What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Interview With the Vampire

I never really saw this in full until now, but Neil Jordan does a commendable job bringing out the themes of existentialism present in Anne Rice's novel. Tom Cruise definitely runs away with this film, he nails the cruelty and arrogance of Lestat, while Brad Pitt's restrained performance as Louis goes too far and feels flimsy. And Kirsten Dunst had so much promise (most of it presented here), she was like the Dakota Fanning of the early 1990s. (She hasn't hit that peak often since then.)

And Elliot Goldenthal's score is fantastic.

Interview With the Vampire

I never really saw this in full until now, but Neil Jordan does a commendable job bringing out the themes of existentialism present in Anne Rice's novel. Tom Cruise definitely runs away with this film, he nails the cruelty and arrogance of Lestat, while Brad Pitt's restrained performance as Louis goes too far and feels flimsy. And Kirsten Dunst had so much promise (most of it presented here), she was like the Dakota Fanning of the early 1990s. (She hasn't hit that peak often since then.)

And Elliot Goldenthal's score is fantastic.

I had not seen it in years and I got the blu for 4.99.

we went to the matinee to see We Are the Millers. It throws a lot of jokes out, some hit some miss, but still a very funny, sometimes hilarious late summer film.

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

I know it's heresy to say this but I stare at the screen and receive absolutely nothing from it. Does anyone know what I'm saying? Am I really the only one here? I'm so Star Warsed out, it's not even funny anymore.

Alex

I'm a bit Iike that with the sequels, but Star Wars still enchants me. I love it's free spirit, its fearlessness. You can tell it wasn't carrying the weight of sequels and a behemoth franchise on its shoulders.

LotR on the other hand. Can't watch it. Need a decade long break.

Who knows, maybe I enjoy ROTJ better now. It's the one I've seen the least.

Why did we ever love Star Wars? And why does that not work anymore? Age (and disinterest in action or juvenile escapism AKA Spielbergitis)? Tired of Lucas? Too much is too much? Or are the films simply dated too hard? The last time I watched The Matrix, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Alex

You haven't seen The Matrix half as many times as you've seen Star Wars?

Watch Keanu Reeves spinning around in slo mo every year for twenty years and come back and tell us what you think of it.

You haven't seen The Matrix half as many times as you've seen Star Wars?

Watch Keanu Reeves spinning around in slo mo every year for twenty years and come back and tell us what you think of it.

They are similar stories. I just think The Matrix is a better film.

I enjoy Star Wars and The Matrix in very different ways. Deciding which is the better of the two I couldn't say. The Hero's Journey is prevalent in both, but that's where the similarities end. Their sensibilities and style are worlds apart.

Star Wars should have been a stand alone film.

Star Wars still works for me, even though its been well over 14 years since I've watched it. My memory of what it was before Lucas ruined the film still enforces my love for that movie.

Return Of The Jedi: I just don't get the people who love this film. It would be the same if someone said "I love Caravan Of Courage: An Ewok Adventure". Fortunately, the scenes with the emperor slightly make up for all the bad and silly things. Say what you want about Star Wars, McDiarmid was perfect for playing the emperor. I simply love it how he says: "Oh no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken, about a great many things." Can't imagine anyone doing that better!

500full_zps466d3023.jpg

Do The Right Thing: Very explicit stuff but the film does have a certain nice vibe to it. In fact, it feels like a musical without songs.

Do-the-Right-Thing_Samuel-L-Jackson-hat-

Alex

I just got into an argument today with a coworker about the Star Wars movies, and I couldn't take him seriously once he stated his platform of Jedi being his favorite. But he also accused me of preferring Empire because Clerks made it hip.

I just got into an argument today with a coworker about the Star Wars movies, and I couldn't take him seriously once he stated his platform of Jedi being his favorite. But he also accused me of preferring Empire because Clerks made it hip.

sounds like a igit.

He actually likes Jabba and Salacious Crumb, so I guess that's what does it. I didn't have the heart to continue the conversation to point out its retread of the first movie's basic plot, or how insulting the Ewoks are to a culture that builds Death Stars for kicks.

I have always though Empire was the next best thing to Star Wars, and since I have never seen Clerks, my thoughts of Empire are not squewed by Clerks.

He actually likes Jabba and Salacious Crumb, so I guess that's what does it. I didn't have the heart to continue the conversation to point out its retread of the first movie's basic plot, or how insulting the Ewoks are to a culture that builds Death Stars for kicks.

Even though the optical effects are pretty impressive for its time, the attack on the new Death Star fails to make any kind of emotional impact.

I just wondered if anybody actually rooted for Lando to die in the attack, as revenge for selling out Han to that bounty hunter. Was his change of heart and allegiance too little, too late?

Who cares for Lando? Some people think he's Apollo Creed!

BTW, I noticed that Leia looks very old in the scene where Luke explains he and she are brother and sister. It was creepy. She looked so young in Star Wars, which was only 6 years earlier.

By the time ROTJ occurred no one remembered that and everyone was chummy chummy.

Who cares for Lando?

BTW, I noticed that Leia looks very old in the scene where Luke explains he and she are brother and sister. It was creepy. She looked so young in Star Wars, which was only 6 years earlier.

How is she going to appear to you in the new film????

She was born to have that headphones hair (and that white gown)

I also noticed that Luke's hair and face look worse with each installment. I liked him best with his original (and natural) hairdo.

54_zps8ec9141d.jpg

Who cares for Lando? Some people think he's Apollo Creed!

Drugs, she was the face of drugs.

Mark Hamill had a serious car accident between Star Wars and Empire that caused injuries to his face.

Joey's right, Fisher was zonked on drugs during Jedi.

Yes, and from what I remember, Mark Hamill's accident and change of appearance was one of the reasons they opened the second film with Wampa attack.

It's funny how Fisher used her drug experiences to promote the recent making of Empire book:

“These books are the acid flashback they’ve been promising us without the mess and fuss of dropping acid . . . again. A trip worth taking.”—Carrie Fisher

Karol

Jedi used to be really watchable for the Jabba's palace scenes (until they defecated on that with the SE CG songs), the Pit of Sarlaac was a great action sequence back then, but now it's really just the Luke/Vader/Emperor theatrics which hold the attention.

And John in full on regal mode is always a joy anyway. Some of those Imperial statements are just absolutely badass.

Is the the one where Aniston strips?

She doesn't show any naughty bits -- you see her in skimpy lingerie and a low-cut stripper outfit, but no nudity. (Like Jessica Alba in Sin City and Natalie Portman in Closer.)

I don't understand the mentality of some actors. If you sign on to play a stripper, you better be able and willing to show off. We need more folks who can do that, like Demi Moore in Striptease, the male cast of Magic Mike, and Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler. Real-life strippers don't keep their tops on.

saw Elysium.

there is a reason it's a late summer entry.

I'd give it 1-1/2 stars. It's a dog. but go see it if you want.

I still haven't figured out why Jodie Foster took this role? she's too good for such a shit part.

perhaps, but anyone who thinks Jodie Foster is good in the film is a fool. She's never been worse. Of course she's got nothing to do really and she's suffering from Kevin Costner disease, her accent changes more times than Madonna or Cher at a concert. The movie is poorly written, and has a few moments where the audience goes REALLY???

It was interesting that the film takes place in the same year as Star Trek Enterprise.

The Earth in Enterprise is a world I'd much rather live in than the world depicted in Elysium. I guess that's the difference between a Roddenberry view of the future and Neill Blomkamps horrific vision pf the future.