What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

35 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Sitting in the movie theater this seemed endless. And I almost fell asleep.

I love Little Buddha!

Too bad that there is no blu-ray in the OAR.

The Prince of Egypt

Great score and songs, most impressive scenes in an enjoyable animation feature about Moses' story.

The Ten Commandments still is my favourite incarnation of the story, but this is a worthy adaptation too!

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

The Ten Commandments still is my favourite incarnation of the story, but this is a worthy adaptation too!

Wouldn't you rather play Goofy Golf? Or watch Pinnochio? Which is a lot of furry animals and magic and a wonderful time.

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

It's certainly shorter.

That movie is almost four hours long!

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

The Prince of Egypt

Great score and songs, most impressive scenes in an enjoyable animation feature about Moses' story.

One of my favorite animated movies of all time. A masterpiece of animation and music, featuring one of Zimmer's best scores ever (I like it even more than Lion King).

This song never fails to bring a smile to my face and a tear to my eye:

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Pretty sure he was referring to Prince of Egypt.

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Wouldn't you rather play Goofy Golf? Or watch Pinnochio? Which is a lot of furry animals and magic and a wonderful time.

I told 'em they could only watch five of the commandments.

I don't mind long movies, as long as I have the time. (but I do mind when those long movies are full of CGI, like Avatar.)

Easter is coming here in a week, so I've started watching biblical or Christian related films.

Tonight maybe it's Ben Hur. The 1959 version of course.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

(but I do mind when those long movies are full of CGI, like Avatar.)

And all the rotoscoping and rear-projection in the DeMille movie is different…how?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

And all the rotoscoping and rear-projection in the DeMille movie is different…how?

You're asking me how are practical effects different from computer effects?

computer effects are pretty great. Perhaps, in Avatar, you dislike that it's an animated movie, or the character designs (i dislike them myself), or the amount of creature work needed (i like that, myself)?

The optical effects in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, as crude as they may be, are there to serve the story.

The CGIs in AVATAR, are the story. They are the sole reason that AVATAR exists.

Unlike the effects in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, the effects in AVATAR have no integrity.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

You're asking me how are practical effects different from computer effects?

how is a rotoscoped pillar of fire “practical”?!

and really, if there is a distinction to be made it’s between in-camera effects and not-in-camera ones, and the effects in The Ten Commandments are anything but in-camera.

I'm going to see a religiously inspirational movie tonight ...

... yep, the local arthouse cinema is screening The Big Lebowski. I'd rather shit in my hands then clap than watch an ACTUAL Biblical flick, tbh.  

Ben-Hur is the best biblical movie (coming from an atheist lol). Kingdom of Heaven is religious rather than biblical, but it’s great, also.

I like biblical epic films and U2 is my favorite band. I don’t know what that says about me

Big Lebowski is one of my very favorite movies, for sure. Speaking of weirdly religious, anyone seen Hail! Caesar? I really liked that one. Between that and Marriage Story, I’ve really changed my opinion on Scarlet Johansson as an actress.

Just now, Schilkeman said:

Ben-Hur is the best biblical movie (coming from an atheist lol). Kingdom of Heaven is religious rather than biblical, but it’s great, also.

Ben Hur is two movies: a 150-minute revenge movie and a 45-minute retelling of the Passion.

After the Chariot race, when the first movie is over, it becomes a drag.

a recommended movie with religious content: Irati by Paul Urkijo from last year (also a sword and sorcery movie lol). it's a very small movie and it doesn't reinvent the wheel, but

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

a 150-minute revenge movie

That’s the religious part, if you’re paying attention. 

“And I felt His voice take the sword out of my hand.”

It all goes together.

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

computer effects are pretty great. Perhaps, in Avatar, you dislike that it's an animated movie, or the character designs (i dislike them myself), or the amount of creature work needed (i like that, myself)?

I don't know. Continuous CGI tires me. I don't mind it if it's here and there, like in Terminator 2 for example, but I cannot stand it in recent movies.

That's why I don't know if I should watch Avatar 2 or not.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

how is a rotoscoped pillar of fire “practical”?!

and really, if there is a distinction to be made it’s between in-camera effects and not-in-camera ones, and the effects in The Ten Commandments are anything but in-camera.

exactly

Perhaps the differentiation should be made between "optical", and "digital".

Optical effects involves the use of practical elements of some kind (minatures; matte paintings; the use of real elements such as fire and water). Of course, these have to be composited within a camera, but, to all intents and purposes, they are "real".

Digital effects, on the other hand, are created exclusively, within a computer, and contain no practical elements, whatsoever.

Of course the effects of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS are not in-camera, but, to these eyes, at least, they look more real than CGIs will ever look.

They all look fake, just in different ways. Maybe because I kind of grew up as cg was advancing, but it’s never bothered me. The cg dinosaurs in Jurassic Park look just as cool as the robotic ones, to me at least.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Perhaps the differentiation should be made between "optical", and "digital".

Optical effects involves the use of practical elements of some kind (minatures; matte paintings; the use of real elements such as fire and water). Of course, these have to be composited within a camera, but, to all intents and purposes, they are "real".

Digital effects, on the other hand, are created exclusively, within a computer, and contain no practical elements, whatsoever.

Of course the effects of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS are not in-camera, but, to these eyes, at least, they look more real than CGIs will ever look.

Again, something like the pillar of fire is NOT real. It’s rotoscoped: it’s painted. The only difference to CGI is the addition of generation loss.

The Big Lebowski - local arthouse cinema 25th anniversary screening. This shaggiest of 'shaggy dog stories' is still one of the Coens' funniest movies, with hilarious performances from all concerned.

The Dude abides!

I remember rewatching Gladiator for the first time in many years. “Oh Gladiator’s on! Haven’t seen it in ages! Oh well, I’m on the way out but let’s sit down for some twenty minutes and see what it’s like.”

I could have sworn it really was twenty minutes…it wasn’t.

28 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've posted before, and I'll post again; MASTER AND COMMANDER is among the finest films this century, and is, also, a fantastic meditation on male friendship.

A thousand times this. Also one of the best studies of leadership ever put to film. 

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I remember rewatching Gladiator for the first time in many years. “Oh Gladiator’s on! Haven’t seen it in ages! Oh well, I’m on the way out but let’s sit down for some twenty minutes and see what it’s like.”

I could have sworn it really was twenty minutes…it wasn’t.

One of the greatest first 20 minutes of a film ever. Just an unbelievable opening that still holds up, and the cinematography is such that it looks like it could have been filmed yesterday. I still use it show off my Home Theatre. 

Damn, now I'm going to have to rewatch both of these Crowe Classics!

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

One of the greatest first 20 minutes of a film ever. Just an unbelievable opening that still holds up, and the cinematography is such that it looks like it could have been filmed yesterday.

I caught the movie a way's in, so I missed the beginning that time around. My point was rather than I watched at least 90 minutes if not 120 minute-worth of it, and I could have sworn I just sat down for 20 minutes.