What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The thing about this movie which stands out like a sore thumb to me now is its tone. It's too fucking heavy going, it takes itself far too seriously. For example: why do we have all those extended scenes of Bilbo making his mind up about whether to go or not at the beginning in Bag End. All that tiresome soul searching he goes through, how much screen time does that single dilemma take up? Has anyone timed it? It feels like fucking AGES.

Who cares?! Just get the bloody adventure moving, Jackson! There's just shot after shot, scene after scene (feels like) of lingering BILBO PONDERS HIS DECISION tedium and it's just the first scene of MANY which drag the story down, grind the pace to a complete halt. I honestly think this is the worst edited movie I've ever seen.

The Hobbit should have been a brisk, rapidly paced adventure along the lines of Tintin (in terms of snappiness), the dwarves and the wizard should have grabbed Bilbo by his scruff and frog marched him down the road toward his date with a dragon and his deeper destiny, but instead Peter Jackson deemed it better to have him lounge around his hole for fifteen minutes looking sort of vaguely concerned (read: whiny), as if we're supposed to be utterly riveted to our seats by the awesome drama of it. The story is retiring before it has even begun. Forget the artistic licence embellishments people have issue with - none of that really matters when the tone is already so badly wrong.

Well, I agree that it takes too long (40 minutes) before the journey actually begins. I don't believe is SHOULD have been a "just" lighthearted adventure though. I know the book is, to a large extent. This film is certainly heavier.

We were never gonna get a movie that stylistically ignored LOTR, that trilogy was just too successful for that. Even Del Toro would have to had to deal with that.

The few times that the movie does go light hearted work extremely well though, the troll scene is funny as hell, and even keeping Goblin Town light works.

Well, the movie is bound to be shown again right before the second one is released.

I think if there is one overarching problem with the film, it is that after seeing it, it is precisely how I figured it would be.

I predicted in what area's it would be strong, I predicted many of the weak spots...

The movie doesn't have any surprises.

Well, I agree that it takes too long (40 minutes) before the journey actually begins. I don't believe is SHOULD have been a "just" lighthearted adventure though. I know the book is, to a large extent. This film is certainly heavier.

And yet Bilbo throughout the book ponders and regrets his decision to go on the adventure. It's appropriate to show that throughout the movie. That's not the problem, through editing is mostly a mess. And I fear that with the premature bro bonding between Thorin and Bilbo (which I still assume is a result of the last minute split into three parts), Bilbo's regrets may actually get too toned down in the remaining films.

I am sure in film 2, Bilbo and Thorin will grow even closer, and when the eventual "betrayal" comes, it will feel more personal and deep. Bilbo's regret will also heavily include guilt about double-crossing the Dwarrow.

Here's the thing. The Hobbit has some brilliant moments like the troll scene, Goblintown and Gollum's scene. The movie should have been made up of just that solid adventure material! But what drags it down is the pointless Tolkien trivia and fan fiction. The whole Azog history shows up with almost no purpose and seems to bring the entire concept of "adventure" to a grinding halt.

What's ultimately the big flaw is Jackson couldn't find a balance to staying true to LotR and embarking on this new adventure. It was far too reliant on the nostalgia factor. I found the little references (like the ceiling darkening with Gandalf's anger) often to be really annoying. Most of it being pointless drivel.

I am sure in film 2, Bilbo and Thorin will grow even closer, and when the eventual "betrayal" comes, it will feel more personal and deep. Bilbo's regret will also heavily include guilt about double-crossing the Dwarrow.

With more content available for the other parts, my hopes is that he can make this much more emotionally potent films.

My guess is that Bilbo will become part of the group far more in the nest film then he was in the book, and hopefully interact more with the Dwarrow.. I suspect Bilbo will have to make a moral choice between them and the Elves and Men

I noticed something. During the White Council Saruman uses the term "human". I believe this is the first time that term has been used in the movies. I don't think it appears in the main body of Tolkien's books at all...

The Fellowship of the Ring

Last night, my cousins were over. I learnt that they've never watched LotR and didn't know the first thing about it, but they wanted to watch it. So we agreed to play FotR.

Now the last time I watched LotR was back in November (in preparation of the Hobbit). Unfortunately, the Hobbit still left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth when thinking of Middle-Earth so I was afraid how I'd react to this. I was delightfully surprised. It holds up so damn well. What a great film! What's key to the success of FotR is it's emotional resonance. Gandalf's heartwarming advice is always touching. And when Gandalf fell at Khazad-dum, my cousins were actually moved (they had no clue Gandalf would come back), and the ending just has such an emotional punch, leaving my cousins hungering for more. They were definitely hooked.

It me realize again, despite The Hobbit's faults, and the faults of the original trilogy, they are truly magnificent films. I wish Jackson can bring back that emotional spark to the other Hobbit films to draw us in as he did in LotR.

. Gandalf's heartwarming advice is always touching. And when Gandalf fell at Khazad-dum, my cousins were actually moved (they had no clue Gandalf would come back), and the ending just has such an emotional punch, leaving my cousins hungering for more. They were definitely hooked.

I watched FOTR and TTT with my sister a few months ago, She had never seen them.

She got really pissed of that they killed of Gandalf, something she disagreed with! And I had to actually tell her that Gandalf might come back before she even considered watching TTT.

When i saw FOTR in 2001 I knew nothing about LOTR. But that moment when Gandalf fell made a huge impact for me, like the bottom was just kicked out from under the entire film. That scene after of the Fellowship running from Moria, in the bright light...then weeping for Gandalf!

. Gandalf's heartwarming advice is always touching. And when Gandalf fell at Khazad-dum, my cousins were actually moved (they had no clue Gandalf would come back), and the ending just has such an emotional punch, leaving my cousins hungering for more. They were definitely hooked.

I watched FOTR and TTT with my sister a few months ago, She had never seen them.

She got really pissed of that they killed of Gandalf, something she disagreed with! And I had to actually tell her that Gandalf might come back before she even considered watching TTT.

Yes! My cousin was like "wtf!". She was angry at me! She was almost on the verge of refusing to watch the rest of the film. I didn't want to tell her that he comes back though because I thought it'd make the experience all the more powerful when she gets to the next film. But I was really happy that even now, these films can move people so much.

When i saw FOTR in 2001 I knew nothing about LOTR. But that moment when Gandalf fell made a huge impact for me, like the bottom was just kicked out from under the entire film. That scene after of the Fellowship running from Moria, in the bright light...then weeping for Gandalf!

A big part to do with it is also Howard Shore's music. It really enhances the emotions of the film. Especially for that killer finale with Sam and Frodo. It was all just incredibly moving.

The thing about this movie which stands out like a sore thumb to me now is its tone. It's too fucking heavy going, it takes itself far too seriously. For example: why do we have all those extended scenes of Bilbo making his mind up about whether to go or not at the beginning in Bag End. All that tiresome soul searching he goes through, how much screen time does that single dilemma take up? Has anyone timed it? It feels like fucking AGES.

Who cares?! Just get the bloody adventure moving, Jackson! There's just shot after shot, scene after scene (feels like) of lingering BILBO PONDERS HIS DECISION tedium and it's just the first scene of MANY which drag the story down, grind the pace to a complete halt. I honestly think this is the worst edited movie I've ever seen.

The Hobbit should have been a brisk, rapidly paced adventure along the lines of Tintin (in terms of snappiness), the dwarves and the wizard should have grabbed Bilbo by his scruff and frog marched him down the road toward his date with a dragon and his deeper destiny, but instead Peter Jackson deemed it better to have him lounge around his hole for fifteen minutes looking sort of vaguely concerned (read: whiny), as if we're supposed to be utterly riveted to our seats by the awesome drama of it. The story is retiring before it has even begun. Forget the artistic licence embellishments people have issue with - none of that really matters when the tone is already so badly wrong.

I, on the contrary, like that he decides by himself to go on a potentially deadly adventure. That part of the film just flew by, although I could do without the flying dishes and other stuff.

Then the film started feeling overly artificial.

I saw Ghostbusters. Tonight I might see Kon-Tiki or The Master or The Killing or The Man Who Would Be King or who knows.

A big part to do with it is also Howard Shore's music. It really enhances the emotions of the film. Especially for that killer finale with Sam and Frodo. It was all just incredibly moving.

Also what helped was the way it was shot. going from the dark of Moria to those sudden bright scenes outside the mountains had a real visual impact.

The Breaking Of The Fellowship is the single best cue of the 2000's.

And of course, no one gives a shit when Boromir dies!

A deity dies, and everyone is pissed, but when a mortal man dies, they're all like: "So, what?".

That's part of why I hate people.

I always found the part with Boromir to be more poignant. Gandalf is... well, he's Gandalf.

The parts I always remember from when I saw the film (after reading the book) was the whole opening section of the film and the part in the Anduin and Amon Hen.

One thing I like about the hobbit, is that it puts a face (and a perhaps a personality?), to that name inscribed on the stone in Moria.

There is nothing wrong with the things the Hobbit shows. It's the way how they are shown.

I have no problem with the scenes in Bag Ende after Gandalf met Bilbo.

But I think the scenes with Bilbo and Frodo should be cut, it simply has too little to do with the film. Exploring Bilbo's character more is a good thing, though, I already wished for more of that in FotR.

What bugs me the most about the film is that they try their damnest to evoke LotR, and in the one scene that copying LotR would be highly welcome, Bilbo finds the Ring in a manner completely different from FotR.

I would point out that Bilbo found the ring differently orignally, atleats it looks like it from the first trailer,

Also what helped was the way it was shot. going from the dark of Moria to those sudden bright scenes outside the mountains had a real visual impact.

The Breaking Of The Fellowship is the single best cue of the 2000's.

Not IMHO, that would be Hands of Fate Pt 1 and 2.

Finished King Kong 2005 this afternoon, at 11:30 last night I was falling out and had to stop at the central park sequence, the most magical sequence of any films of the 21st century

Hands of Fate? What's that from?

Oh, the shot with bilbo holding sting with the ring in the foreground was for Mirkwood?

Probably footage of him challenging the spiders without the "Ring effects".

To get back on The Avengers ....

I finally saw it last night, and found it actually pretty damn good. Well, pretty damn entertaining at least, not sure if that's the same as "good".

The humor was great! The first meeting of Thor and Stark in the woods is hilarious.

Not knowing the Avengers comics very well, I also didn't have to worry about deviations from plotlines and such. What I found odd though is that the first time Banner hulks up, he's an incontrollable monster, and when he gets back, he's quite reasonable (for a Hulk).

And of course Scarlett Johansson is nice eye candy ;)

I'm not sure thought what to think of Jackson as Nick Fury, though.

The score was pretty dissapointing I thought.

The thing about this movie which stands out like a sore thumb to me now is its tone. It's too fucking heavy going, it takes itself far too seriously. For example: why do we have all those extended scenes of Bilbo making his mind up

Wait, I just read this.

You think the movie takes itself too serious? No way. The only heavier stuff is going on with the backstory of Thorin, Bilbo's homesickness and the few Necromancer scenes, and I would say that is not wholly inaproppriate now, is it? Practically the entire Bag End sequence, the troll scene, Goblintown, Riddles In The Dark, these are all light adventure sequences.

To get back on The Avengers ....

I finally saw it last night, and found it actually pretty damn good. Well, pretty damn entertaining at least, not sure if that's the same as "good".

The humor was great! The first meeting of Thor and Stark in the woods is hilarious.

Not knowing the Avengers comics very well, I also didn't have to worry about deviations from plotlines and such. What I found odd though is that the first time Banner hulks up, he's an incontrollable monster, and when he gets back, he's quite reasonable (for a Hulk).

And of course Scarlett Johansson is nice eye candy ;)

I'm not sure thought what to think of Jackson as Nick Fury, though.

The score was pretty dissapointing I thought.

The thing about this movie which stands out like a sore thumb to me now is its tone. It's too fucking heavy going, it takes itself far too seriously. For example: why do we have all those extended scenes of Bilbo making his mind up

Wait, I just read this.

You think the movie takes itself too serious? No way. The only heavier stuff is going on with the backstory of Thorin, Bilbo's homesickness and the few Necromancer scenes, and I would say that is not wholly inaproppriate now, is it? Practically the entire Bag End sequence, the troll scene, Goblintown, Riddles In The Dark, these are all light adventure sequences.

What I mean gkgyver is that I think much of the story is quite turgidly told. Peter Jackson is heavy handed where the drama is concerned, he makes it melodramatic and stodgy when it should feel airy and fun. Goblin town was fun; Thorin's endless berating of Bilbo was dull and forced, it felt melodramatic, it was obviously laying the ground work for their future respect of one another, it was not subtle. It was like George Clooney and Michelle Pfeiffer hating each other's guts at the start of the romcom before falling in love in the end.

I saw Olympus Has Fallen, basically a mix between Die Hard and generic Americana movies. There was a recurring trumpet solo that was very clearly ripped from JW's war theme (War Horse, Lincoln, etc).

Had time to kill while out of town and saw Olympus Has Fallen. There were really no other options. It was fun. I like dumb action movies sometimes and this one did fine for that. It was also more violent than I expected. If some NK communists somehow managed to attack the White House, I'd want the response to me merciless. :D

One thing that was odd was that exterior shots of the White House and White House grounds seemed strangely claustrophobic and "small."

Overall, a harmless evening of mindless action.

killer-joe-movie-poster_zpsf1f02193.jpg

The way the characters and dialog are written reminded me of a stage play and that's exactly what Killer Joe is: An adaption of a stage play. Yes, there's no denying that Joe is a shocking character and that Matthew McConaughey gives an amazing performance but that doesn't mean Killer Joe is a great film. A somewhat empty experience. 7/10

Alex

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

This does not look like it was shot in the late 30s at all - quite amazing.

I wasn't expecting the tone to be so playful; the sword fights seemingly more showy than intending to kill the opponent (as in the style of the BBC's recent series). A very enjoyable romp though, and put the first Korngold cue in my collection (the first part of The Tournament caught my ear).

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

If one is looking for the majesty and awe that existed in the first film, then look further.

If one is looking for a tight, well-honed plot, then look further.

If one is looking for characters that are interesting, and act sensibly....then look further.

It is inevitable that Jurassic park was going to have a sequel. They had four years to come up with something, and what they come up with....is sloppy at best.

The plot is virtually non-existent, and is there only to get humans to the island so they could be preyed upon and make the foolish decision to bring a T-Rex to the main land. Actually, structurally the film is all over the place, going from one scene that, dramatically has no real pay-off to another scene that plot-wise has no real pay-off.

While the first films certainly was not a character study, there were a couple of characters that were colourful and interesting enough that you cared for them a bit during the duration of their screen time.

Jeff Goldblum returns as Ian Malcolm, but the irreverent cool dude has now become a nay-sayer, constantly uttering prophecies of Doom. The most interesting thing is that not a single character listens to him throughout the entire film.

The rest of the film consists of characters with little background or colour, who's job it is to be eaten, or to just simply drop out of the film at the last act (Vince Vaughns character)

The only actor who does make (a very good) impression is Pete Postlethwaite. From his opening monologue during a dino-hunt until his final scene were he exits the film because his character is no longer needed for the bare-bones plot he holds his own. And when he says "I have spend too much time in the company of Death" you believe him. Like the rest of the cast his characters characterisation is minimal at best, but he somehow rises above it.

Yet this film is really entertaining from one perspective. Steven Spielberg is a true master when it comes to setting up scenes of suspense and action. This film is little more then a series of action vignettes, but that action has been superbly staged and executed. From the truck falling down a cliff, to Raptors attacking the party, to a T-Rex in San Diego, Spielberg shows creativity, inventiveness and his dark sense of humour. As a whole the film doesn't hold water. On a scene by scene basis it's incredibly well done. You do feel he must have had a blast thinking up some of these scenes.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park is the closest Spielberg has come to doing "just" an action film. In an alternate universe I would love to have seen him tackle a Die Hard or similar film.

The camera work is top notch, the effects still hold up incredibly well and John Williams' score is both ferocious and brooding.

It's just a mindless roller-coaster ride, but it's one directed by Steven Spielberg.

**1/2 out of ****

Watchmen. The 215-minute version.

Karol

I can imagine hell would be that version.

Jurassic Park 3

While the lost world largely skipped the awe and the "gee-wizz" aspects of Jurassic Park in favour of technically brilliant action spectacle, the third film has a lighter, funnier tone.

Joe Johnston fills the film with an endearing "awe-shucks" quality that makes you forgive some of the films flaws. (like T-Rex getting killed by some weird looking dino that doesn't have nearly the presence.

The first 2 films were based on shaky science, but treated it like it was serious, this one not only has Raptors talking to each other, it has Grant talking to Raptors.

Sam Neill returns this time as the reluctant hero and does a far better job then Goldblum did. His Alan Grant has a sardonic charisma, and thankfully doesn't preach to much.

William H. Macy and Thea Leoni are infectious and fun as the parents of a lost boy, determined to do whatever they can to get him back, but lacking any skills to do so.

Joe Johnston might not have the virtuoso touch when it comes to action that Spielberg has, but he does just fine, and provides some genuine interesting warm moments and characters for the scenes without dino's. The movie has a kinda goofy "Swiss Family Robinson" vibe.

The ending is quite abrupt though.

*** out of ****