What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Did you watch on your computer screen? Because if you had seen it in 3D in a theater, the experience would have been totally different!

You misunderstood me, TrollBoal. The film Gravity is not yet released on DVD or Blu-ray so I was wondering how someone was able to see this movie at home in HD. That's why I assumed it must have been a cam version.

You misunderstood me, Asscremers. I was not referring to your comment. I was just referring to people in general who come up with the "That's because you didn't see it in 3D and in the theater that you didn't like the film" bullshit for Gravity, Avatar or other films like that.

Goodbye, troll.

An orchestral score with a theme and a couple of heroic/power of the human spirit blah blah blah motifs would have been wrong for this film. I'm glad I didn't hear strings or brass in space on this occasion.

I found the sound design to be near perfect.

I think an artistic orchestral score (not with themes and motifs etc.) would have done WONDERS for this film and would take it to a whole new level!

eg. something like the Ligeti choirs of 2001 and such modernistic music..

or something like the music pieces used in The Tree of Life:

I felt the current score was too "American". (by saying american I don't mean of course Copland etc.). I mean the kind of scores that are nowadays in American blockbusters.

Nebraska

I saw this a few days ago but forgot to do a write up about it. It's a good film with lots of atmosphere. Payne does a superb job of submerging you in the midwest through cinematography, art direction, and costume design. You just feel like you're there on this pilgrimage with the characters. It's funny with a nice amount of cultural quirk; and it has a rather fresh and excellent score. The amount of Oscar noms it received surprised me, but then again the Academy loves Alexander Payne. It's a big step up from The Descendants, which garnered the same amount of attention, but it never really reaches a level of greatness.

On a side note. I sat through the credits and was slightly depressed at the "Soundtrack album available on iTunes" card at the end. Have we officially reached that point?

Hmm, I totally forget about Payne's latest. The Descendants was kinda a disappointment to me.

I thought it was disappointing as well, but like I said, Nebraska is a vast improvement. I think you'd like it, for what it's worth.

Indeed. Gravity falls into the category of RCP type score for me.

If I have any beef with it, it's the fact that it's actively replacing sound effects.

They made the quite brave choise of not having sound in space, and this lessens the boldness of that choice to some extent.

I would not want a big thematic score ala Apollo 13 for this either. But something that would be closer to being pure music. Goldenthal would have struck gold with this, or Shore in his textural mode.

Totally agree. Goldenthal would strike gold with most projects anyway

I thought it was disappointing as well, but like I said, Nebraska is a vast improvement. I think you'd like it, for what it's worth.

Thanks for reminding me. I'll put it on my very short list of released movies I still need to see.

Some of those are:

Beyond The Black Rainbow

Heaven Gate, Director's Cut

Nebraska

Even on my 20 inch screen i see a huge difference between SD and 1080.

But not between 720p and 1080p, which is what I am talking about.

On my 23" computer screen I can see a small difference when watching it my desk. Not enough to be relevant, but enough to notice.

But for downloads, compression is more important. I don't download movies, but I do download series in 720p. And the compression generally breaks down for very detailed images or fast action. Movie downloads might have better bit rates perhaps.

When I saw it the first time in IMAX 3D it made me feel slightly dizzy after the film ended and i stood up.

I had that even without IMAX.

More people have complained about the films "obvious" use of symbolism. And there is no denying that in that regard is comes nowhere near 2001: ASU. There isnt much left up to one's own interpretation.

But none of that even remotely destroys the overpowering enjoyment of the visuals for me. And Bullock's great performance.

I think it will keep the film rewatchable, when restricting things to the bare story would work just as well on a first viewing but would probably get uninteresting quickly the next time you see it. The symbolism gives it a bit more variety and more things to look for when you already know what's happening.

Watched The Boys from Brazil. The acting is spot on. Peck and Olivier are so good. James Mason too. The ending is so humane.

Watched The Boys from Brazil. The acting is spot on. Peck and Olivier are so good. James Mason too. The ending is so humane.

That's on my list of movies to watch on Netflix before they vanish.

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

A peculiar movie that I didn't expect to be like this.

It's included in AFI's 100 best films and Hoffman's performance is considered on of the greatest performances of all time..

I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I kind of liked it.

I'll have to watch it again sometime to have a better opinion.

He kind of liked it.

It was one of my favorite movies when I was a teen and a twen. It's a movie that gets less love as decades are passing (it's 316 at IMDb's Top 5000 while it used to be in the Top 250). A problem for many viewers might be that the characters aren't extremely likable and Dustin's acting might be seen as a little too pronounced these days.

Alex

What did you like? What did you not like? Why do you think you have mixed feelings about it?

First of all, I don't like writing reviews on films that's why I'm keeping it short.

I am not sure what is it I liked and didn't like.

the thing I know is that the artistic flashbacks and montages (eg. at the party scene) were kind of new to me..

Of course Dustin Hoffmann is great!

I liked the ending.. That's about it for now...

I can't fully appreciate its greatness on first viewing. I think it needs some more viewings.

I didn't understand if it has a central meaning or if it's just a study on 2 characters.

And what about the Oscar nomination for supporting actress? Was it like 5 minutes she appeared on screen? Yeah, she was good but..

It would be interesting to start a thread on the shortest roles that were nominated for an Oscar!

I can't fully appreciate its greatness on first viewing. I think it needs some more viewings.

I didn't understnad if it has a central meaning or if it's just a study on 2 characters.

If it is just a character study? What did you think of the character?

What makes you believe there might be a central theme? What do you suppose it is?

You always make film viewing seem so difficult, while it isnt.

Sorry, can't reply to anything right now..

I guess it caught me off guard, because as I said i was expecting something else.

More of a mainstream movie with a mainstream storyline, editing, directing..

Useless!

I find your comment a bit rude, no offense.

I am not a film critic and I'm not obliged to write an essay here about the movie.

i just wrote that I saw the movie, pointed out a couple of elements, so that another person could search and find more if it's something that would interest him/her to see.

Next up is The Hindenburg.

Useless!

I am not a film critic and I'm not obliged to write an essay here about the movie.

i just wrote that I saw the movie, pointed out a couple of elements, so that another person could search and find more if it's something that would interest him/her to see.

Are you a big fan of children's cartoons?

Useless!

we're all critics in one way of the other however if you don't know what to think that is a perfectly legitimate answer.

Useless!

Yes, I am.

What do you mean?

Next up is The Hindenburg.

Oh, the humanity!

Look even you have said before that sometimes you have to think about it. I know I rarely sit on the fence here, that is wishy/washy, but FM has posted some good thoughts. I know what I think about Midnight Cowboy how was this X rated movie and it really drags. I've seen so many better performances than the ones in that movie.

The main title to the Hindenburg is scrumptious.

Useless!

Yes, I am.

What do you mean?

OK

I apologize and am bailing out of this discussion!

Friendship is magic!

I didn't realize the Hiddenburg has the cowardous Gig Young,

OH I forgot that we saw Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit at the matinee yesterday. We enjoyed it. It's often tense. Chris Pine is very nice on the eyes.

Useless!

Yes, I am.

What do you mean?

OK

I apologize and am bailing out of this discussion!

Friendship is magic!

I didn't understand this discussion (especially when the cartoons were involved*), but anyway..

Accepted, although I guess there wasn't much need to apologize.

I guess that is the way you talk sometimes (without deliberately being rude or something), and I'm a bit touchy (yes, I am, even with close friends).

*maybe you meant you're playing it the "Family Guy" type?

this is what came to mind.

How was the score Joey?

typical servicable score by Doyle, I do like that fact that Branagh and Doyle are a team.

The Hindenburg is one of those movies that looks better on TV than it did on the big screen.

I don't have an answer, I didn't watch many cartoons during that time.

Nothing anime or manga that's for sure.

pub I would not know the difference.

but Shire's score is very very good.

the film is so melodramatic and I mean that in the kindest sense. I looks like the Blue Max. Simply gorgeous to look at.

I guess it caught me off guard, because as I said i was expecting something else.

More of a mainstream movie with a mainstream storyline, editing, directing..

Very good! Your feelings don't betray you. Midnight Cowboy is part of what they call 'New Hollywood', an arty period in the history of American cinema with almost no studio interference and which was ended by Lucas and Spielberg (even though they were part of it) when they brought back 'Old Hollywood'.

The Darkest Hour:

MV5BMTg1NTIxNTY3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY2

Different take on War Of The Worlds: The most original thing about it is that it takes place in Moskou. It's a B movie with a nice budget but not a very good one. 3/10

Alex