What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Actually Inception seems to be far more universally loved then Avatar, The Hobbit, the Transformers films.

really, there is a lot of dislike for that movie on this board. It's just one of those idiotic films that some fools latches on and says wow, it blew me away, it blew you away too man....

EOS is a beautiful film to look at, it's a hard film to sit still and watch, it's sadly in need of serious editing. But it's got strong bones, and it's satisfying. John's music elevates its more than some of SS's other films.

Why in the world would anyone think that the masses consider Empire of the Sun Spielberg's "least good" movie? What bizarre fantasy world are you living in Alex?

Ssshhh!

it steals from the best of James Bond, and fails to be as entertaining as some of the worst of James Bond.

and fails to be as entertaining as some of the worst of James Bond.

I seriously doubt that. I was more bored with GoldeneEye than with Inception.

I'd much rather watch Moonraker than ever watch Inception again.

I'd rather listen to the Moonraker score than seeing Moonraker ever again.

Moonraker is a wonderful guilty pleasure, it really pretends to be nothing more than it is, while Inception is a lying pretentious film that is more off putting than anything. and yes the top falls over despite the soprano like thief of a finale scene.

Moonraker is an embarrassment, and it's as self-indulgent as any film I've seen.

it's a Bond film with the most self aware of all the Bond actors. Moore always had a good time. it's probably the film that most inspired the Austin Powers films, nod nod wink wink. hell as I pointed out even Inception stole from Bond.

Apologism? From you Joe?

Moonraker is a lazy, ill-conceived film with hardly any originality in that just shows whatever they think the audience wanted at that time (Science Fiction and Jaws).

It's a gorgeous looking film, with BRILLIANT effects by Derek Meddings, Moore is good as always and John Barry's score is ace.

But it's still shit!

Inception is a lying

In which way?

pretentious film

????

and yes the top falls over despite the soprano like thief of a finale scene.

The ending is a predictable wink to the audience. Of course the top falls over. I isn't meant to be anything else.

Apologism? From you Joe?

Moonraker is a lazy, ill-conceived film with hardly any originality in that just shows whatever they think the audience wanted at that time (Science Fiction and Jaws).

It's a gorgeous looking film, with BRILLIANT effects by Derek Meddings, Moore is good as always and John Barry's score is ace.

But it's still shit!

perhaps being foreign you do not understand the term guilty pleasure?

I like Congo, Aliens versus Predator, Jaws 3D, The Man With The Golden Gun, Showgirls, etc etc...I know what a guilty pleasure is.

And you are the foreigner!

congo, yes, avp yes, Jaw3 No, MwtGG is not a guilty pleasure, it's a good film all on it's own, Showgirls never seen it don't want to.

I've never heard the Jaws 3 or 4 scores before (or seen the movies), I should check them out sometime!

I've never heard the Jaws 3 or 4 scores before (or seen the movies), I should check them out sometime!

avoid them, seriously, take the opportunity to become a cutter or self mutilator, you'll be less harmed.

Flash Gordon isn't a guilty pleasure either, it's a gem.

sure it's not a diamond, emerald, ruby,

but it's a ??? topaz, it's still a gem.

even I've never seen it, I think.

I do remember seeing Pirahna though.

But it's still shit!

True.

Although I don't even like the score that much. I find it to be rather dull in the movie, in fact. Apart from the rendition of the James Bond theme during the opening skydiving scene, the only genuinely exciting bit of music was written by Elmer Bernstein 19 years earlier!

Jaws 4 is the better score of the 2 because it actually includes a few other themes / motifs from Williams' original score. Jaws 4's end credit cue weren't even used in the film.

I actually saw Jaws 4 in the theatre, me and the other 7 Lorraine Gary fans.

it's a bad bad film, but it's a curiosity to see a 2nd time just to see how Mario Van Peebles survived in the alternate ending.
Laughably the Great White attacked in the Bahamas, which is generally bull shark territory.

4 is even worse.

I can't believe anyone at Universal would sign off on such a piece of ........ (fill in the blank with whatever you want)

Whaa?

It's like when Comissioner Gordon kept telling everyone there is a masked guy named Bane in the sewers, but they never mention his name in front of him.

Karol

Ellen Brody has Flashbacks to a scene from Jaws she wasn't even in, man!!!!

Martin regaled her with stories of his bravery as he made mad passionate love to her,

Totally! Super fun!

Do you agree it's basically a remake of Independence Day?

absolutely not, though the ending is stolen directly from the film

Pirates Of The Caribean: The Curse Of Something Or Other....

The first and by far the most fun of these films (though I didnt see the 4th)

Johnny Depp rightly became a star because of his role as Captain Jack. (though that star is fastly dimming now). In this film he is off-kilter, energetic, hilarious as hell, and likeable.

Rush does a fantastic job hamming is even more up then Depp as Captain Barbossa. He thankfully doesnt even try to show any restraint and gives us a full "arrrr"... cliched pirate. He and Depp squaring off are the films highlights.

The rest of the cast do the wise thing and mostly play it staight.

This score was hated by traditional (pirate) score fans many years ago. Hearing it in the film years kater, it now almost sounds traditional itself.

It fails to acknowledge any of the comedy in the film, and every action cue is like the coming of the apocalypse of Doom from the Fires of Hell.

But the themes are quite infectious, and coupled with the film it's fun. (my fan cue is the one underscoring Jack's first scene)

The film runs out of steam a bit in the end. It's immortal characters fighting each other over and over again, but it's a fun ride still.

The Wolverine

Miles better than the truly awful X-Men Origins: Wolverine and in some respects better than X-Men: First Class. It's nice to see a sequel that's more character-driven and Hugh Jackman handles it with aplomb. The handling of the Jean/Logan unrequited love -- with her specter haunting his dreams and nightmares -- is nicely handled and Famke Janssen's cameo doesn't feel gimmicky. James Mangold has a nice handle on the story, and the movie is impeccably shot and edited. Rila Fukushima's Yukio is a total badass -- and if Fox ever does a direct follow-up, I'd love to see both her and Hugh together in another movie.

And Marco Beltrami's score is very impressive, with handling the Japanese instruments nicely. Best comic-book movie score this year, in my opinion.

The Wolverine

Miles better than the truly awful X-Men Origins: Wolverine and in some respects better than X-Men: First Class. It's nice to see a sequel that's more character-driven and Hugh Jackman handles it with aplomb. The handling of the Jean/Logan unrequited love -- with her specter haunting his dreams and nightmares -- is nicely handled and Famke Janssen's cameo doesn't feel gimmicky. James Mangold has a nice handle on the story, and the movie is impeccably shot and edited. Rila Fukushima's Yukio is a total badass -- and if Fox ever does a direct follow-up, I'd love to see both her and Hugh together in another movie.

And Marco Beltrami's score is very impressive, with handling the Japanese instruments nicely. Best comic-book movie score this year, in my opinion.

I'm very inclined to agree with you about this film, though having watched Wolverine Origin in anticipation of this film I do not agree it is awful, it is flawed but not awful. I was afraid Jean's appearance in the film would be cringe worthy but it was very well handled. Yes Yukio was terrific . Beltrami's score is sublime in spots.

Yes the scene after the credits role was absolutely the best end scene in all the Marvel Universe films. for 2 minutes I was young again.