What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Well 96% on RT just means that 96% of critics gave it the minimum "good" rating, not that their averge rating is 96/100.

But still... yea.

I went to see that The Lego Movie thing. It's actually quite... pedestrian. A great movie for kids, but can't see adults getting anything out of it. Underwhelming.

I liked it because it's a wonderful social satire. I loved its Anti-Pixar message.

It's more than a kid's film. Much more.

Through it's crude aesthetics and anti-corporate subtext (and maintext), it's a rallying cry against the squeaky clean, consumerist, cynical-sentimental, sterilisation of kid's imaginations that Pixar delivers, year after year.

It's a revolutionary manifesto.

Fight the power!

Yea, I got the "be yourself, don't conform" message, but I doubt anybody involved was consciously trying to take a stab at Pixar films.

I've seen both movies, and The Lego Movie was nothing like Wreck It Ralph. Not even sure what the connection you're making between them is?

Other than both relishing in nostalgia to an extent, they are very different movies.

Sounds like Wreck it Ralph again. Karol, did you like that move?

I've not seen it. There seems to be some kind of similarity in the concept. Not sure.

Karol

It's an overrated film. Not as fun as it was made out to be. Not bad, but not great.

Lego.

Ralph too, in some regards. Both being entertaining and harmless enough, but not quite what they were made out to be. Although Lego seems to be getting far more attention.

Lego is getting a ton of attention from all over the place but I agree with you - it's overrated. It's not bad, but it's not great.

And I thought I was going to be alone on this one and thus be perceived as a sad git who can't enjoy a thing.

Which is true, by the way.

Karol

Tell me about it, I am quite relieved to have come to JWFan and finding others agreeing with me on Lego. Beforehand, all I had heard was non-stop positive reviews at every corner.

on that note, the Leslie Phillips movie Crooks Anonymous.

Lovable Leslie is the pulling power but a verily half-decent cast carry the hijinks along decently. It has its points, decent fun but what a sight Julie Christie was. This was her first/second film (around the time of The Fast Lady). "He-llo!"

Watched Legend last night, for the very first time. It must have been the international version for Goldsmith's score was in it. It's such a mess, almost completely incomprehensible storytelling. Bizarre stuff - the designs, choice of voices, language. But... I can't completely dismiss it - the classic Ridley Scott of The Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner is still there. While the look is somewhat claustrophobic and the world feels rather tiny, some of the visuals are actually quite amazing. I actually like the forest set very much - feels so much more interesting and real than the ones Peter Jackson is conjuring lately.

Goldsmith's score is both a blessing and a curse. It is clearly shaping the world and being a terrific match for the visuals. But there is also something bizarre about it - creates the same suffocating atmosphere as the images. Still, one of the most enigmatic and interesting pieces of film music from the man.

It could have been a magnificent film - many ingredients are in place.

Karol

I actually like the forest set very much - feels so much more interesting and real than the ones Peter Jackson is conjuring lately.

The funny thing is that the forest is completely fake. They build their own forest which got destroyed by fire in the middle of the shoot.

What I don't like about it visually is that there are too much close-ups and you hardly see any decor in the last part of the movie.

The DC has Goldsmith music too.

You must watch the DC. Even in this form the film is kind of shitty but you get a grasp on what Scott wanted to do (the canvas of the original story is much larger, with gnome armies storming Darkness's castle and stuff like that...hello, LOTR!) and what we ended up with. The editing (pic/music) is bizarre in all versions, though the american /Tangerine Dream version borders on being a Monty-Python-like parody.

The only thing really bothering me in the JG score are the synths for the goblins which just are godawful, but on the other hand i look at stuff like this as being part of an artist hungry for trying out new things - you must give them a license to fuck up once in a while. Apart from that, it's just one of the most imaginative fantasy scores i've heard. Rooted equally in impressionism, plain songs and romanticism, all styles expertly woven into a completely unique soundscape only made possible by 'modern' equipment, it is a Goldsmith magnum opus in every sense of the word: bold, imaginative and never falling apart at the seams which so often happens when composers try to mesh disparate styles.

Strange as it may sound, I would like to see the Tangerine Dream version one day. Who knows, maybe the cheesiness blends well with the visuals. I've once saw a clip where Jon Anderson (of Yes fame) suddenly starts to sing some kind of unicorn love song ... Oh god, ....

4417_4_zps23f565b0.jpg

Alex - mostly impressed with the Darkness Waltz scene

300: Rise of an Empire

I definitely wasn't a fan of the first film, but I actually enjoyed this. It's billed as a follow-up, but mostly runs parallel to the first one (replete with footage from the first one woven in) -- as well as several returning actors (Lena Headey, David Wenham, Rodrigo Santoro). But Eva Green's Artemisia alone makes this worth checking out, and all her scenes with Sullivan Stapleton's Themistokles sizzle with tension. The end is a bit rushed -- open-ended for a third film -- but color me pleasantly surprised. Those who loved the first one's slow-mo action will be in heaven here.

As for Junkie XL's score, also surprised. Yes, he was hired because of his percussive contributions to Man of Steel, and there's definitely some carryover to this score. But it's also surprisingly varied, and the taiko drum and cimbalom are used to entertaining effect.

I love LEGEND!

Music: Masterpiece

Sets, costumes: magnificent

villain: magnificent

general aesthetics: magnificent

ok, it's the story and dialogue that aren't very good, but the rest are enough for me to love the film..

And Alex, that is my favourite scene too! (especially due to Goldsmith's music)

Watched yesterday Who framed Roger Rabbit from my newly purchased steelbook!

Here's an interesting trivia:

The first test audience was comprised mostly of 18-19-year-olds, who hated it. After nearly the entire audience walked out of the screening, Robert Zemeckis, who had final cut, said he wasn't changing a thing.

You've got to be kidding me!!!!! :eek:

The film is MARVELLOUS!!

(The Bluray also is a MUST purchase!)

I guess teens aren't a reliable audience for test screenings!

edit: one thing though about the 3 shorts (which are also restored and included in HD in the Bluray):

I think there is too much violence in them...

Second viewing of The Social Network the other night ... a wittily-scripted 'revenge of the nerds' true-life tale of how a revolutionary change (for good or ill) in how a generation socially interacts with each other came about, eventually making the supposedly uncaring-about-money Mark Zuckerberg one of the world's richest people in the process.

Strange as it may sound, I would like to see the Tangerine Dream version one day. Who knows, maybe the cheesiness blends well with the visuals. I've once saw a clip where Jon Anderson (of Yes fame) suddenly starts to sing some kind of unicorn love song ... Oh god, ....

4417_4_zps23f565b0.jpg

Alex - mostly impressed with the Darkness Waltz scene

I really wouldn't bother, Alex.

For all its shortcomings, "Legend" is lifted, immeasurely, by JG's score. The TD score, while being good to listen to (I really like "Force Majure" - "Underwater Sunlight") put with the film, it really does sound like musical wallpaper. Even the two songs cannot elevate it.

Better to watch the extended version with JG's masterful score intact. "Darkness Fails" is beyond description!

Another movie Bloodboal sees which he hates, which even though that particular flick looks terrible is still no excuse.

Hahahaha! Did you even read the post, you fucktwat?

I couldn't be arsed, no. But your movie title header implied a review and so did the score at the end therefore your post was misleading so tough shit.

You've conditioned me into expecting you to be hugely unmoved by pretty much anything you see so this was just a natural response on my part, sorry. Had your post began on a more positive note I probably would have felt compelled to read on, but no.

Well BB you got the full modern movie experience I guess. ADHD generation goes to the movies to hang out, not to watch the film. You can do that later on on your laptop while you update your social media apps on your phone at the same time. O tempora o mores!

Filmmusic - complaining about violence in cartoons? Really?

BloodBoal - any thoughts on the movie itself?

Filmmusic - complaining about violence in cartoons? Really?

Well, I don't know. It looked too violent!

I would expect something more along the lines of classic Disney shorts..

In these Roger Rabbit cartoons there were always loads of guns, knives and stuff like that.

I don't remember so many in Disney or even in Looney Tunes.

I don't remember so many in Disney or even in Looney Tunes.

Tom and Jerry were pretty violent, but they were awesome of course.

And Disney was psichologicaly violent, specially in the old days of Pinocchio and Dumbo. When you grow up you appreciate them more for being so brutal, although I don't know if I'd show my kid Pinocchio until he was 10 or so. Today's kids aren't really prepared for the Donkey transforming scene or for Stromboli, I think.

Batman: Whereas Nolan's take on the character is more gritty, cold and closer to the real world Burton's Batman captures better some of the comic book spirit of the Bat. It is exaggerated, gothic, brooding but never loses its sense of humour. The film shows its age, especially when special effects are concerned but that doesn't matter as the world that Burton is creating looks and feels right just the same. The performances are sometimes bordering on melodramatic and I think Nicholson's Joker could have been even a tad more crazy but on the whole the cast performs admirably. The script is archetypical and the build-up to the finale isn't quite as fluid or exciting as one would hope but the finale moments in the cathedral are splendid. Elfman's score adds another magnificent layer to the whole package with its still powerful mix of gothic splendour, grim darkness and zany quirkiness. And the score is allowed many moments where to shine and drive the narrative. Not a perfect film by any means but a highly entertaining one just the same. Ah the good old days...

The main titles (both music and that panning over the bat symbol) really left me quite an impression when I was a little boy, to this day. And the very first shot after the main titles I have always found to be one of the most immersive establishing shots ever

300 : Rise Of An Empire - well, like the first there's not much point in going into this hoping for high art or historical accuracy. But if you're good with uber-stylised splattery (LOTS of 'claret' spilled tbh, what do you have to do to get an 18 certificate these days?) battle violence and Eva Green chewing the scenery in 'bad bitch' mode (oh, and getting her chest out ... wahey!), it's an acceptable 'guilty pleasure'.