What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Friday the 13th (1980)

I honestly don't see the praise gore-fans heap on it... the gore is minimal by today's standards, the acting is awful, and it's boring for the most part. The film earns points for some low-key atmosphere, but I attribute that to the low budget than anything else. But the smackdown between Betsy Palmer and Adrienne King at the end is laugh-out-loud hilarious, and gives the film some much-needed camp value. (Pun intended.)

What's more insulting is that this movie looks even cheaper than the film it rips off, Halloween. Now the latter was a beautiful masterpiece made on a small budget, $325K, compared to the shlocky Friday's budget of $550K.

I saw The Master over the weekend. And while I can't say I entirely understand it, I still loved it. It's something I need to watch again. A very intriguing piece of work with great performances by Hoffman and Phoenix. And I must say, it was beautifully shot as well.

I said it back when I saw it, but it felt like there was more to be told that was cut. Apparently not much was, as described by some article in which the writer described all the deleted footage, but I felt like it needed more to fully form as a narrative. Otherwise, it's visually breathtaking and Phoenix gives a powerhouse performance. My favorite scene is his "sexual" fantasy of the party sing and dance.

I guess we'll spend some cash to see the newest awful die hard film. looks dismal but as dave says it's still about going to the movies.

well we go most weekends, it's our way to get out, then go have a nice dinner. And who knows it might not suck like part 3 and 4 did.

well we go most weekends, it's our way to get out, then go have a nice dinner. And who knows it might not suck like part 3 and 4 did.

True. But you should watch Argo instead. You like thrillers with happy endings don't you?

True. But you should watch Argo instead. You like thrillers with happy endings don't you?

Argo left the theatres months ago Lee,

but I have my dates wrong Die Hard sucks ass 5 doesn't start until next week.

sideeffects starts here friday at 5:15. it doesn't look very good either but better than Identity Thief.

Watched The Dark Knight Rises last night for the first time in its entirety since last summer's theatrical run (and I've seen it way too many times back then ;)). Now that all the heat and anticipation-fueled debate is a long gone memory I can just watch the film for what it in fact is. And it turns out it is even stronger than I remember. Most things that bothered me back then can be either explained (they seriously can be) or didn't matter in the first place. The film just flew by and not for a second was I worried that there is so little Batman in it, What impresses me most about it is the sheer physicality of it all - it just feels so much more real than your usual blockbuster. Not in terms of story and themes, but rather as a piece of filmmaking. To think that all of that was shot by one unit, mostly for real, blows me away. One thing that stands out like a sore thumb is Zimmer's score - there is way too much of it and the mix is relentless (which was reportedly Nolan's intention). The film could have used a bit more breathing space. What becomes really apparent to me is that while the previous two films were pretty much stand-alone stories and you could watch them as they are, this one is clearly a third part of the trilogy and it is so much more enjoyable as such. I remember watching Batman Begins so time ago and thinking to myself "that ties nicely with the third film" several times. It's probably the most coherent (unplanned) trilogy that I ever watched. And a pretty unique take on Batman.

Karol

Oh my bad, Argo is still screening here i think

funny you mentioned Argo, it's being rereleased to the Theatres just before the Oscars in 2 weeks. It is back in town and while I can't today, it starts as I get off work, maybe this weekend.

Croc, I agree about the Dark Knight Rises, I enjoyed it much more this time around. It's flaws are minor compared to the overal scope of the film. The ending is just perfect.

that wasn't a very good movie, and the Joan Baez songs....aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

to some I suppose. Trumbull's work is very good for the time no doubt.

It's closest modern comparison would be to Moon, which some praise and others don't.

Finally watched War Horse.

I've changed my mind about Janusz Kaminski, I never knew he had it in him. One of the most lyrically striking films I've seen in years, the way the glorious English countryside is captured, everything kissed by the golden haze of the sun then extending to beautiful French scenery, it's all so gorgeous. The interiors too are full of character and warmth, the detailing absolute and real, furniture and faces always caught in the sun rays through windows, the whole picture was a real pleasure for me. And the dialogue doesn't ever once compete for limelight; happy instead to take second billing to the imagery.

This is how I always imagined The Lord of the Rings to look, Peter Jackson should have shot it exactly like this instead of the often uncanny artificial staging of his trilogy. What a shame.

The movie itself as far as the story and everything else go was less successful, indeed it was quite the mixed bag. Some parts work well yet others fail to really deliver both emotionally and narratively, an occasional overarching pathos frothing to the top was never really as successful as it should have been. There's some quite brilliant scenes in here, and nobody shoots war battles like Spielberg, but there's just something about the connecting execution of each episode which ultimately fails to knit the story together in a completely satisfying way. The ending on the farm was pitch-perfect, though, actually reminding me of Gone With the Wind, of all things. 3/5

Argo comes out on DVD/Blu in 2 weeks here

And we're still playing it at our local first-run theater. We have never dropped it since it debuted October 12, although it's on its last legs. If we don't drop it by February 15, chances are we will by the following week.

We had The Blind Side up through a week after its DVD and Blu-ray release in March. I suspect the same will go for Argo.

Agree with you on War Horse, Lee. Terrific score and cinematography, eh story.

Lincoln is similar in that regard

War Horse was indeed a mixed bag, but I didn't think Lincoln suffered from the same issues. The latter is a great film actually.

Super 8

I loved hearing all those old lucasfilm sound effects, I could trace them back to where the originated, (Mostly SW)

Movie was kinda meh, I just watched it for more context with the score, to help me enjoy it better, like with ST2009.

I've got to be honest though Jason, I think the first act of score was bad. It was poorly spotted and a bit too Beatrice Potter quaint for my liking, sounding like an American's rosy view of old rural England and overdoing it accordingly. The second half was much better though, and actually almost non existent. Very under radar it eventually came to feel, which I'm not sure if that approach completely worked either. Still, the theme is nice.

War Horse was indeed a mixed bag, but I didn't think Lincoln suffered from the same issues. The latter is a great film actually.

Yeah, I agree. Narratively, I think Lincoln is definitely one of Spielberg's strongest of the 21st century. It does have its problems, but to me, they're more nit-picky than anything else. Things like the integration of Lincoln's family or the ending, neither of which are particularly inspired, but are still more or less functional and not anything as detrimental to its overall success as some of the issues present in War Horse.

In scores I like a lot I tend to prefer ignoring the context.

I do too, but Giacchino is different, I seem to have to see the film to enjoy his work.

I've got to be honest though Jason, I think the first act of score was bad. It was poorly spotted and a bit too Beatrice Potter quaint for my liking, sounding like an American's rosy view of old rural England and overdoing it accordingly. The second half was much better though, and actually almost non existent. Very under radar it eventually came to feel, which I'm not sure if that approach completely worked either. Still, the theme is nice.

I agree with you actually - I said as much in my original review of the film wherever that is on the board. I think the music ITSELF is good (like when listening to it at home), but within the film, there was WAY too much music in Act 1, and the music used was over-the-top for the scenes it was used in

john-carter-h_img_308x0.jpg

JOHN CARTER - 2012

Disney's big public write-off has finally found its way in my quarters and lo behold, while not great by any means, it's not nearly as catastrophic as the perfect media storm in early 2013 would make you believe. While it suffers from an uncharismatic protagonist and some underwritten roles, visually and conceptually it's very good. The fact that Lucas, Cameron & Co. plundered and pillaged Burroughs's legacy makes accusations of plagiarism obsolete - it's virtually AVATAR meets STAR WARS, and would have needed a stronger script, which is surprising with the director of FINDING NEMO and WALL-E at the helm, but presumably computer-drawn movies can be finetuned much longer. If you imagine someone with the charisma of a young Connery for the Carter role, this could have been really good.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Why do people hate this again? It's certainly not the second coming of Young Frankenstein, but on the other hand it's nowhere as bad as History of the World, Part I, Spaceballs or Dracula: Dead and Loving It. It's a loving tribute and send-up of various Robin Hood films, even if some of the jokes don't work and/or lost its charm.

john-carter-h_img_308x0.jpg

JOHN CARTER - 2012

Disney's big public write-off has finally found its way in my quarters and lo behold, while not great by any means, it's not nearly as catastrophic as the perfect media storm in early 2013 would make you believe. While it suffers from an uncharismatic protagonist and some underwritten roles, visually and conceptually it's very good. The fact that Lucas, Cameron & Co. plundered and pillaged Burroughs's legacy makes accusations of plagiarism obsolete - it's virtually AVATAR meets STAR WARS, and would have needed a stronger script, which is surprising with the director of FINDING NEMO and WALL-E at the helm, but presumably computer-drawn movies can be finetuned much longer. If you imagine someone with the charisma of a young Connery for the Carter role, this could have been really good.

I watched it last night, it was interesting, but not great.

Why do people hate this again? It's certainly not the second coming of Young Frankenstein, but on the other hand it's nowhere as bad as History of the World, Part I, Spaceballs or Dracula: Dead and Loving It. It's a loving tribute and send-up of various Robin Hood films, even if some of the jokes don't work and/or lost its charm.

You had me at your first sentence, you lost me with the rest of the post. Mel Brooks is a comedic genius.

You had me at your first sentence, you lost me with the rest of the post. Mel Brooks is a comedic genius.

Brooks is hit or miss with me. I really enjoyed Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie and Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Everything else is a wash. Spaceballs in particular, the humor either falls flat on its face or goes over the audience's heads completely. Just painful.

I don't buy the negative backlash thing either. It seemed a bit too much, I thought.

Not great, not bad. Watchable and competent. I agree with you two.

Karol

It wasn't bad, it was just boring.

Last week I watched Dragonslayer (for the first time) on Netflix because I wanted to hear how its...um...unique score works in the film. I had never read the booklet that came with the score, which I haven't listened to in at least a couple years. I did enjoy the film. It took itself seriously and got some good performances from the actors, while the main character was funny and sincere and nowhere near as annoying as his role in Ghostbusters II. I instantly saw through Valerian's disguise -- before the swimming scene -- and was struck by her wonderful girl next door beauty. So it pained me to read that Caitlin Clarke actually died nine years ago. Cancer, no less. :( Where have I been...

One for the Money

Its tone is all over the place -- it doesn't know whether to be an action comedy or delve more into quasi-Criminal Minds territory. The 2% rating it got on Rotten Tomatoes bewilders me... it's a by-the-numbers date movie and fairly innocuous. Certainly not one of the worst films of last year, nor is it as terrible as 2010's similarly-themed The Bounty Hunter. Heigl has some definite screen presence, and she's easy to watch... but not a great role for her.

And she needs to be smarter and more daring about the roles she picks. Maybe she should ditch her mom/manager, eat some humble pie, and go back to "Grey's Anatomy".

Watched Judgement of Nuremberg, I hadn't seen it before and it was magnificent. Beautifully performed, astonishingly relevant and with craftsmanship sensibilities which have not aged a day. Along with 12 Angry Men, this is the benchmark for courtroom drama. And now I'm on a Spencer Tracy hunt - next up: Inherit the Wind.

Maybe then Lincoln will finally get its chance (which I keep delaying due to these other movies). I've realised that having developed a ruthlessly economical approach to my watching habits means I almost always come away extremely satisfied. An unexpected and agreeable byproduct of not having any other choice in the matter.

I watched Raiders on BD the other day, and a couple observations:

1) I found Marion a lot more annoying than I remember. For all her image as the "tough girl" of the Indy movies, she really does a lot of whining and complaining throughout. Things started out well enough in Nepal, then later with hitting that guy with the iron frying pan in Cairo...she seemed like she could really take care of herself. But then her character takes a most unfortunate turn into one degree of hysterics after another, particularly in the Well of the Souls scene. The shrewish "Whatever you're doing, do it faster!" is immediately followed by "Indy, don't leave me down here by myself!" and then the ultra-annoying "Innnndddyyy the torch is going out!!!" Then all the screaming with the mummies. Then more screaming. Come to think of it, Jones would have been better off saying "Marion, open your eyes and look!". Or at the very least leaving her with Captain Katanga.

Willie Scott was whiny of course, but the character was designed that way and she wasn't supposed to be tough, so I don't mind it so much on her, it's just who she is.

I actually think Dr. Schneider is least annoying of the Jones women. Too bad she was a Nazi.

2) It occurs to me that things wouldn't have turned out that much different if Indy had just decided to stay home. If Jones does nothing and stays in his classroom, the Nazis probably never find the Ark...they mostly find it because of his actions. And even if they did eventually start digging in the right place and find it w/Marion's medallion (assuming they even find Marion, Jones leads them there), so what? Without Jones the worst thing that happens is the Nazis find the Ark, open it and all get blown to pieces by the Wrath of God...only maybe this time they don't do it until they get to Germany and Hitler is around. In that case, pack your bags boys, war's over.

So yeah, as great as Raiders is, I think one flaw in it may be that the protagonist really doesn't have much of an impact on the way things ultimately unfold, and may have even made things worse.

Watched Judgement of Nuremberg, I hadn't seen it before and it was magnificent. Beautifully performed, astonishingly relevant and with craftsmanship sensibilities which have not aged a day. Along with 12 Angry Men, this is the benchmark for courtroom drama.

I've only seen it once, but I was totally fascinated by it. Apparently there was only a subpar DVD release for it. Hoping tor a Blu someday.

2) It occurs to me that things wouldn't have turned out that much different if Indy had just decided to stay home. If Jones does nothing and stays in his classroom, the Nazis probably never find the Ark...they mostly find it because of his actions. And even if they did eventually start digging in the right place and find it w/Marion's medallion (assuming they even find Marion, Jones leads them there), so what? Without Jones the worst thing that happens is the Nazis find the Ark, open it and all get blown to pieces by the Wrath of God...only maybe this time they don't do it until they get to Germany and Hitler is around. In that case, pack your bags boys, war's over.

So yeah, as great as Raiders is, I think one flaw in it may be that the protagonist really doesn't have much of an impact on the way things ultimately unfold, and may have even made things worse.

?