What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Peter Falk and young Fred Savage were the worse part of that film. Otherwise a fun, cheesy film with nice old fashioned swordmanship courtesy of Bob Anderson.

Watching the saber fight in Star Wars these days through does make Obi Wan just look like a shaky old guy prodding a glow stick about. It was tense back in '77, but now it's a bit rubbish!

Watching the saber fight in Star Wars these days through does make Obi Wan just look like a shaky old guy prodding a glow stick about. It was tense back in '77, but now it's a bit rubbish!

Yeah the years have treated those sword fights harshly as now we expect not only extreme choreography but all kinds of acrobatics as well.

What does Robin Hood Men In Tights have to do with Princess Bride? Two completely different movies (that happen to have the same lead actor)

The sword fight in The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movie swordfights.

The sword fight is great, and I enjoy the "frame" story of the grandfather reading the story to the boy. It gets the Spinal Tap hat into the movie, keeps the tension light and comedic, and the payoff is, of course, Falk's final line.

I like the melodies used in The Princess Bride and the guitar work, but I wish real strings had been used instead of synths.

Koray, it's okay, Princess Bride is one of "THOSE" movies you're supposed to think is great, not because it is, it is not, but because of group mentality. I saw it a couple of times back then, once at the movies, once or twice on tv, never wanted to own it, never care if I see it again.

plus it has the uber awful Mandy Pantankin or however you spell it, the little turn coat actor who quits ever tv series he joins.

Did you ever listen to the DVD commentary?

Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits only agreed to compose the score if Rob Reiner would include the hat he wore in This Is Spinal Tap somewhere in the film.

gal_spinal_tap_rob_reiner.jpg

55590.jpg

Rob Reiner desperately wanted Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits to help write and record the soundtrack for the movie. Knopfler agreed on the condition that Reiner somehow work a specific item into the movie: the hat he wore in This is Spinal Tap. My first thought was, "That would be so obvious in this movie." But no - Reiner managed to place the hat inconspicuously in the grandson's bedroom. Knopfler later saw this and said he had only been kidding. If you're looking for it, it can clearly be seen at about 1:09:26 hanging on the lamp in the background between Fred Savage and Peter Falk.

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/01/11/movie-trivia-the-princess-bride/

Yes, it looks like the hat moves between that shot and this one:

Hat_from_Spinal_Tap.png

And apparently, Quint would have been happy if the hat had not been used, because then a more traditional score would have been used.

No I never listened to the commentary, and never noticed the hat before. Cool.

I saw The Princess Bride for the first time not too long ago. Really didn't like it.

I saw it a few years back and absolutely didn't understand what all the fuzz was about. I don't think I *dis*liked it too much, but I didn't like it. It seemed "off" to me in some way. It's one of those films where I hardly remember anything and with all the praise and references I'm in half a mind to see it again, but I'm pretty sure I'd just be annoyed and disappointed all over again.

plus it has the uber awful Mandy Pantankin or however you spell it, the little turn coat actor who quits ever tv series he joins.

He'd be one reason for me to give it another try, actually. I didn't know him at all until Homeland, where he's (obvously) completely different, and absolutely brilliant.

I wouldn't call BTTF overrated, because it's just so *right*. And more than anything, it manages to at the same time clearly be an 80s film and yet not feel dated in any way whatsoever.

BTTF is one of the best scripts ever written. Plus it's well shot and hilariously performed and the score sounds really cool in the film. Brilliant.

On top of that they made two more without fucking it up and that ended perfectly. I don't know what more to ask for, really.

Every facet of filmmaking just works together so wonderfully well in that film. I talk so much about the script, acting, score, direction, cinematography, that sometimes I neglect to point out that it's also a very nicely balanced story about good characters: neither too sweet nor too harsh, but ultimately positive. Marty and Doc and George are the kind of characters that you can root for in a way that I don't see too often these days.

It's a sublime kids movies and I love it, but I personally wouldn't place it in the same calibre of movies I mentioned.

Neverending Story is especially noteworthy for being a proper kids fable - in that it's properly scary as well as adventurous and imaginative, like The Return to Oz. The best kids movies are the darkest ones imo.

Neverending Story is especially noteworthy for being a proper kids fable - in that it's properly scary as well as adventurous and imaginative, like The Return to Oz. The best kids movies are the darkest ones imo.

I find it disappointing in that it ends in the middle of the novel - when the story actually takes off and gets really dark/meaningful. As far as I remember, the sequels picked up bits and pieces of that, but without much success. The film never comes close to the novel's heart for this reason.

Alien

It certainly deserves its classic status. Ridley Scott really excelled at the atmosphere and suspense, especially the last 10-15 minutes. And definitely one of Sigourney Weaver's best performances -- fear, anger, determination, and not taking crap from anyone. While Ridley Scott's decisions to cut out and rearrange most of Goldsmith's score is questionable, it's chillingly effective in the film nonetheless.

No, the DC adds 321 seconds of footage but removes 368, resulting in a 47 second shorter cut overall. But since the changes are numerous and spread out throughout the whole film, each version of the film is fairly different from each other.

Then beyond all that, there is even more deleted scenes on the bonus disc.

But in terms of rewatchability, I prefer Blade Runner: Final Cut over Alien. Both are great movies, but the former just has that attention to detail, story themes and atmosphere that is intoxicating.

And after seeing Alien in full, I can understand the polarizing reactions to Prometheus. I think the die-hard Alien franchise fans were hoping for Ridley Scott to out-do himself, and set an impossibly high bar to pass. But that doesn't excuse Damon Lindeof's terrible rewrite.