What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Should I watch that? What does it do exactly? It adds a backstory, it changes things, what?

Yes to all. Watched it a couple of weeks ago, it was a lot of fun.

Yes definitely watch it.  It's a superior version of the film than the theatrical cut.  There's more character development.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes, definitely watch it.  It's a superior version of the film to the theatrical cut. There's more character development.

Fixed.

MV5BMTgxNjQ0MjAwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjI1NDEyOQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Woah, those reviews are a bit hyperbolic, aren't they. 

What the hell are these people saying? This is so pretentious. Whedon casts a bunch of attractive white people, many of which are Buffy and Angel alumni, in a wordy black and white adaptation of Shakespeare full of attractive people in designer clothes in a banal Los Angeles property with surfaces cluttered with booze in the early 2010s. I don't know what the hell they're saying a lot of the time, but it somehow works. Whedon makes sure we know how to feel and who to root for. It's basically a chick flick with bizarre dialogue.

Mad Max: Fury Road - Black & Chrome version.

Definitely makes the film look bleaker. Some of action shots look even more bonkers.

Almost like a biblical epic of the silent era. 

The films constantly shifting frame rates add to that. 

I somehow noticed more in this how focused and physical the performances of Theron and Hardy are. 

Tom Holkenborg's score is great.

It does a very effective job in suggestion movement and mayhem. 

There's a lot more CGI in this than people seemed to think. But its used the way you're "supposed" to use it.

That Mother Of All Storms is CGI and looks pretty awesome.

Brilliant real explosions and feminist themes.

**** Out of *****

Stefan Cosman 

Saw some films over the previous weekend

Spoiler

fXbMtSF.jpeg

ZS0QkJo.jpeg

3473AZ3.jpeg

2l0vx7X.jpeg

Was pretty alright, I suppose

We watched an underrated cinematic masterpiece for Father's Day:

Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)

image.jpeg

This was one of those movies that I saw with a crowd. Half of us loved it. Half of us hated it. My wife is a Meg Ryan fangirl and she did not finish the movie with us. My kids said they liked it. (Buckle up, kids. This summer we're having a 40th anniversary screening of Buckaroo Banzai!)

For a movie that I adore this much I haven't seen it in somewhere around 30 years. (I don't THINK I ever got it on DVD.) But watching it yesterday was like meeting with an old friend. "I have no response to that." "I know he can GET the job but can he DO the job?" Several lines from this film became part of my college crowd's language for a few years. I don't like Sleepless and Seattle. I love You've Got Mail. But this is my favorite Hanks / Ryan film.

And the score? I don't care if you like this movie or not, you just HAVE to love this score. It is unabashedly lovely. Aggressively pretty. In a world of nearly limitless streaming choices it is almost a crime that this is not available. (It does appear to be on YouTube.)

I recently picked up the score and like you want to revisit the movie after three decades. I think it may be a misunderstood film. 

A misunderstood cinematic masterpiece? 'Joe versus the Volcano'?

image.gif

IMG_0433.jpeg

I have somehow missed John Milius’ next film after Conan the Barbarian. I’m glad I watched it now, because it‘s a very thought-provoking film. And a great Basil Poledouris score.

32 minutes ago, Davis said:

IMG_0433.jpeg

I have somehow missed John Milius’ next film after Conan the Barbarian. I’m glad I watched it now, because it‘s a very thought-provoking film. And a great Basil Poledouris score.

I've been making my kids watch a bunch of 40th anniversary movies this year. I should add this to the list.

8 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

A misunderstood cinematic masterpiece? 'Joe versus the Volcano'?

I would call it "unappreciated" rather than "misunderstood". This was also the same year that gave us Gremlins 2, another film I kept subjecting, er, offering to my friends with mixed reactions.

It’s over the top, completely different from the first film, and that’s what makes it a great sequel. 

The first will always be the better one simply because it started the Gremlins “franchise”. The second one is way more fun, Gremlins on steroids, like the filmmakers thought “we don’t have a decent story, so let’s put every crazy idea we can think of and put it in the film”. And in a weird way it works. If you don’t compare the two films to each other, G2 is a pretty enjoyable flick, but the first one will always be the classic. 

Ricochet

Anyone else ever seen this crap? It's so bad it's good level just because of John Lithgow's hammy performance. I gotta see Raising Cain next.

9 minutes ago, Davis said:

I love DARK CITY. 

It looks nice and slick, but the script didn't do it for me. And Keifer Sutherland was laughably bad.

I think he played the lunatic well.

It’s a very clever film, a sci-fi noir.

And sexy Jennifer Connelly is always a big plus. 

It came out a year before The Matrix and The Thirteenth Floor, so in a way it was the first “reality is an illusion” film.

Ah yeah I'm sure it's popular in those "life is really a simulation" nutjob circles.

I wouldn't fault Dark City for its aesthetics, or Jennifer Connelly looking fine as fuck as usual, but I found it largely an ambitious misfire. It reminded me a lot of another US/Australian production, Daybreakers.

Btw, I don't care for The Matrix much either, but I liked The Thirteenth Floor.

I really like Dark City (and Trevor Jones’ terrific score). First time I watched it we arrived late at the cinema and missed the first 5/10 minutes so had no idea what was going on and while it was immensely confusing at the time, it actually made it more enjoyable as you got to learn the truth in time with the characters rather than being ahead of them. It made it much more mysterious and interesting to me and I was quite disappointed when I watched it again to see you got all the background at the start. 

With films like Dark City, Thirteenth Floor and The Matrix that have a big twist, the first viewing is always the most impactful, when you realize together with the protagonist what is going on. All subsequent viewings are enjoyable, too, but that “woah!” feeling is sadly gone.  

4 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

There was a glut of simulation flicks at that time. Anyone else remember eXistenZ?

I remember the title and possibly having seen it, but not much else. Is it good?

1 minute ago, Davis said:

I remember the title and possibly having seen it, but not much else. Is it good?

It's entertaining and batshit insane although fairly tame compared to some of Cronenberg's other works. I think he wanted to clean up his act a little after Crash – retroactively retitled Trash.