What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's pretty terrible nowadays, barely watchable. A bit of a relic.

You don't understand ... it was terrible (kitsch) back then too. I saw it at the cinema ... and yes, Steef, Ornella Muti was amazingly beautiful.

Alex

Nah, what it is is you don't understand me. I enjoyed it on that kitsch level up until recently, when I caught it again and realised it had just become awful, like old Doctor Who episodes. Unlike you, I have outgrown its novelty charms, that's all.

A proper, better kitsch movie which has lasting appeal for me is Rocky Horror, with its awesome soundtrack and Tim Curry in tights.

Murder On The Orient Express

This film reminds me of The Sting, which i saw a few weeks ago. A 70's film that feels like a throwback to earlier times.

Sidney Lumet, in some ways one of Hollywood's most underrated directors directs an all-star cast in a small set that somehow seems both claustrophobic and luxurious.

The film bathes in the soft focus glow that reminds one of the Golden Age of cinema.

Albert Finney transforms from a young English man to an older Belgian detective and plays the role, the first time it has been played in a film I think, with irresistable penache and style. I read the Hercule Poirot novels when I was much younger. And Finney captures him perfectly.

Of the rest of the cast in particular Ingrid Bergman impresses with her brief role, only one major scene which rightfully earned her an Oscar. Interrogated by Poirot, thinking she is getting away with something, her face discretely betraying that fact is a delight in acting. Her pronounced Swedish accent is icing on the cake.

The score by the recently deceased Richard Rodney Bennet carries all the suspense, and opulence expected in a film like this. His cue for the departure of the train is smashing.

Some might call it very conventional film making, but it's flawless and stylish in it's execution.

Unlike you, I have outgrown its novelty charms, that's all.

Me? I haven't seen it in 30 years.

If you have said its kitsch is now outdated in the kitsch department in your first post, Quint, maybe I would've believed you. Now I feel you only adjusted your motive. Based on your choice of words in that post, I still think you didn't understand.

I think we have 2 different threads for 2 different films.

Film 1 - "Flash Gordon": of course it's kitch! It's supposed to be kitch, and that's why I love it (that and the sight of Ornela Muti in red lycra!)!

The effects are ridiculous, but I will say that the skies of Mongo look like a million dollars. The sets are never less than interesting, and the photography by Gil Taylor, no less (along with Mike Hodges, a victim of "Damien:Omen II") is stunning. The score is pitched at just the right level between parody, and genuine pathos, and there are some surprisingly good performances (Timothy Dalton, Peter Wyngarde). It's not the best film ever made, but it's certainly not the worst. Perhaps it should be filed (like "The Swarm") under "so bad it's good"? Yes, it's silly, but, as The Doctor has said: "what's wrong with silly?".

Film 2 - "MOTOE": this is (no pun intended) a first-class film!!!! It is pure opulence, and it wears it like a very big badge.

Begining with some astonishing shots of Istanbul (what else do you expect from Goeffrey Unsworth?) to the last shots of the train being rescued from the snow, the film never lets up. The absolutely brilliant emsemble cast give it their all, with Finney rising head and shoulders above everyone else. Best line is Lauren Bacall's "I have enjoyed relationships with my second husband many times". "With the lights out?". "It helped!" perfect.

it is a throwback, to be sure, but that is the film's intention, and a very great part of its appeal. It's entertainment that does not rely on shoot-em-ups, or explosions, or graphic violence. Rather, it gets by on people just talking to each other, and it's a lesson that modern films could use well.

FLASH! AHAAAAAA!

Cheesy but wonderfully entertaining 80's sci fi.

Many of these types of film from that era are unwatchable because they look low budget and cheesy. This film looks low budget at first but actually isn't. And the cheese is very intentional.

Like said about the background shots of the skies and such are really mesmerising.

A good cast, in a way. Dalton seems to be the only one playing it straight. Blessed is a hoot to watch. Anderson sweet as a button, Max von Sydow relishes in his villain.

And Ornella Mutti is just sheer sex sex sex...

We can see why Dalton character considers her a selfish bitch, we also see why he goes along with her. I know I would. I know Alex would.

The scene of her character strapped to a table being whipped..... I felt dirty and sinful watching it.

Must but this film on Blu-ray!

Must buy a Blu-ray disc drive for my PC so I can screen capture....

******** out of ****

Unlike you, I have outgrown its novelty charms, that's all.

Me? I haven't seen it in 30 years.

If you have said its kitsch is now outdated in the kitsch department in your first post, Quint, maybe I would've believed you. Now I feel you only adjusted your motive. Based on your choice of words in that post, I still think you didn't understand.

Yeah, because Flash Gordon is a famously tough nut to crack, it's deeply ambiguous nature stupendously difficult to pin down. Heh heh, your insistence on turning everything said here (on JWFan) into a dance of wits, verbal ripostes and out-maneuvers sometimes becomes so excitablely enthused that I'm certain you forget what the original 'dispute' was in the first place - in this instance... Flash Gordon.

"I feel you have adjusted your motive".

Heh heh, you actually said that, in this conversation. About Flash Gordon.

Classic Belgian Cremers.

Lol, well you just continue thinking whatever you want about me and that old British campest, fill your boots ;)

What are you talking about? Tough nut to crack? Nobody ever claimed that. It's idiotic to even think that. No, anybody who says: "Be careful, Flash is dated" simply doesn't get it because Flash was never anything hip, trendy or good to start with. Sorry, Quint, you had your chance, there's no need to 'adjust' your position by saying how the bad is outdated. If this really is what you originally meant to say, well, then you would have said it like that.

And Ornella Mutti is just sheer sex sex sex...

We can see why Dalton character considers her a selfish bitch, we also see why he goes along with her. I know I would. I know Alex would.

The scene of her character strapped to a table being whipped..... I felt dirty and sinful watching it.

OMG! Really? Must ... resist ... going ... to ... the ... store ...and ... buy ... the ... Blu-ray ...

Alex

anybody who says: "Be careful, Flash is dated" simply doesn't get it because Flash was never anything hip, trendy or good to start with.

Where did I say that, Alex? Where exactly did I say that? Go back and show me. You can't, because you are rather cheaply - in order to enforce your own position, naturally - putting words in my mouth (it's what you do here).

"Adjust your position". Give it a bleedin' rest.

Nah, your blind pig-headedness is at fault here since you have clearly misinterpreted me quite ginormously, lol. Lost in translation?

But don't you concern yourself with that. Carry on...

There's a liiiiiiight (over at the Frankenstein place...)

There's a light, light in the darkness of everybody's life.......

Heart smitten

Awe lee you have my heart.

I doubt thats the part of you he is interested in.

Instead of singing at him, ask him why he has been so damn moody.

First poor Luke gets bashed, now Alex!

I think he's moody because he's got pent up energy.

True it's nice.

Though i would hate to live with you Lee in a house. It just would not work. Two overbearing twats.

I think i just crushed Ren's big dream!

Hey dude, I was only responding to quaint accusations in regards to that old British campfest (which I have simply outgrown). Seeing as it was the board's resident pseudo-intellectual who tossed 'em around I of course tackled him directly, since you know as well as I that he feeds on this stuff.

Anyway, do you consider yourself to be overbearing? Is it overbearing to refuse to be subjected to faceless casual ignorance?

And it's not mood; it's style.

:pukeface:

You really shouldn't take remarks like the one quoted quite so literally, Alice. I'm a very dry person.

Of course, what you wouldn't comprehend is that there's a context to how I interact with certain members here, seeing as we have jostled many times over the years, long before you joined. If the worst that happens is newbies take me at face value then I can live with that.

Someone like Karol understands and even enjoys that history.

Lee,my dreams are never about you mate.

My PMs from you suggest otherwise, lover boy!

I approve of your signature, a classic moment from a classic movie. Might have to rustle something up myself... ;)