What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Nolan doesn't do funny or sexy, to his detriment I say. I can't imagine Interstellar will be vastly different from his existing films.

And yet in Batman Begins, during the attack on the asylum, there is a tiny standout comedy moment which is genuinely hilarious and precisely my brand of humour. In fact it's ironically extremely reminiscent of Monty Python...

Perhaps Nolan is wasted on grimly serious thrillers ;)

There's some funny moments in the Batman movies - hell, has anyone EVER made ANY action movie without SOME modicum of comedy in it? But I can't see Nolan ever directing a flat out comedy film, can you?

I was going to cite some of those moments from the DK series too (my favorites are the banter between Bale and Caine, actually). But those are largely moments provided by the script and talented actors. I don't know that I'd ever put the script for a rom-com into Nolan's hands. But . . . is that necessarily a bad thing?

- Uni

There does seem to be a general bias against Joe on this MB.

Sanctioned by moderators (former and current)

Not really, I have not noticed other than Uni's one sided approach.

Not really, I have not noticed other than Uni one sided approach.

Hardly. I've agreed with you many times, and often supported what you have to say. But when I—or anyone else—disagree with you, it can be truly astonishing to watch the results.

Uni is old news, forget about him.

Thanks . . . old friend.

- Uni

thinking about Dispicable Me 2 (literally and figuratively, get it) it starts at 4:50 this afternoon.

Not really, I have not noticed other than Uni one sided approach.

Hardly. I've agreed with you many times, and often supported what you have to say. But when I—or anyone else—disagree with you, it can be truly astonishing to watch the results.

Uni is old news, forget about him.

Thanks . . . old friend.

- Uni

that's your opinion. perhaps it's as valid as your comments you made that I was trolling the Lotr/Hobbit threads.

See? And then you come out with zingers like this, and it's impossible not to forgive you! ;)

(Lest this be mistaken as sarcasm in the currently-charged air . . . I'm serious. That was funny. And admirably self-depricating.)

- Uni

Uni, however you feel, I do not feel there is anything you need to be forgiven for. I just wish your judgement is always not directed at me as if I'm the only one who ever speaks ill on this board. I do however live by the rule forgive but never forget. Of course application is everything.

back to the topic at hand, I don't know if we'll see a movie at the theatre tonight, but I'll be watching some old Universal 50's scifi/horror films late tonight, Monolith Monsters and Cult of the Cobra.

Or I could do a Mummy marathon. Black and white series, not the modern.

Interstellar is an interesting upcoming film, how will it be perceived. It's bound to be critiqued as if Spielberg HAD directed it. It's a shame that he's not because it was the score I really wanted JW to make.

X-Men 2

Good film, the middle section drags a bit, and has a "mutant coming out" scene that is too much like a cliché gay coming out scene from network TV movies of the week. (we understand the parallel Brian, don't drive it home)

But the action scenes are set up better then the previous film. The characters are consistently interesting and the final part is actually moving.

The final act, does steal from Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan in a huge way, not just the sacrifice. It actually repeats scenes from that film to the point of distraction (Ottman's closing chords hilariously steal from Horner's)

btw Ellen does the Oscars next year.

Who doesnt love Ellen?

I'm sure. Singer is a big Trekkie (he did a cameo in Nemesis)

But it has a Starfleet Captain talking about how things are gonna be OK, like TWOK, then it switches to a narration of the opening of X-Men narrated by Stewart in that film, but by the now dead Jeann Grey in this one, just like the famous "Space...The Final Frontier"monologue suddenly narrated by Spock in TWOK, then it closes on John Ottman cribbing Horners final closing notes for TWOK....

It's a bit too much LOL

Hmmm, I definitely didn't pick up on that when I saw the film before. I'll have to check it out, been meaning to watch the original trilogy again sometime between now and next summer. I have the blu ray box set and everything.

The first two X-Men films are great. The third was rubbish. Though I kinda want to see it again now since I have grown to like some of the actors in it in other things, as well as Powell's score.

Right, I still havne't seen the first Wolverine movie either, so I'll watch both of those after the trilogy, before DOFP opens

I believe The Wolverine is a direct sequel to it, so ill watch it before seeing the new film

The Wolverine is a sequel of sorts to The Last Stand a prequel to Days of Future Past (well, the mid-credit scene is). It actually works, strangely enough.

Karol

The order they were released is a perfectly fine order to watch all the X-Men/Wolverine movies in.

Continuity was fine up until Origins.

First Class contradicted X-Men 3, but not really the first 2.

the upcoming X-men film will have Xavier alive and Magneto with his powers again, so basically ignoring/retconning the 2 major changes from X-Men 3

Continuity was fine up until Origins.

First Class contradicted X-Men 3, but not really the first 2.

the upcoming X-men film will have Xavier alive and Magneto with his powers again, so basically ignoring/retconning the 2 major changes from X-Men 3

all that was explained in X-3 if you watched the WHOLE film including the stinger.

X-Men 2

Good film, the middle section drags a bit, and has a "mutant coming out" scene that is too much like a cliché gay coming out scene from network TV movies of the week. (we understand the parallel Brian, don't drive it home)

But the action scenes are set up better then the previous film. The characters are consistently interesting and the final part is actually moving.

The final act, does steal from Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan in a huge way, not just the sacrifice. It actually repeats scenes from that film to the point of distraction (Ottman's closing chords hilariously steal from Horner's)

Who doesnt love Ellen?

Anne Heche?

I know I'm going to take a mountain of trouble for this, but . . . I don't feel like I've seen a truly bad X-Men movie yet. The first two were clearly the best; I expected the third to tank because Singer had stepped away (and the early previews looked terrible), but I was surprised how much I liked it; and the Origins one, though weaker than the others, didn't get under my skin in any appreciable way—not like Transformers, or MOS this summer, or anything like that. Again, Hugh Jackman is interesting enough to watch that it didn't bother me the way it seems to have irked others.

Now, I haven't yet seen First Class. It's one of those I keep meaning to pick up but just haven't yet. Maybe I'll hate it, and make up for all my needless positivity for those last two installments. ;)

Who doesnt love Ellen?

Anne Heche?

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

- Uni

Jackman certainly gives his all on Origins. But the story is very much by the numbers and the direction unremarkable. First Class is a step up, but suffers from the same "connect the dots" syndrome that most prequels have.

I know I'm going to take a mountain of trouble for this, but . . . I don't feel like I've seen a truly bad X-Men movie yet. The first two were clearly the best; I expected the third to tank because Singer had stepped away (and the early previews looked terrible), but I was surprised how much I liked it; and the Origins one, though weaker than the others, didn't get under my skin in any appreciable way—not like Transformers, or MOS this summer, or anything like that. Again, Hugh Jackman is interesting enough to watch that it didn't bother me the way it seems to have irked others.

Now, I haven't yet seen First Class. It's one of those I keep meaning to pick up but just haven't yet. Maybe I'll hate it, and make up for all my needless positivity for those last two installments. ;)

Who doesnt love Ellen?

Anne Heche?

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

- Uni

I agree with you. I think Origins Wolverine is an Okay movie, nothing great, certainly nothing offensive to get the sheer hate from some. I loved First Class for this one reason, Kevin Bacon is a superior villian, he's totally hissable, and you can see he's having a blast doing so.

First Class was fun. I don't care about the continuity changes, like Cerebro. Back to the Future Part III had a similar retcon/goof that nobody remembers. It was cool to see a superhero movie mesh with history, beyond Origin: Wolverine's title crawl. I appreciate the filmmakers allowing young Xavier to have a full head of hair, instead of insulting us with balding him like Stuart Baird would've done. The cameos were worth the price of admission.

Origins was an enjoyable yarn. The hate was a bit misplaced in my opinion. I mean, what were people expecting? It's a movie about a badss with metal claws embedded in his fists.

Oh no sorry it's about a man struggling to come to terms with being a social outcast, or something.

without giving anything really away its about his immortality and mortality.

And, also, dealing with something he did in other film.

karol

which would haunt any man.

Back to the Future Part III had a similar retcon/goof that nobody remembers.

What's the goof in BTTF3?

Origins was an enjoyable yarn. The hate was a bit misplaced in my opinion. I mean, what were people expecting? It's a movie about a badss with metal claws embedded in his fists.

Oh no sorry it's about a man struggling to come to terms with being a social outcast, or something.

I also thought Liev Schreiber did a pretty good turn as his brother. They had a good dynamic going between the two of them.

What's the goof in BTTF3?

Yeah. I hate to say I don't remember it either, but. . . .

- Uni

I will fucking hunt down and kill anyone who spoils this film for me!

do you have special skills Liam?

I will fucking hunt down and kill anyone who spoils this film for me!

do you have special skills Liam?

Gud luck. . . .

- Uni