What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I think you mean, J.R.R. Tolkien ;)

The first 200 pages of LOTR are a long and imho boring haul, but worked like gangbusters in Jacksons movie. So...

Lots of people said the same about King Kong.

king kong worked much better than the first shit film of the Hobbit series, perhaps his second film will have less problems.

Eloquently put, as always.

The first 200 pages of LOTR are a long and imho boring haul, but worked like gangbusters in Jacksons movie. So...

king kong worked much better than the first shit film of the Hobbit series, perhaps his second film will have less problems.

I was trying to be hateful about the first hobbit of the series, a series which done properly would be a 2 and 1/2 stand alone film.

Not seeing it in HFR.

I didn't have plans to see it in cinemas at all, but my friends are all going and I am enough of a hermit already these days. You can tell from my increasing postcount.

Karol

I make sure that i don't see the second one in 48fps, which added insult to injury.

locally that isn't an option. I really don't care to see part 2 but Dave wants to see it on his birthday so we'll go out for dinner and a movie.

I passed out when the dwarves started to sing while washing the dishes. Indulgence, thy name is Peter Jackson.

I've read the book. Unlike Jackson, the author didn't take fifteen years to get to the dish washing song.

Some fans feel like Jackson has to stick with "Tradition" (Prologue, scene, title) and feel exactly like LOTR because of some fans.

Tolkien did not (because LOTR had not been written yet!)

He would not have written LOTR if it were not for the fans of The Hobbit!

But no, my point was that Jackson "has" to make The Hobbit fit with LOTR, Tolkien did not.

He would not have written LOTR if it were not for the fans of The Hobbit!

But no, my point was that Jackson "has" to make The Hobbit fit with LOTR, Tolkien did not.

No he didn't. Jackson chose to off his own back. There was definitely opposition out there which worried that Jackson might indeed tie the a hobbit in too closely with LotR.

Plus how does any of that have any bearing on an excessively long Bag End sequence?

No, because the events of LOTR happen afterwards.

And pretty much everything from the Freeman side of the Bag End sequence was from the book..

And pretty much everything from the Freeman side of the Bag End sequence was from the book..

Which is why most of it should have been jettisoned to allow the language of film to speak for itself and begin its cinematic narrative ebb and flow more eloquently and cohesively.

Then

Which is why most of it should have been jettisoned to allow the language of film to speak for itself and begin its cinematic narrative ebb and flow more eloquently and cohesively.

Because its essential to the "moral" of the story?

Which is of course rather tough shit if you blow up your 200-page children's book to a 9-hour EPICTM . This is now really old news, but i still think even a moneyhungry bastard producer should have lobbied for only two movies.

Then

Sure, but remember to bring an editor.

And the events of The Hobbit happen before. So?

Are you saying that when you do a "prequel" to something that was a hit (like in Jackson's case), you're bound to fit in terms of tone (or other things) with the original story, but when you do a sequel to something that was a hit (like in Tolkien's case), you do not have to make it fit in terms of tone with the original story?

Yes.

The Silmarillion makes it shaky, a lot of it was written first, but it had not been published, and it was in a raw form at the time...

Then

Sure, but remember to bring an editor.

Bring back John Gilbert!

Which is of course rather tough !@#$%^&* if you blow up your 200-page children's book to a 9-hour EPICTM .

Plus 30 or so pages of misc material.

Thanks for correcting me on that. Make sure to that i don't get all those fascinating names wrong, like Thoralf the gobsmacked Goblin of Gwindenlarf or Cerbus the mischievous mountain magus who once stole the stupendous sword of Swondelwald. ;)

Tell that to all the nerds I used to beat up in high school.

Why'd you do that?

Envy. A cold heart and stupidity.

I had to get my lunch money somewhere! And prove I wasn't a nerd! And get a date to the sock hop!

Sock hops are still a thing, right?

I'm not talking to you anymore!

Would you change your mind if I admitted to sarcasm, and admitted further that I am, in fact, and always have been, a nerd? I have a band/orchestra award and a LOTR Fan Club card to verify.

Yes that was my point. Just because something takes awhile to do something doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. I love King Kong's 'three acts, three hours' structure.

Sock hops are still a thing, right?

Beats me. Is it like a "Nolan quickie"?

Is that when you pleasure yourself to Anne Hathaway's scenes in TDKR? Because that's definitely still a thing.

But you love every film, it doesnt count Koray.

King Kong was a 3 hour film based on a 90 minute film. AUJ is a 3 hour film based on (mostly) 90 pages from a book.

With the LOTR films he at least had enough (more then enough) actual content to fill his very long films.

I'm not talking to you anymore!

Would you change your mind if I admitted to sarcasm, and admitted further that I am, in fact, and always have been, a nerd? I have a band/orchestra award and a LOTR Fan Club card to verify.

Way to ruin an online image!

Yeah. You could have been the coolest guy on JWFan and had all of us bow to your feet. But instead, you chose exile.