What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Yes, Mission To Mars has similar rotating anti gravity shots. Very good, Mr Shark.

Anyhoo, the were other moments way more cringeworthy than that shot.

Alex

I don't remember exactly but one of those moments went like: Sandra: "It's time to go home!" (with incredibly cheesy crescendo music). Or what about the family photo floating next the astronaut with half of his face missing?! How sentimental can it get? I hated the overly narrating score, BTW. I already felt something was wrong when the music was making 'whoosh' sounds during the 'accident'.

But technically, wow, I simply don't know how they pulled it off.

It's all done with computers!

Cameron is a great admirer of the film btw.

I can image he is, since his movies are cutting edge too.

Alex

Cameron films (well, maybe except Avatar) have a soul that I didn't see in Gravity!

(and I think this soul is largely the result of use of miniature sets and such stuff, and the real action, instead of CGI)

Gravity: Technically very, very impressive but that's about it. Emotionally and cerebrally, it felt like watching a Cameron movie. I expected more. 5/10

I don't think they could have made it more without ending up with less.

Yes, Mission To Mars has similar rotating anti gravity shots. Very good, Mr Shark.

Which were inspired by 2001 - as was the ending.

I don't remember exactly but one of those moments went like: Sandra: "It's time to go home!" (with incredibly cheesy crescendo music). Or what about the family photo floating next the astronaut with half of his face missing?! How sentimental can it get?

So you actually wanted less rather than more?

Gravity: Technically very, very impressive but that's about it. Emotionally and cerebrally, it felt like watching a Cameron movie. I expected more. 5/10

I don't think they could have made it more without ending up with less.

Less $?

And he comically scrambles to defend it, something he criticizes others for frequently! ;)

I'm guessing Alex is talking about Mission to Mars. Nothing in that film's highly spiritual finale is as stupid as Bullock going into foetal position.

God it's refreshing to see someone talk about that film like that.

video-undefined-1BA51708000005DC-288_636

Alex

There are days when I love you Alex Cremers.

Karol

Of course, it all goes back to 2001, for it is after all the grandad of modern sci-fi (not that Gravity is sci-fi, but hey).

Oddly enough, I though I was the only one who was disappointed with Gravity. Honestly, I thought the film was celebrated by almost everybody. I guess I was wrong.

Alex

Kind of like it Inception, really. First few reviews suggested it was like a Kubrick meets Blade Runner and shit hit the fan. Strange because it is essentially a really fun, but silly film.

Karol - who didn't like Gravity the film but enjoyed the experience of watching it

I think it was deeply hurt by the hype around it. Blew it into something far more than it was.

Deeply hurt in that it made close to 700 million dollars? Which for an autumn release outside of the blockbuster season is excellent.

And it did so without a fancy and expensive viral marketing campaign. Just a few trailers and lots of word to mouth!

Kind of like it Inception, really. First few reviews suggested it was like a Kubrick meets Blade Runner and shit hit the fan. Strange because it is essentially a really fun, but silly film.

Karol - who didn't like Gravity the film but enjoyed the experience of watching it

Agreed - about your feelings on Gravity, that is. I don't find Inception to be silly.

Deeply hurt in how I and apparently a good deal of others responded to it, Steef.

Well I saw it on openings day, after seeing the first two trailers, which looked great. And the movie didnt disappoint on that level.

The emotional autists that worship the emotionally detached styles of Nolan and Fincher might take offense with some of it. I am certainly the first to admit that the symbolism in the movie is plain for all to see. But none of this detracted from the amazing visual experience. Which is what the film is ultimately about.

That's fine, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm not saying you shouldn't have. It was a visual treat yes. What I am saying is that much of the marketing, at least here, made it seem like something much more than that, something that would resonate emotionally in a powerful way. And it just didn't.

I agree with Stefan. Sure, its not the most subtle with its symbolism and such, but Gravity is really about the experience. And its been a long time since I've seen so immersive a film in the cinema. I think its one of the best films of the year.

What I am saying is that much of the marketing, at least here, made it seem like something much more than that, something that would resonate emotionally in a powerful way.

What marketing did that?

The trailers?

The ones I saw were a very accurate representation of the film.

The emotional autists that worship the emotionally detached styles of Nolan and Fincher might take offense with some of it.

Why should they? This not a pitch between GRAVITY and SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, there isn't that much of a difference.

The emotional autists that worship the emotionally detached styles of Nolan and Fincher might take offense with some of it.

Why should they? This not a pitch between GRAVITY and SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, there isn't that much of a difference.

They seem to object of the rather obvious emotional angle of parts of the film. The backstory of Dr. Stone's dead daughter being hissed at the most I believe.

What I am saying is that much of the marketing, at least here, made it seem like something much more than that, something that would resonate emotionally in a powerful way.

What marketing did that?

The trailers?

The ones I saw were a very accurate representation of the film.

Commercials.

Also when the trailer used one of Arvo Part's pieces, that just rubbed me the wrong way. Very try-hard.

Autism is cool, anyway.

Karol

I'm sorry. Can you explain that, or did you mean "auteur-ism"?

No I meant autism. I know quite a few autistic people and they are really interesting individuals. Hence, I'm not offended by being called one.

Karol