What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I know not everyone has a happy childhood and mine was far from happy at times, but you can still let the child inside of you have fun when you're an adult.

I lost a good 40 years Friday night after seeing the teaser at the end of Wolverine.

My inner child viewed it Stefan, he was quite pleased.

I hate missing a few days around here. So much good conversation missed. . . .

Anyway, here's a summary response:

- I enjoyed Avatar. Not as much as his other films, but it was still a decent enough ride for the eyes.

- The Matrix was, in fact, a sleeper hit. Studios could learn a thing or two if they had anything resembling hindsight; one of these days, some smart exec will recall the power of word-of-mouth, mystery, and curiosity, and they'll save themselves a cool $100 million in promotion and advertising and let their movie speak for itself--and it'll blow the rest of the big-budget failures out of the ocean.

- No apologies: I loved Inception, and I think Chris Nolan's a top-flight filmmaker. (Moonraker, though a guilty pleasure of my own--both the film and the score--can't touch it.)

- I've seen Empire of the Sun one time--just once--almost exactly twenty years ago. There are movies I watched last year that haven't lingered in my mind the way that one has. I still remember so many scenes, so many images. In a sense, it feels like a personal memory as much as a story . . . it was that powerful. That's not to say I consider it his best film or anything; but Spielberg's own heart resonated so strongly throughout it that it still resonates with me all these years later.

- Never saw Jaws 3, but Jaws 4 is an astonishingly bad film, an insult to everything the franchise once stood for.

- Are you kidding, Quint? Wreck It Ralph rocks!

- And finally . . . The Goonies is a perfect example of what I call a "window movie"--meaning that you have to experience it during that passing window of opportunity when it works best (in this case, being a kid during the 1980s) in order to make the connection. The result, either way, is very much like how Richard Gere described people's reaction to opera in Pretty Woman: if you catch it at the right time, you'll love it, and you'll always love it. If you don't, you may learn to appreciate it, but you'll never truly love it. It's still a movie that makes me smile. Dave Grusin absolutely nailed the approach with the descending four-note "mystery/discovery" theme. And Sloth's "Superman" moment was the first example of film music crossover I can remember, so there's that.

- Uni

Curious, since Sloth's Superman happened a few moments after borrowing Max Steiner's swashbuckling Adventures of Don Juan in the very same cue. That was the second time in the film it was used (over The Sea Hawk), and the music was also used in Zorro, the Gay Blade. But nobody would recognize that as easily as Superman.

Speed 2: Cruise Control

Easily the worst movie (and sequel) Sandra Bullock's done. It's just laughable and ridiculous. And the boneheaded move to recast Keanu Reeves with Jason Patric? C'mon.

Not a recast since he's playing a different character... but yea. Not a great film.

Amazing special effects though, and terrific powerhouse score.

Not a recast since he's playing a different character... but yea. Not a great film.

Amazing special effects though, and terrific powerhouse score.

Technically a recast, after Keanu wisely didn't return. I don't know how better it would've been if Keanu cashed in... probably not by much.

it's spiritually a recast, but technically it's absolutely not, since it's a completely different character.

Easily the worst movie (and sequel) Sandra Bullock's done. It's just laughable and ridiculous. And the boneheaded move to recast Keanu Reeves with Jason Patric? C'mon.

Forget Sandra Bullock, it's just a bad movie.

69545_large.jpg

Not that great as I would have imagined, but still it's a film from those ones that you feel you're watching cinema!

A theatrical romance, with great scenery and GREAT score!

This is what I'm after more in movies!

Lies, not reality or realism.. :)

Easily the worst movie (and sequel) Sandra Bullock's done. It's just laughable and ridiculous.

Have you seen Premonition?

Karol

Or Miss Congeniality 2?

Sandra Bullock is a horrible actress.

you're quite wrong.

but she's not got alot up top. Not talkin brains folks.

Or Miss Congeniality 2?

Sandra Bullock is a horrible actress.

you're quite wrong.

Care to site some films? I have yet to like her in any movies she's been in. Only thing I can tolerate is Speed.

I hear All About Steve is a hidden masterpiece.

If there's anything worse in this world then Sandra Bullock in a comedy, it would be Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds in a comedy.

Oh wait, it's not this film.

No matter.

My point still stands.

Karol

Pacific Rim (i'm usually late to these discussions because I never see these things right when they come out)

I thought it was a great popcorn flick, but that's essentially it. Maybe that's all it needed to be. del Toro can be hit or miss with characters. Here they were extremely cookie-cutter, but the central ones were lovable for the most part. Mimic was similar in that way, but del Toro was able to pull together some incredibly dark atmosphere to make up for it. Here he uses technology to propel the story. Again, not that this is a terrible thing, but I think this could have been so much more. As it stands, definitely watchable, but go in knowing you'll have gripes with the overall characters. That could all be interpreted as intentional since it's based in large part by Manga. The story is in that same spirit that takes a completely fantastical situation and treats it with absolute seriousness with characters that fill roles of clear archetypes.

You just need to accept that you're really just going in to experience the excitement of watching giant robots vs giant monsters.

If there's anything worse in this world then Sandra Bullock in a comedy, it would be Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds in a comedy.

Oh wait, it's not this film.

No matter.

My point still stands.

Karol

the Proposal was terrific.

Yea Pacific Rim was great fun, wasnt it? My only gripe was that all the big robot / monster battles were at night and in the rain.

With so many disappointing blockbusters that trip over themselves trying to be clever, Pacific Rim was mostly a straight story told pretty well. It was great fun, and in stark contrast to the Transformers films, the battle scenes have clear direction and goals, and you can follow what's going on. The Hong Kong battle was easily the highlight. It wasn't trying to bite off big themes that it wasn't willing to chew, unlike films like STID and MOS. It was just a good old time.

Damien: Omen II

Could've been worse, but could've been more. It's almost like the film needed to go ahead and just be 2 hours, or adjust the ratio of kills to business talk to Damien's discoveries. The film is largely at its best when it is dealing with the latter, but it seems that the producers felt the need to outdo the first film by making more kills. Unfortunately, this ends up with characters being introduced and then killed off very quickly after they discover something's awry. It gets formulaic and repetitive. (This is not to say they're uneffective, at least not entirely--the elevator scene particularly provided the intended shock.) The business dealings of the Thorn Company also seem to go nowhere. I don't know if they were meant to be setup for Damien's dealings in the sequel (will be watching The Final Conflict soon), but even so, there needs to be some degree of payoff in the film so it stands on its own, and as it is it just seems like an excuse to have a couple more deaths and give the sense that a particular character is up to no good.

Damien's revelations, on the other hand, provide the two strongest scenes, although they feel rushed, like we're getting the payoff for something that we missed a bit of the build up for. The human overseers for Damien also seem a bit underdeveloped; I didn't understand quite why we needed more than one, in addition to the supernatural protection he was getting (much less subtly than in the first film).

The film also suffers a bit from some clunky dialogue and exposition. On the other hand, Bill Butler's cinematography lends some nice atmosphere, and Goldsmith's score is largely excellent, delivering some great variations on the "Ave Satani" material. I did feel the electronic blats were kind of odd, though--and they start right at the beginning! The focus on these variations also reflects the film's focus on giving the audience more kills; as with the story, it would be interesting to see what Goldsmith might have delivered with a film that spent some more time on the human drama.

Not bad, but inferior to the first. It had the potential to outshine its predecessor by giving more focus to and development of its strong, unique facet: Damien's dilemma. With a longer runtime and/or less of the kills/business stuff, a more thorough and satisfying look into Damien's growing pains might be facilitated, and the material is certainly there for it. Nevertheless, there's enough to enjoy and appreciate about it for me to recommend it if you liked the first film.

Yeah, what I've seen lately She is even more terrible than Meryl Streep.

Just a though of these two ladies makes me sick, ready for a puke.

Yes very much!!!

Glorious!!

Over is the word. OVER ACTOR!!!!

I cannot even imagine a world in which I could take this seriously.

- Uni

I can't really remember now, it's ages ago. I just have a vague recollection of thinking bullshit! all the way through. Yeah I know it's a classic and all that but what can I say there's some people who think Blade Runner is a load of hogwash as well.

That's another title from my list of favorites. IMO, movies (or anything else for that matter) that stand out are usually just as much hated as they are loved.

Alex

Definitely. My top 5 are probably beloved the world over sorts of movies, but higher up the list there's the Space Odysseys and the Eyes Wide Shuts. A nice bit of variety.

It's slightly odd that you hate Straw Dogs though because it shares psychological themes with Jaws. Anyway, at the time, the film was banned in the UK. Maybe you hated because of how it portrays the West Coast country folk of England (which in my opinion could've been anywhere in the world but in this case it was England)

Alex

Pauline Kael called STRAW DOGS 'fascist' and Peckinpah later said she was not altogether wrong. The film is elusive, though, and can be read in different ways - either you want to see an inadequate man, of course a glass-wearing scientist, rising to the challenge of being a man by exercising extreme violence or you accept Peckinpah's bleak vision of humanity and human nature that inevitably sets a chain reaction in motion.

Emotionally, it is gripping and terrible (the rape scene) but i didn't like the sensations the movie gave - the same feeling nagged me while seeing CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

Very true, pubs. Some people think Straw Dogs is just another revenge movie (or protect your family at all costs), it's not.

@ Steef: Hmm, just like Deliverance. The English country folk were not as savage as them mountain folk of Deliverance but it's pretty close ;) .