What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Did you see it in a theater?

No.

I guess I should have, but I believe the true power of a film should be revealed anyway, in spite of seeing it in a big screen, or 3d, or 2d...

By the way, watching it I kept thinking how it would be with a soundtrack like this:

(this is from a space anime, which stresses the isolation of it)

Hold up. That's gorgeous.

Did you see it in a theater?

No.

I guess I should have, but I believe the true power of a film should be revealed anyway, in spite of seeing it in a big screen, or 3d, or 2d...

By the way, watching it I kept thinking how it would be with a soundtrack like this:

(this is from a space anime, which stresses the isolation of it)

Hold up. That's gorgeous.

:)

Yeah!

The anime is GORGEOUS too! (look it up)

It's 3 individual stories, and the space one is the first, for which you listened to the theme..

Before Sunrise

It's one of the shining examples of indie films -- characters take center stage and drive the plot, rather than the other way around. (As well as a refreshing lack of pretentiousness or quirkiness.) I like the way how stripped down and efficient it is -- and the on-location shooting in Vienna adds to the production value ($2.7M budget). The dialogue is fascinating and yet feels organic to the characters, and there's so much subtlety and emotion Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy convey with body language alone. It doesn't have any kind of musical score, but the film clearly doesn't need it either.

Still in love with this movie. Don't know why I feel this way, but it feels unabashedly romantic and refreshingly realistic at the same time. The two follow-ups are good, but the first will always be a personal favorite.

The Dark Knight

Ignoring its enormous popularity, box-office success, and criticism leveled at it and its follow-up -- it's still quite the experience. Heath Ledger definitely went out on top as The Joker (the finest performance of his career) and his scenes have this electric charge and volatility throughout. Even though this Joker is far more merciless and unpredictable -- the criticism leveled is that "Ledger's Joker isn't funny!" -- there's still an element of black humor. The scene where he crashes the mob meeting and him disguised as a nurse, for one. Action scenes don't fare as well, but anything involving the Batpod and the Tumbler still hold up.

But the last five minutes of the movie is still quite the experience. The montage-style ending is done perfectly, and it's... wow. The fact that The Dark Knight Rises exists doesn't tarnish the impact of its predecessor.

It's easy to watch movies on a pc screen if you're so inclined. Maybe that was just the convenient solution for the guy. Although at that close distance I'd have used headphones.

Ledger's Joker was hilarious. And DKR was great.

My comment was geared to those people who put TDK on a pedestal, had inflated expectations for TDKR, saw it, and decided to say "well, it's not great, so screw you Nolan, your Batman trilogy SUCKS!". But then these are the same folks who had a meltdown when Ben Affleck was cast as the new Batman.

I thought TDKR was a fine capper to the series. Not perfect, but it certainly wasn't Spider-Man 3 or X-Men: The Last Stand.

Yeah, 1080p really needs a big screen to be worthwhile. But that's a different discussion. The HD image on a small screen wouldn't have any detrimental effect on one's enjoyment of a movie.

You may as well be buying DVDs if that's what you watch blu-ray on.

That's not true.

I see the difference and it's big.

And besides, the 1080p picture is just the resolution of my screen which is HD 1920x1080.

I mean the Bluray is not downscaled to a lower resolution.

by the way, forgot to mention that also since I'm sitting in front of the screen the benefits are apparent.

If I was sitting far away from the screen, the thing you said would apply (I wouldn't see much of a difference between a DVD and a Bluray).

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying a large TV in the future and anyway my living room is small..

i don't have a big apartment. It's just the ideal size for one person.

Nebraska

I saw this a few days ago but forgot to do a write up about it. It's a good film with lots of atmosphere. Payne does a superb job of submerging you in the midwest through cinematography, art direction, and costume design. You just feel like you're there on this pilgrimage with the characters. It's funny with a nice amount of cultural quirk; and it has a rather fresh and excellent score. The amount of Oscar noms it received surprised me, but then again the Academy loves Alexander Payne. It's a big step up from The Descendants, which garnered the same amount of attention, but it never really reaches a level of greatness.

On a side note. I sat through the credits and was slightly depressed at the "Soundtrack album available on iTunes" card at the end. Have we officially reached that point?

Why not? Movies have been closing the end credits with messages as to which label carries the record or cassette or compact disc for decades. Maybe Apple got to them first, to put their name there ahead of Amazon or some other MP3 service. I think that's the difference, that the company name is used instead of the media format (since CD is not dead yet), but at one point, cassette competed with eight track. Maybe in ten years, iTunes will be the only option left, and its brand name becomes synonymous with the format. After all, aren't all tissues just Kleenex to the average joe?

It's also on physical disc

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKVP0V8

Hadn't looked into it yet, thanks for the link.

Why not? Movies have been closing the end credits with messages as to which label carries the record or cassette or compact disc for decades. Maybe Apple got to them first, to put their name there ahead of Amazon or some other MP3 service. I think that's the difference, that the company name is used instead of the media format (since CD is not dead yet), but at one point, cassette competed with eight track. Maybe in ten years, iTunes will be the only option left, and its brand name becomes synonymous with the format. After all, aren't all tissues just Kleenex to the average joe?

My point was that it didn't specify the label that released the music. I had assumed that it was digital only release.

Yeah, 1080p really needs a big screen to be worthwhile.

That depends entirely on the distance from the screen, i.e. the perceived pixel size.

Also, even on small screens at a distance, 1080p still makes a difference compared to standard DVD PAL/NTSC. When I first saw Lost in Blu on my 24" screen at the foot of my bed (i.e. from a distance of 2m), I was shocked by how sharp and detailed the image was.

Nebraska

I saw this a few days ago but forgot to do a write up about it. It's a good film with lots of atmosphere. Payne does a superb job of submerging you in the midwest through cinematography, art direction, and costume design. You just feel like you're there on this pilgrimage with the characters. It's funny with a nice amount of cultural quirk; and it has a rather fresh and excellent score. The amount of Oscar noms it received surprised me, but then again the Academy loves Alexander Payne. It's a big step up from The Descendants, which garnered the same amount of attention, but it never really reaches a level of greatness.

On a side note. I sat through the credits and was slightly depressed at the "Soundtrack album available on iTunes" card at the end. Have we officially reached that point?

Hmm, I totally forget about Payne's latest. The Descendants was kinda a disappointment to me.

Kick-Ass 2: 3/10

ClaudiaLee_KickAss2Appearance_74_zps3c8d

Did you watch on your computer screen? Because if you had seen it in 3D in a theater, the experience would have been totally different!

You misunderstood me, TrollBoal. The film Gravity is not yet released on DVD or Blu-ray so I was wondering how someone was able to see this movie at home in HD. That's why I assumed it must have been a cam version.

Oh I'll legwarmer the shit out of movies. Not arsed. I buy them as well of course, because I like to own my favourites.

The reason, by the way, that I didn't watch Gravity on my 47" screen is because the quality of the image blown up to that size didn't cut it. However when shrank down it was excellent, and quite watchable.

Going on Sunday to IMAX hopefully!

Same here. yeah I know you arent supposed to, But unlike what studio's or the government claims, it's not the same as kicking on ols lady to the ground and taking her wallet.

I'll but Gravity on Blu. But I'm sad becasue even in 1080 it is not gonna ever feel the same as it did in IMAX 3D.

What are you watching sunday?

When I saw it the first time in IMAX 3D it made me feel slightly dizzy after the film ended and i stood up.

That's good IMO.

More people have complained about the films "obvious" use of symbolism. And there is no denying that in that regard is comes nowhere near 2001: ASU. There isnt much left up to one's own interpretation.

But none of that even remotely destroys the overpowering enjoyment of the visuals for me. And Bullock's great performance.

Unlike some, I don't hate the score. But It's not the score that would have served this film best IMO. It's actually shockingly generic.

An orchestral score with a theme and a couple of heroic/power of the human spirit blah blah blah motifs would have been wrong for this film. I'm glad I didn't hear strings or brass in space on this occasion.

I found the sound design to be near perfect.

Indeed. Gravity falls into the category of RCP type score for me.

If I have any beef with it, it's the fact that it's actively replacing sound effects.

They made the quite brave choise of not having sound in space, and this lessens the boldness of that choice to some extent.

I would not want a big thematic score ala Apollo 13 for this either. But something that would be closer to being pure music. Goldenthal would have struck gold with this, or Shore in his textural mode.