What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I've watched The Tree of Life twice.

While I adore it visually, it still couldn't affect me emotionally.

It also felt like having a loose construction. Like bits here and there sticked together...

Indeed. Although I think I can appreciate the effort more, but its not executed all that well and ultimately comes out as a bit of a mess.

The family scenes are great little vignettes, and as always with Mallick the kids give first rate performances. I wish it focused more on that and less on the Disney dinosaurs.

Yes!

I'm still wondering why that kid that played the part of Jack, hasn't had any other film proposition ever since!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4447472/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

Agreed, although I adore the dinosaurs scene, the family stuff were the best parts of the film. The space scenes felt too close to being a Kubrick copycat -not that there's anything wrong with that, but I would have liked Malick to try something different that hadn't been done so successfully before.

Despite that, I still love the film. It's not for everyone, but Malick is like that most of the time. For example I adore Tree of Life and Badlands but Days of Heaven bores me to death, despite the gorgeous photography and Morricone's masterful but mostly unused score.

I don't know, I just can't get into it. I plan to watch it again though. I feel there might be something I missed during my first viewing, or was expecting something else perhaps... The dead-pan improvised narration kinda annoyes me.

But as I said, I have to watch it again.

The family scenes are great little vignettes, and as always with Mallick the kids give first rate performances. I wish it focused more on that and less on the Disney dinosaurs.

The birth/growth of the children sequence is simply gorgeous. Beautifully captures the spirit and energy of a new family.

It's a house of cards that topples over on its own weight and pomposity.

Ah, the typically 'it's pretentious' card ;)

With Malick, it's the same. He seems just not interested to let people understand what he's after and just throws these tangled strains of thought at the screen as if they would mean anything though i'm not sure if even he knows. He can make stuff like this, of course, i just think it's a waste of time for most people who see it and thus, i don't see much point in working your ass off two or three years on a movie most people couldn't possibly get a grasp on (or care much).

He had actually been working towards it ever since Days Of Heaven. I think the problem is that Malick knows more than anybody, thus alienating his viewers who go in expecting more traditional cinema. This one is very much rooted in his own life. Though to play advocate against my own point (though admittedly stealing from IMDb trivia), Sean Penn said the film didn't turn out to be the masterwork of a screenplay that he read, that he didn't even know what his character meant and that Malick probably couldn't explain it himself. These points aside, the film resonates with me in a way that only a handful of films can. All the pieces I need to make it click are there on the screen.

The dinosaur scene was the birth of consciousness. The family scenes feel incomplete without the literal parallel universe.

The dinosaur scene was the birth of consciousness. The family scenes feel incomplete without the literal parallel universe.

No, the family scenes feel like they stem from a more interesting, less new agey, 'lets hold hands and sing Kumbaya', film. Malick's better when he's dealing with the microcosm of the human condition, not the macrocosm of the universe and creation.

she did?

oh wait I thought I was still in the Hook related thread

Still not using those "bring me to the first post in this thread I haven't read yet" buttons?

For example I adore Tree of Life and Badlands but Days of Heaven bores me to death, despite the gorgeous photography and Morricone's masterful but mostly unused score.

This i found fascinating from minute one top 100. You practically can breathe the sea of grass and the lighting is from a different world.

He had actually been working towards it ever since Days Of Heaven. I think the problem is that Malick knows more than anybody, thus alienating his viewers who go in expecting more traditional cinema.

If he knows so much, he should know people don't like being bored.

These conversations pretty much ensure I never watch it. Life's too short.

Spoken with great foresight, Quint, you really going to hate it. It's very new age and spiritual.

If only they made all that whispering audible ;)

That's what threw me out of the movie. The soft whispering and the loud music. After a while, I even turned on the subtitles for the deaf or hard of hearing.

For me, TREE OF LIFE was comparable to a seminar in university. Sometimes the most exciting topic would become a horrible snoozer because the prof doing it just was a bad teacher/entertainer whatever, sometimes a seminar about quantum physics was engaging like hell for six months because the prof just was a brilliant teacher/storytelller. With Malick, it's the same. He seems just not interested to let people understand what he's after and just throws these tangled strains of thought at the screen as if they would mean anything though i'm not sure if even he knows. He can make stuff like this, of course, i just think it's a waste of time for most people who see it and thus, i don't see much point in working your ass off two or three years on a movie most people couldn't possibly get a grasp on (or care much).

I mainly hoped that Tree Of Life would be a captivating sensory experience, one that leaves behind many long-lasting impressions. And to a certain point, it was exactly that, although the family scenes did tamper with the experience. As to what it means, I'm not sure, but my understanding of the movie is that Malick is telling us there is a force in the universe that we can't explain and that some people refer to as god. Couldn't it be as simple as that?

Alex

It's a film about the puniness of mankind. We should not be arrogant to think we're the be-all and end-all of existence. Of course, I could be wrong, I need to see it again.

Alex

How long is it?

These conversations pretty much ensure I never watch it. Life's too short.

Spoken with great foresight, Quint, you really going to hate it. It's very new age and spiritual.

I'm big on spiritualism but I'm usually sneeringly dismissive of New Age AKA pretentious poetic fairy fair. But I also usually need something which offers more than just a sensory experience, because I enjoy intellectualism and cognitive understanding beyond chimpanzee level.

That's what it says on the back of my Blu-ray. Is it a misprint?

The back cover of the US Bluray says 139 minutes.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Tree-of-Life-Blu-ray/25528/

the UK one says indeed 133 minutes:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Tree-of-Life-Blu-ray/27959/

i wonder if the UK version is censored or anything..

Hmmmmm:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/tree-life-2011

THE TREE OF LIFE Video 133m 9s Twentieth Century Fox Home Ent. 13/09/2011

THE TREE OF LIFE Film 138m 45s 20th Century Fox Film Co. Ltd 10/06/2011

edit: Alex, do you have the UK edition?

If it's not much trouble can you check the BLuray and tell us if the duration of the film is 139 or 133 minutes?

edit2:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=368&disc2=367&hd_multiID=1124#auswahl

The German one has the same duration with the US one.

But I also usually need something which offers more than just a sensory experience, because I enjoy intellectualism and cognitive understanding beyond chimpanzee level.

That's new information. Doesn't sound like you at all.

edit: Alex, do you have the UK edition?

If it's not much trouble can you check the BLuray and tell us if the duration of the film is 139 or 133 minutes?

Yes, I have the UK edition. I'm not going to put on the film because I want to safe that for when I'm going to watch it again.

That's a very ambiguous post, Quint. It could mean that I'm the ape enjoying a stone block, or it could mean this film is the kind of intellectualizing you want to practice whenever you watch a movie.

Alex

Not sure, but the film itself is one of the better directed things I've seen recently. Over-directed, even. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, given what it's about.

Karol

Oh, OK. I thought that was "coup" as in "a sudden and decisive action in politics, especially one resulting in a change of government illegally or by force".

That's why I thought: "That's insane!"

ROTFLMAO

That's a coup d'état, like what happened in Egypt last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

The thing is, it's positive critique like that which can actually put me off seeing a film. Because I'd hate to think I might actually enjoy the same things that divvy does ;)

That's the Quint I know.

The thing is, it's positive critique like that which can actually put me off seeing a film. Because I'd hate to think I might actually enjoy the same things that divvy does ;)

Oh it is not a Quint film.

Karol