What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Too bad, Richard, even his strongest haters like Edmilson and Koray can enjoy this one. It's quite un-Snyder-like.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dawn-of-the-dead-masterpiece/

https://screenrant.com/dawn-dead-2004-zack-snyder-best-movie/

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I've started my Halloween month of horror films.

Dawn of the dead (1978)

I fell asleep after 45 minutes.

7.8 at imdb for this??? :huh:

It as well highly depends on which edit you get to watch. There is a pretty cut down official version available, then the theatrical uncut version of Argento, the theatrical uncut version of Romero and an extended cut with all scenes from both theatrical version and an ultimate cut consisting of the extended cut plus anything they ever found, that didn't make it into any version. I haven't seen them all. But this movie is a bloody masterpiece. And the remake is great and probably the only Snyder movie, I like. But Romero just liked the beginning and was bored by the rest. Even though it's better than all his recent zombie efforts.

I didn't make it to the end of Dawn Of The Dead either when I tried to watch it ... eh, reckon that more recent zombie (and consumer capitalist satire)  stuff with higher production values etc just made it seem kinda cheesy to me. Probably would've had more of an impact if I'd seen it in my teens on VHS in the Eighties.  

I watched the recent 4K set a couple of weeks ago and thought it was brilliant. It was my first time. Not everything works but the overall satirical angle worked very well.

Karol

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Too bad, Richard, even his strongest haters like Edmilson and Koray can enjoy this one. It's quite un-Snyder-like.

My favorite Snyder movie, followed by Watchmen.

War Hot Shots GIF - War Hot Shots Fantastic - Discover & Share GIFs

Hot Shots: Part Deux

Oh man, this is as much of a hoot as the first film!  Both are full of laughs, swiftly paced, and don't go on for any longer than they have to (both are rolling the end credits well before the 90 minute mark)

Charlie Sheen, Lloyd Bridges, and Valeria Golino all return and are just as funny (I like that they kept the running bit with Golino's jokes), and even Ryan Stiles (who had a brief, unrecognizable role in the first movie) gets to play a new character that was a lot of fun.  They are joined by Richard Crenna, Miguel Ferrer, Rowan Atkinson and many others all of whom are funny, especially Ferrer.

The plot is better than the first one, and parodying Rambo and other war type movies gives them a broader brush to paint with than largely sticking to a Top Gun parody in the first one.  Lots of great sight gags throughout. 

These 2 films are just as good as the Naked Gun films!  Now, on to Airplane 1 and 2, and Top Secret!

It's on HBO Max

When I was young I loved those slapstick comedies.

Now, I only see the scatological and sexist jokes (I'll not even talk about the homophobic ones), and I'm sick just thinking about it.

I guess we’re talking about Personal Growth when we no longer identify with the white heterosexual male American mob.

For me personal evolution affects what I want out of new content; it doesn't make me stop liking things from the past I used to like when things were different

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I instinctively know what you mean, Alex, but, in what ways did ten years go by so quickly, for you?

Time feels like it's speeding up as we get older. Nobody knows why.

29 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Time feels like it's speeding up as we get older. Nobody knows why.

I read once, the more daily routines you have and regularly reoccurring activities, that don't vary much, the faster the time flies by, because these routines are not saved that properly in memory. So, at memorizing things, these activities get usually skipped, unless you go to the backup safe and get the tape. With age you get less and less new extraordinary experiences. That is why, looking back, time went faster.

Makes perfect sense to me.

The war of the roses.

Hmm… I don’t know how to feel about it, to be honest. Michael Douglas was great and Kathleen Turner grew on me. I needed half an hour to warm up to it, but really had a good time after that, until the ending came, which I just think was too extreme. Not the whole chandelier scene, but the way it concluded. I wanted a happy ending. Or at least happyish, an amicable divorce maybe. Not this. Also my first Danny DeVito movie, he's good.

The score has lots of nice Christmas-y cues, but unfortunately also too many Elfmanesque material.

Promising Young Woman

I've wanted so this ever since it came out, but somehow never got to it, until today.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant. One of the best films I've seen.

The screenplay rightly won the Oscar. It's very well written and the twists were unexpected and strong. The ending totally took my by surprise but it was perfect. Just incredible.

Emerald Fennell has done a wonderful job on this I'm kind of surprised she didn't get more work of of this.

Carey Mulligan gives a powerhouse performance. What an actress.

All the aupporting cast are very good but this is fullt the Mulligan & Fennell show.

I loved it soooo much!

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The ending totally took my by surprise but it was perfect.

I thought the film was (mostly) brilliant, but that the ending was its main weakness, being something of a cop out.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Emerald Fennell has done a wonderful job on this I'm kind of surprised she didn't get more work of of this.

It hasn't been long! She'll certainly find herself well-placed to get funding for her next film.

4 hours ago, Jay said:
4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Is it the same story?

Yea

Well, more or less. Lynch lynchified the whole thing, while Villeneuve stayed true to the book but dropped at least half the story (of the half he's filmed so far).

I remember watching the Alien directors cut in cinema thinking a too clear picture doesn't do necessarily any good to the picture. Especially the scenes of outside the spaceship looked quite aged. It didn't look like a spaceship anymore but like a plastic model in front of a star picture wall.

On 12/10/2022 at 6:47 AM, AC1 said:

He did change a male character into a female character. It is 2022 after all.

In the new Hellraiser, Pinhead is trans. Because there just wasn't enough representation of that community amongst the demonic one, or something.    

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

In the new Hellraiser, Pinhead is trans. Because there just wasn't enough representation of that community amongst the demonic one, or something.    

In fairness, series creator Clive Barker did actually make the character female in a series of comics he did once (plus is supposed to be more ambiguous in the original novella), so he certainly doesn't think there's an issue with that idea being a thing.

Besides, outside of The Ring, can you really think of a particularly iconic female horror villain? I suppose the Conjuring series has a few, but those are a bit too new to say for sure yet. I'm also unsure if Carrie really counts as well.