What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I like Mangold generally and his reteaming with Beltrami has me excited. I bought the score but have yet to give it a listen. May have to go see this one.

Some people are slamming the film for having less action, but I thought Jackman's presence is more than enough to compensate. I did think the Viper character was pretty useless, just fodder for Logan and Yukio to battle at the end.

Super 8: A thoroughly enjoyable love letter to Spielberg films of the 1970's and 80's. Unabashed sentimentality, child protagonists, small town suburbia, mystery and sense of wonder, family issues and their resolution, the unknown and discovery, growing up. I thought the young protagonists very talented and the script hearkens back to the classics like Close Encounters and E.T. in over all arc and the writing for the kids is very believable and fun. Their whole ensemble works very well and the film would have been far less succesful without such chemistry. The cinematography was vibrant and trying to achieve the feel of the 1980's Spielberg films and shots and it worked except for the lens flares. Abrams really needs to stop using them as they are visually distracting and self-indulging.

Giacchino was obviously thrilled to focus his love for the time period and film making into a score that always knows when to speak and when to stay silent with great thematic development and arc to it and most of all it has beautiful emotional pull during the final part of the film that uplifts the entire experience.

Although I did enjoy Super 8 when i saw it, i really felt afterwards that it was a bit of a mix of everything without really focusing on anything.

A bit of E.T., a bit of Stand be Me, a bit of Jurassic park and there you go..

Every JWFan does!

Put me on the list as the exception. I tried (For the first time in my life) to watch the film a month ago but the child cast put me off from the first scene.

Every JWFan does!

Put me on the list as the exception. I tried (For the first time in my life) to watch the film a month ago but the child cast put me off from the first scene.

It's definitely a movie which needed to be appreciated as an adventurous kid with a wandering imagination.

School reports would look like this: ...is very bright but far to easily distracted.

Every JWFan does!

It's definitely a movie which needed to be appreciated as an adventurous kid with a wandering imagination.

School reports would look like this: ...is very bright but far to easily distracted.

Yeah I missed this film when I was at that age and now found it difficult to get into as an adult, especially when there is even no 80's nostalgia attached to it for me.

Nostalgia is its life blood ;)

To be honest I haven't watched it for years so it's effects may have diminished with me as well.

The secret of its appeal with kids though is this: it never talks down to them, it's always on their level. It misbehaves. Kids like that.

Super 8: The cinematography was vibrant and trying to achieve the feel of the 1980's Spielberg films and shots and it worked except for the lens flares.

Yeah, he should'nt have homaged that part of the 70's/80's spielberg films.

Last night we sat down to watch Wreck it Ralph and about halfway through turned it off. What a rubbish effort. 1/5

You're kidding! It's Disney's best film in years!

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done

Herzog and Lynch finally together!

my-son-my-son-what-have-ye-done_thumbnai

Liked the first half but started to fall asleep during the last 25 minutes of the film. 5/10

Alex

Wreck It Ralph was wonderfully fun!!

The Goonies is a favorite film of mine, but of course that is likely only because I watched it over and over again as a child. Everyone I know who also grew up watching it loves it; Everyone I know who never saw it until college or later didn't get the appeal at all.

So why no Goldsmith/Williams/Horner score? The film is so harebrained, it practically begs for an intrusive and colourful big adventure score with pirate stuff and all.

It genuinely is.

So why no Goldsmith/Williams/Horner score? The film is so harebrained, it practically begs for an intrusive and colourful big adventure score with pirate stuff and all.

The themes are legendary amongst fans.

Exclusively for kids. Being a bit of a Spielberg fan in those days, I went to see The Goonies in theaters and hated every minute of it.

At least E.T. offers something for both kids and adults, so to me that's the ultimate kids movie of the '80s.

Its the ultimate 80's kids adventure film.

Dave Grusin's score to The Goonies is perfect, I don't think Goldsmith/Williams/Horner would have done any better

I don't think as E.T. as just a kids movie. It has deeper layers that allow it to work brilliantly for adults as well.

Like Jason said, if you've seen The Goonies as a kid, chances are you will still love it today, but out of sentimental reasons.

An adult watching it will probably consider it rather noisy rubbish

E.T. is a family film. Goonies a kids only one.

So Steef's statement stands.

E.T. is a family film. Goonies a kids only one.

So Steef's statement stands.

But ... not ... for ... me.

Steef, if someone asks me what's the ultimate kids movie of the '80s, I 'll say ET. I think great kids movies can also be enjoyed by adults.

I don't know about all the critics here Lee. Didnt Ebert love it? Kael probably didnt, but she hated anything Amblin I believe.

Ebert did give it a thumbs up.

I think Goonies was a movie designed only with kids in mind.

E.T. was not (i think)

I mean they were both written by Spielberg, but they are very different in tone.

I don't know about all the critics here Lee. Didnt Ebert love it? Kael probably didnt, but she hated anything Amblin I believe.

Ebert did give it a thumbs up.

I enjoyed it when i saw it in my teens. I'm sure if I saw it now I'd enjoy it still, but not gush over it or even remember it much.

E.T. is a kids film, it's an adult's film, it's a scifi film, it's a drama, it's a comedy, it's even a melodrama. It's also one of the best film SS ever made.

Chris Columbus wrote Goonies Stefan, not SS.

Chris Columbus did write the Goonies screenplay, but it was based on a story idea by Steven Spielberg.

Alien! (theatrical edition)

(and Aliens probably tonight)

(from my newly purchased Blurays)

You will love Aliens better.

Of course I have seen the whole Quadrilogy.

it's not the first time I'm seeing these films.

it's the first time from the Blu-rays though..

Goones is Good enough for you it's good enough for me it's good enough, it's good enough for me, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Dave Grusin's score to The Goonies is perfect, I don't think Goldsmith/Williams/Horner would have done any better

I bought it and it didn't gave me any of the pleasures i usually get from scores for these movies. CASPER is a masterpiece compared to it and that's about the same level moviewise.

The problem with The Goonies score is that we went from not having a note of it released (apart from the end credits) to having the ENTIRE very long score released. if there had been a 40 minute album presentation of the score made at the time of the film's release, I think it was be much more easily accessible to non-lovers of the film than the complete Varese score release is. I love the score and even I want to cut it down a bit to a shorter presentation. Though I am, of course, happy they released the entire thing and wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Paul

Not bad, got some good laughs and the nods to things we hold dear here were well done, if a bit predictable at times.

Goones is Good enough for you it's good enough for me it's good enough, it's good enough for me, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Say what you want. Cindy was hot then and she is still very good looking today.

perhaps but to be blunt, you got the wrong parts.

I like The Goonies, both film and score.

Sometimes a film tells a fun story and its always nice to revisit your childhood moments. Being an adult is stressful enough, you should never lose the child in you, no matter what some may tell you.

I like The Goonies, both film and score.

Sometimes a film tells a fun story and its always nice to revisit your childhood moments. Being an adult is stressful enough, you should never lose the child in you, no matter what some may tell you.

Some here might never have had that Mark.