What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Comedy movies are never as funny when watched alone.

I watched it with Marcy. I was laughing throughout, she didn't care for it.

That's unfortunate. Is she the humourless sort? I know some people absolutely are.

That's unfortunate. Is she the humourless sort? I know some people absolutely are.

No she loves comedies. These 2 just weren't her cup of tea

Comedy movies are never as funny when watched alone.

Bullshit!

I agree with Quint, comedy and horror films work fine alone but with an audience rise to another level.

I don't feel like seeing anythin these days.

May as well just end it.

nudo-del-ahorcado.jpg

cowards way out. Watch Mash instead.

Our film reviewer from national TV says he doesn't understand the American hostility towards The Great Gatsby because it's a beautiful emotional film. I'm becoming more and more intrigued even though I didn't like Moulin Rouge or Romeo + Juliet. Did you like the other movies of Luhrmann, Koray?

Alex

I didn't hate his other films but never really loved them either. At least with Romeo + Juliet he made it all consistent within a single time period. Mixing rap and contemporary pop with the roaring 20s just doesn't work, particularly if you still want to use some jazz music like he did. The writing and acting are what kill it the most. I feel like the film presumes you've read the book, but even then it still fails miserably because it includes on screen text and such when Maguire is doing straight quotes.

My wife didn't find Blazing Saddles funny. She didn't like Dr Strangelove.

And she actually hit me when Monty Python and the Holy Grail ended because she didn't believe when I told her it was over. The intermission scene threw her for a loop.

Following - It's been in my collection for a few months, and I just now got to watching it. For Christopher Nolan's first feature film, it's a well-assured, enjoyable and complex one. The editing is a bit haphazard in places, but for a film made on a tiny budget ($6K), it feels much more expensive than what it is. And it's remarkably paced... an amazingly brief 70 minutes. But his stylistic choices are apparent even this early... the meticulously shot scenes, main characters with slick outfits (one who shares the same name as Inception's lead), the non-linear narrative, and even David Julyan's Zimmer-style score.

I would love to see Nolan return to his roots one day, and do another film like this.

I don't feel like seeing anythin these days.

May as well just end it.

nudo-del-ahorcado.jpg

cowards way out. Watch Mash instead.

It's M*A*S*H.

I saw The Great Gatsby on Sunday. It's one of the worst movies I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through at the theater.

This movie is 2 hours and 20 minutes long. It was painful. I tried to look at it separately from the book and the narrative made even less sense. Such a shame since the cast is spot on and under a proper director with a proper script they could have done wonders. My initial suspicion from the trailer ended up being correct: This is Gatsby turned into Moulin Rogue 3D.

Everyone except Tobey Maguire. He just couldn't embody Nick, he was either overacting or way too earnest. His reading of the final monologue was so overdone, I had to keep myself from laughing in the theater. Baz should've hired an unknown to play Nick Carroway, it was obvious Baz was letting Leonardo DiCaprio bringing his friend Maguire into the fold.

I didn't mind the music selection, except those rap songs. Baz needs some sense knocked into him.

His facial expressions were hilarious. Especially when he's yelling at the reporters to "GO AWAY!" at the end. Overacting at its worst.

Star Trek Into Darkness

I will post detailed thoughts in the spoilers-allowed thread whenin I have time to organize them. For now I will say this (everything below is completely spoiler-free)

1. I was reminded when I went of why I hate going to the movie theater sometimes. Directly behind me was a couple with a small child (probably 6-8) and she was yapping away during the trailers ("it means Hope on his planet?", "I think those are the bad guys", etc). She seemed to quiet down when the actual movie started, but one of the couple had LOUD, CRINKLY CANDY or something that they decided to open up right as the movie was getting underway, Then the kid started yapping again ("why is the ship underwater?") and I had to get up, walk out the back of the theater, come back in on the other side, and pick a different seat. Sheesh!

2. I think most people who liked the first will like this one, it's about the same movie. It's not radically different from any other JJ Abrams movie.

3. Giacchino's score for this movie is AWESOME, and the 45 minute OST CD doesn't do it justice

4. For some reason, Chris Hemsworth and Jennifer Morrison are listed in the end credits as playing Kirk's parents, but they didn't appear in the film that I saw, unless it was when I was changing seats. Weird.

4. For some reason, Chris Hemsworth and Jennifer Morrison are listed in the end credits as playing Kirk's parents, but they didn't appear in the film that I saw, unless it was when I was changing seats. Weird.

Deleted scene?

3. Giacchino's score for this movie is AWESOME, and the 45 minute OST CD doesn't do it justice

I found that there wasn't a lot missing from the album. The main highlights are there. There were some nice moments that didn't appear (like some statements of Spock's theme or that London Calling melody), but nothing that really changed my opinion of the score. I think the OST is a solid representation of the score.

Coming from someone who hasn't seen ST yet. Do you think perhaps because we aren't seeing these characters weekly in a tv show and Frakes isn't in the inner circle on the creation of the movie, Abrams is missing the "ST" connection we were talking about earlier?

No.

Into Darkness is a fun and entertaining film and improves on the first film. I think it delves more into the characters and storyline.

I noticed that too. They weren't in the film at all, not even as archive footage. It's very possible the people assembling the end credit crawl simply reused most of the cast listing, but forgot to remove Hemsworth and Morrison's names.

As for the parents with that little brat, you could've asked them if they could ask their kid to stop talking. That would probably work.

There must have been a deleted scene filmed with them in it, though I can't picture where it would have gone.

It could have been anything from

a picture in Kirk's bedroom at the begining or perhaps the moment he awakens in the hospital, I heard dialogue from the first film in his thoughts as he awoke.

The quality of the visuals have been brought up by everybody else so I thought I mention a different but equally important aspect of the movie.

Last night I watched Tracie's Story, part of the Accused series of short films produced by the BBC. Sean Bean, who was BAFTA nominated, plays a transvestite who is looking to meet someone in Manchester, dressed as a woman drinking alone in bars, ignoring the heckles and drunken thugs who shout "nonce" and "freak" at him. When he does eventually get picked up by a sympathetic fella, the story develops and the plot unfolds. This is a brilliant tragedy piece.

Forget what you know about Sean Bean: this is an astonishing performance, I think the best of his career. Bean's portrayal of a vulnerable, cynical, well read and articulate cross-dressing gay man is simply stunning in its many nuances and poignant depth. After the swift sixty minute runtime I was left very satisfied and surprised. The actor known mostly for his villainy and archetypal heroism has rocketed up my estimations after seeing this one-off tv special, and I can't help but feel it's a criminal shame his much bigger international fan base will likely never get to see it. Seek it out.

N8M8utm.jpg

Mark O, that's it! Voices in the hospital scene. Thanks!

I don't remember hearing any of Hemsworth's dialogue from the '09 film, but maybe I missed it. That would explain why they're credited in the film.

Ironman 2

This film looks like it went into production with 3 different scripts and at some point they were just edited into one film. It's very aimless, going this way and that. With a whole lot of characters with vague, often hardly explained motivations.

The plot, such as it is is about Mickey Rourke wanting to extract revenge of Tony Stark for some grievance his father inflicted about Rourke's father. Also a rival arms dealer wants to develop Ironman like technology and the US military, personified by Straks best friends wants access to Starks tech. Leading to a preposterous scene where Don Cheadle basically enters Starks house and takes a suit, and they go mano a mano....

In between all that Samual L. Jackson turns up to set up a link to The Avengers...and then vanishes. Leaving Scarlett in a catsuit to wrap things up....

The biggest problem about the film is that it lacks impact. Supposedly dramatic things happen, and are barely acknowledged, Rhodes betrays his friend and steals a suit. This could have been a dramatic scene. But it falls totally flat (despite some mournful horn from Debney)

Tony and Pepper kissing on the rooftop could have been the culmination of their strive in this film, but it just seems tagged on like an afterthought. It actually resolves a scene set up in the first film more then it does for the second.

Make no mistake, this is a bad, messy film. But it's an entertaining bad film. If you turn your brain down a notch, try to not follow the plot and just enjoy the acting, the funny dialogue and the at times impressive effects.

Robert Downey Jr. is again in top form as Tony Stark.

Mickey Rourke has very little dialogue and spends most of the film mumbling in Russian and smiling enigmatically. And for some reason it kinda works.

Scarlett Johansen is sulty and hot in her black cat suit, Paltrow is in good form as Pepper.

Rockwell has fun as Justin Hammer and Don Cheadle is perfectly fine as Rhodes.

The direction by Favrau is workmanlike, as is the score by John Debney (if it has a main theme, it escaped me)

Watching it, it reminded me a bit of Rocky 4. A flashy, gaudy, at times obscene film which somehow manages to entertain.

A perfectly agreeable film for a rainy Monday (which is what today is)

Tony using a model map of an expo to create a new element in his basement is when I lost it. It was a very bad movie. Between Rourke and The Dude's Stain, Iron Man has faced lousy villains.