. That one has the best MI score by Joe Kraemer.

--

The Red Shoes

The movie itself is a great film, but it's that surrealistic and abstract ballet sequence that seals the deal (and the one everyone talks about). It is an amazing testament to cinematographer Jack Cardiff, the set designers and Powell and Pressburger's vision.

Just exquisite. Moira Shearer is also quite ravishing.

4 hours ago, Matt C said:

The Red Shoes

The movie itself is a great film, but it's that surrealistic and abstract ballet sequence that seals the deal (and the one everyone talks about). It is an amazing testament to cinematographer Jack Cardiff, the set designers and Powell and Pressburger's vision.

Just exquisite. Moira Shearer is also quite ravishing.

THE RED SHOES is, without a single shadow of a doubt, one of the greatest pieces of art, ever created for cinema.

WHO SAW HER DIE

Continuing my George Lazenby retrospective.

GL looks like he just escaped from Japanese P.O.W. camp here!

I'm done with giallo; every film has the same tired formula.

Don't understand the cult following beyond seeing hot Euro babes nekkid

It's such a comfy movie, ain't it? Carpenter fans love The Thing and I appreciate that, but perhaps it's a bit too cold and bleak for me to ever got too invested in it compared to the warmth I've always felt for Antonio Bay's townsfolk.

(And it says a lot that I remember the name of the town too! I usually can't be bothered to remember place or character names unless it's Muppet-related! Even if I mainly remember it because of Adrienne Barbeau's character and her radio voice)

Saw Candyman 2021 today. Decent film that explores the black experience of racial horror. 

9 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

It's such a comfy movie, ain't it? Carpenter fans love The Thing and I appreciate that, but perhaps it's a bit too cold and bleak for me to ever got too invested in it compared to the warmth I've always felt for Antonio Bay's townsfolk.

(And it says a lot that I remember the name of the town too! I usually can't be bothered to remember place or character names unless it's Muppet-related! Even if I mainly remember it because of Adrienne Barbeau's character and her radio voice)

I like John Houseman's turn as an old, salty seadog. 

12 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

WHO SAW HER DIE

Continuing my George Lazenby retrospective.

GL looks like he just escaped from Japanese P.O.W. camp here!

I'm done with giallo; every film has the same tired formula.

Don't understand the cult following beyond seeing hot Euro babes nekkid

Think you answered your own question in that last line there. 

'Cubby Broccoli said I'd end up making Spaghetti Westerns. Not quite ... it was Kung Fu movies' - George Lazenby. 

9 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Yet another remake that was forgotten in a week. It probably made some money anyhoo.

Not at all. Its not a remake but a continuation 

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's a real shame. A tight, stripped-down, no-nonsense DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, with Lazenby, picking up where OHMSS left off, is, probably, the best Bond film never made.

Wrong

OHMSS starring Connery is the best Bond never made.

Im a big fan of DAF - the first half at least

The beginning of the DAF pre-credits sequence with Bond on a seemingly angrily vengeful search for Blofeld does seem to be picking up from where OHMSS left off. But then things turn camp ('Making mudpies, 007?'), and the film more or less stays there.   

14 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Think you answered your own question in that last line there. 

But, how do you explain the ' academic' interest of folks think they are worthy of SERIOUS study?!😳

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The beginning of the DAF pre-credits sequence with Bond on a seemingly angrily vengeful search for Blofeld does seem to be picking up from where OHMSS left off. But then things turn camp ('Making mudpies, 007?'), and the film more or less stays there.   

Agreed.

"Right idea, wrong pussy".

"Weren't you a blonde, when I came in?"

"Which do you prefer?"

"Providing the collars and cuffs match...".

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

But, how do you explain the ' academic' interest of folks think they are worthy of SERIOUS study?!😳

They just like blood 'n' boobies too, but hate admitting it. 

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed.

"Right idea, wrong pussy".

"Weren't you a blonde, when I came in?"

"Which do you prefer?"

"Providing the collars and cuffs match...".

DAF certainly has its moments, but those who aren't fond of the Bonds becoming too comedic need to stop blaming Moore for same. DAF is where it starts. 

On 06/06/2022 at 3:54 PM, bruce marshall said:

PIECES

Grindhouse bluray

Beautiful naked, Spanish co-eds are being killed by a chainsaw wielding maniac.

What's not to like?😅

Well there's the random kung-fu jogger and the final "dismemberment" that makes me wince.

You're right, what's not to like?  Fun movie.

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Well there's the random kung-fu jogger and the final "dismemberment" that makes me wince.

You're right, what's not to like?  Fun movie.

The BR includes an version with the audience reactions.

The two biggest laughs were the kung-fu guy and Linda Day yelling "bastard, bastard, bastard!"

5 hours ago, Andy said:

and the final "dismemberment"

Nice#😉

Yeah

I'm not a fan of slasher pics, especially those  that take themselves seriously and are grim and dark.

PIECES wasn't intentionally idiotic.

which is why it's campy fun and not degrading

Madagascar 3.

Needed some light-hearted stuff tonight. Forgot that everyone was unhappy in Africa and don’t really like Chris Rock and Dubois, but mostly liked Gloria and Julien made me laugh so hard a few times that I had to wipe my eyes. It might be a little action-heavy, but bring on that sequel.

This is a side of Hans Zimmer that I absolutely adore. Why? Why did he waste time on The Dark Knight and Man of Steel if he can clearly do much, much better than this? What a score! Loved the African opening, all the great (theme) variations, the Doyle-esque romance and adventure cues… A few parts do need more reverb, though. Oh great, Balfe scored the spin-off. Typical.

Psycho (Director's Cut) - cinema screening for this most iconic of Hitchcock thrillers. Anthony Perkins is, of course, extraordinary as the tortured and murderous Norman Bates.

This cut consists of 13 extra seconds here and there throughout the film.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Do these 13 seconds add much to the overall arc of the film?

Any "unicorn" scenes?

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

...murderous Norman Bates.

...or is he? ;)

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Psycho (Director's Cut) - cinema screening for this most iconic of Hitchcock thrillers. Anthony Perkins is, of course, extraordinary as the tortured and murderous Norman Bates.

Did they restore the shot of Leighs butt?😙

On 12/06/2022 at 7:05 PM, JoeinAR said:

Saw Candyman 2021 today. Decent film that explores the black experience of racial horror. 

I borrowed this thinking it was a reissue of the ORIGINAL film!

Very stylishly directed- the shadow puppets was a nice touch!....but the script... 😒.

It really offered little new and recycled the whole art gallery bit from C3.

I like the lead actor but he was totally miscast as an artist.

How many painters have physiques  like professional athletes/bodybuilders?

I did like the exploration of the theme of urban gentrification.

Interesting score.

SUMMER OF SOUL

Thanks to Will Smith nobody was talking about this timely and important documentary.

GREAT music, great history.

Thankfully , the producers didn't alter the original, shot on.video, and newsreel footage for " widescreen tv".

22 hours ago, filmmusic said:

p8358_p_v8_ac.jpg

Nice spy adventure film with E.T.'s Elliot after E.T., that I didn't know of its existence.

Also nice score by Brian May.

Wild!  I watched it last night too.  The new Blu Ray is a spectacular presentation.  I grew up with this one, so I completely identified with Henry Thomas.   The new Blu notes how particularly gruesome and intense the peril is for what was a PG family film.   With all the guns being fired by and at kids, it took a niche label like Vinegar Syndrome for Universal to license this out.  And they put it in the most deluxe, swanky box set with magnetic clasps, ribbon, and a thick booklet. 

The score is very 80s Amblin-esque. Recorded very crisp and sprightly, it would appeal to anyone who enjoys the score to Wargames. 

21 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Do these 13 seconds add much to the overall arc of the film?

Any "unicorn" scenes?

...or is he? ;)

The likes of Arbogast's murder is a little longer, I understand. But they don't add anything earth-shattering, no. 

Sorry, @bruce marshall ... no Leigh butt shot, not even in 2022.