What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Apparently the rays from the cosmic centre all converge and concentrate the highest intelligence on earth right here on JWfan. Reducing population to 1/4 isn't so bad an idea apparently. No wonder I joined the masonry.

The Bourne Ultimatum

We recently watched all 3 of the original Bourne movies, though I think I forgot to post my thoughts on the first 2 when we did. Overall I still think the first one is the best, though the second one is a very strong followup. This one, I had only seen one time, in the theater when it came out, so I was the most curious to see it again, since I remembered liking it a lot. However, I was not too impressed by it, and now I consider it to be the worst of the three.

The film's action and chase scenes are not a problem in any way - in fact, they are likely the best of the three films!. There's a motorcycle pursuit, a long and intense car chase with crazy car flips, close range fights in an apartment, a long rooftop / building chase, and others, and they are all executed perfectly and are a genuine joy to watch. The acting is also mostly fine, though Damon almost seem to be a bit bored with the character, unless it was his intent to make Bourne seem more tired and detached this time.

The problem with the film is the script. It's paper thin and in the end, not very compelling or interesting. The film begins with a plot about a reporter who is given information about Treadstone, but that whole storyline is ended prematurely. Then there's a subplot about Bourne trying to remember more about his creation that ends up being suddently what the entire film is about in the third act, that just didn't go anywhere interesting for me (seemed to just present information we already knew, or should have been obvious). I think if you shortened all the chase/action scenes down to a minute each, the whole film would be less than an hour long.

I'm not surprised Damon left the franchise after this, as I'm not sure what other stories are left to tell about the amnesiac spy, especially after spending 3 movies having the conpirators outed, killed, and/or brought to the public eye.

Overall, I can still recommend the trilogy, as the first two entries are very strong and the third has just FANTASTIC chase and action sequences, and a plot that at least wraps everything up. It's no suprise these films inspired a multitude of knock-offs, as they are quite exceptionally well-done films.

I'm not sure if there was any reason to make a fourth film except money, and I still haven't decided if we're going to bother to see it.

Inspector Clouseau (1968)

And thus ends the 60's entries of the franchise. After this entry, the franchise would lay dormant for 7 years until Sellers, Edwards, and Mancini all return to it with 1975's The Return Of The Pink Panther. Hope to watch that one soon!

If I'm not mistaken, elements from Arkin's portaryal would be used in the subsequent films. The outfit for example.

Inspector Clouseau was a very solid entry in the franchise! Marcy actually said she liked it the best of the three so far!

I'm sure at the time it was a huge uproar that Sellers and Edwards were not returning. But watching it now over 40 years later none of that matters - as you say it's just a solid comedy. The writers of the film wrote a script very much in line with the first two films, and would in fact go on to do writing for the 70s films when the franchise gets revived.

It's a damn shame this film isn't included in Pink Panther box sets, or even available in HD.

I'm not sure if there was any reason to make a fourth film except money, and I still haven't decided if we're going to bother to see it.

It pales in comparison to the Damon films but might still be worth a watch for you. It's certainly entertaining, but the plot is nonexistant and the action scenes are not as expertly directed as Greengrass'. Not to mention its very abrupt ending. There's pretty much no denouement.

Ultimatum is my favorite but I haven't watched them for years. Will need to revisit my blus soon.

I thought Ultimatum was my favorite too, until I rewatched them all now recently. The plot was surprising thin in it, after the first 2 films had detailed plots that were the perfect accompaniment to their action scenes. This film felt more like they thought of the action scenes first then realized they needed some kind of script around them. It's still fine entertainment, though.

Not really. Ultimatum starts with a brief chase scene that takes place after he apologizes to the Russian guys' daughter at the end of the second film, then jumps forward six week where the rest of the movie takes place. Towards the end of the movie he makes a call to Lundy that was shown at the very very end of Supremacy, after he apologizes to the daughter, which now has new context.

So basically if you took out that phone call from the end of 2, you'd have a film that begins immediately where 2 ended then jumps forward 6 weeks.

It's kinda weird actually, because the movie came out in 2007 but is set in 2004, and I read that 2012's Bourne 4 also takes place during Ultimatum, which would mean it also takes place in 2004..... which is an era before smartphones, etc.

The Wizard of Oz

Saw it today in IMAX 3D, a nice conversion, nothing too distracting in terms of light/color loss and no digital revisions or "improvements". I mostly forgot about the 3D but there were a few shots where I thought it worked especially well. The Kansas scenes really stood out to me, all those shots on the farm with the fence in the foreground, and especially once the twister stirs up with the cyclone in the background, the extra illusion of depth really worked. I thought the snow falling during the poppy scene looked surprisingly lovely in 3D, as well, and the long corridor into the Wizard's chamber looked great, very hypnotic. In other cases, it just made some things look flat, like some of the matte backgrounds in Oz, the scene when Dorothy sees all those people and objects flying past her window in the cyclone, or optical tricks like Glinda's bubble or when the Witch throws that fireball after they meet the Tin Man. It's fun to find those seams, though, and they come across as particularly quaint with this film, so I didn't mind. A lot of it still holds up to scrutiny on that big IMAX screen, which was great to see, and its fundamental aspects will never age, of course.

The movie still works like a charm, sweet, funny, beautiful, and it really moves, I always forget that it's almost 2 hours because it feels like a 75 minute movie. Perfectly spotted, as well, it's obviously wall-to-wall music which works beautifully, but its few score-less moments are so intensely right. The twister in Kansas, the flying monkey attack, the Witch melting, and there are very few movie moments as effective as when Dorothy walks through the length of her house in total silence, before opening the door to three-strip Technicolor and that eerie, wonderful underscore.

Can't wait to see it again :)

Watched the opening 30mins of This is the End with a couple of pals at my house, late. You know that perfect group/environment thing that happens when a decent comedy is on tv - and how every single humorous moment becomes amplified x10,000?

The intro to that movie is undoubtedly the funniest thing I've seen in years. My head nearly exploded we were laughing that much.

We decided to hold off watching it all (for boring parental reasons) and have agreed to wait till the next time.

Yeah, about that. Saw the rest of it tonight. Turns out all the Emmerich stuff (and opportunities for extermination set piece fun and games) was literally all in that intro we watched last week. The actual rest of the movie turned out to be a mildly amusing ensemble in James Franco's house - with not a Monty Python comedy special effect in sight.

Boring.

What's that old proverb?! A comedy is only as funny as the people you watch it with .

Movie is a 2/5. Gah

Go for the Simon Pegg one!

NO, it's a clearly inferior film in almost every way.

This is the End > The Worlds End.

The Bourne Ultimatum

We recently watched all 3 of the original Bourne movies, though I think I forgot to post my thoughts on the first 2 when we did. Overall I still think the first one is the best, though the second one is a very strong followup. This one, I had only seen one time, in the theater when it came out, so I was the most curious to see it again, since I remembered liking it a lot. However, I was not too impressed by it, and now I consider it to be the worst of the three.

The film's action and chase scenes are not a problem in any way - in fact, they are likely the best of the three films!. There's a motorcycle pursuit, a long and intense car chase with crazy car flips, close range fights in an apartment, a long rooftop / building chase, and others, and they are all executed perfectly and are a genuine joy to watch. The acting is also mostly fine, though Damon almost seem to be a bit bored with the character, unless it was his intent to make Bourne seem more tired and detached this time.

The problem with the film is the script. It's paper thin and in the end, not very compelling or interesting. The film begins with a plot about a reporter who is given information about Treadstone, but that whole storyline is ended prematurely. Then there's a subplot about Bourne trying to remember more about his creation that ends up being suddently what the entire film is about in the third act, that just didn't go anywhere interesting for me (seemed to just present information we already knew, or should have been obvious). I think if you shortened all the chase/action scenes down to a minute each, the whole film would be less than an hour long.

I'm not surprised Damon left the franchise after this, as I'm not sure what other stories are left to tell about the amnesiac spy, especially after spending 3 movies having the conpirators outed, killed, and/or brought to the public eye.

Overall, I can still recommend the trilogy, as the first two entries are very strong and the third has just FANTASTIC chase and action sequences, and a plot that at least wraps everything up. It's no suprise these films inspired a multitude of knock-offs, as they are quite exceptionally well-done films.

Strange that it took you so long to see that Ultimatum was the worst of the franchise (that is, before Legacy, of course). Most realized it halfway the movie when they saw it for the first time.

Alex

The Wizard of Oz

Saw it today in IMAX 3D, a nice conversion, nothing too distracting in terms of light/color loss and no digital revisions or "improvements". I mostly forgot about the 3D but there were a few shots where I thought it worked especially well. The Kansas scenes really stood out to me, all those shots on the farm with the fence in the foreground, and especially once the twister stirs up with the cyclone in the background, the extra illusion of depth really worked. I thought the snow falling during the poppy scene looked surprisingly lovely in 3D, as well, and the long corridor into the Wizard's chamber looked great, very hypnotic. In other cases, it just made some things look flat, like some of the matte backgrounds in Oz, the scene when Dorothy sees all those people and objects flying past her window in the cyclone, or optical tricks like Glinda's bubble or when the Witch throws that fireball after they meet the Tin Man. It's fun to find those seams, though, and they come across as particularly quaint with this film, so I didn't mind. A lot of it still holds up to scrutiny on that big IMAX screen, which was great to see, and its fundamental aspects will never age, of course.

The movie still works like a charm, sweet, funny, beautiful, and it really moves, I always forget that it's almost 2 hours because it feels like a 75 minute movie. Perfectly spotted, as well, it's obviously wall-to-wall music which works beautifully, but its few score-less moments are so intensely right. The twister in Kansas, the flying monkey attack, the Witch melting, and there are very few movie moments as effective as when Dorothy walks through the length of her house in total silence, before opening the door to three-strip Technicolor and that eerie, wonderful underscore.

Can't wait to see it again :)

I would gladly pay money not to have to see it in 3D.

I was a 27 year old kid watching an action movie with my friends at the movies on a Friday night the only other time I saw Ultimatum.

Started my Halloween viewing fest early... with Elvira's Haunted Hills. It's intentionally cheesy (homage to Roger Corman's films) and the low budget shows, but man does Cassandra Peterson bring it as Elvira.

If you're not an Elvira fan, it's going to be a long 90 minutes. Mary Scheer and Heather Hopper's characters could've been removed entirely, they were that redundant and unfunny.

Evil Dead (2013)

It's more gory than scary, but halfway through, I started enjoying myself. Liked the homages to the original film, and the blood-soaked finale was a hoot. Jane Levy brought it and she was a real trooper in this film. If Fede Alvarez and Sam Raimi do follow through with their crossover plan, I would definitely be there opening night -- if only to see Levy and Bruce Campbell's characters cut loose.

And Roque Banos' score is kept mostly intact in the film. Still quite an accomplishment, with the air raid sirens and all.

Due Date: Best described as a new but weak version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Everything feels fake. No soul! This film could have been better and more refined in the hands of someone like Alexander Payne. 5/10

MV5BMTU5MTgxODM3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjMx

Stoker: Park's film is fairly pretty to look at but ultimately it didn't work for me. No attachment with the characters or their dialog. No soul. Then there's the serious lack of tension, not to mention the pointless ending. I expected more from Stoker. 5/10

MV5BMjI3MTM5ODI5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjE1

Alex

More crappy films. Keep 'em coming!

It's an endless supply these days!

Next on the list is Cloud Atlas but I think it would be wiser to skip it. There's something about it that doesn't bode well.

I never really understand how 3D is supposed to help, anyway. Even in films where they do it justice, it's still a gimmick. Cool one sometimes (Life of Pi), but still. And it still gives me minor headaches.

Karol

I never really understand how 3D is supposed to help, anyway. Even in films where they do it justice, it's still a gimmick. Cool one sometimes (Life of Pi), but still. And it still gives me minor headaches.

Karol

That also affects other departments too, like sound effects, visual effects, score and even acting. The whole film production is a bunch of gimmicks.