What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Planet of the Apes A.D. 2001. You know what? It's not as bad as I remember. Love the ape prosthetics, production design and score.

Karol

First The Transformers movies, now Burton's Planet Of The Apes?!

Sigh, Nolanites, you can't live with them, and you CAN'T live with them.

Alex

Planet of the Apes A.D. 2001. You know what? It's not as bad as I remember. Love the ape prosthetics, production design and score.

Karol

First The Transformers movies, now Burton's Planet Of The Apes?!

Sigh, Nolanites, you can't live with them, and you CAN'T live with them.

Alex

Says the guy who watches absolute shit on a regular basis ;)

Hey, its better to watch shit movies and enjoy them than watch shit movies and consistently complain about them on the Web ;)

Both can be very fulfilling activities, depending on where your sensibilities lay.

I wouldn't know, i still haven't seen 90% of the recent comic book movies because i lack the stamina to even turn the stuff on (i was punished hard enough by MOS). The bad scores do not help, while i would watch i. e. MALEFICENT just for the score.

I binge watched some older movies I hadn't seen on Netflix the other day as I organized papers.

The Last Action Hero

An enjoyable tongue-in-cheek homage to action movies and parody of Arnold himself, with two or three mini-movies inside one movie, each with their own set of rules. It looks like it was fun to make, and I think the kid was much less annoying than Edward Furlong. I knew it had bombed at the box office and I'd only ever heard bad things about it, but it's a pretty good Saturday afternoon action flick. I totally forgot that Michael Kamen scored it, as I don't have the album, until he quoted a snippet of Die Hard in the alley. The cameo of Ian McKellen as Death was a nice surprise, long before he became a household name, and anything with Bridgette Wilson is worth watching once.

The Golden Child

Ugh, what a corny movie. I only wanted to see it because I bought the LLL soundtrack set (for Barry's rejected score) on the cheap and I wanted to see the movie for it. I feel like this kind of plot has been done many times before. Eddie Murphy wasn't even that funny in it, but maybe because I'm used to his raunchier style of comedy. I think Victor Wong's part was funnier, and the love interest was certainly good to look at, even if the movie forced Charlotte Lewis and Eddie Murphy into love.

Now you'd think I'd watch Alien3 next, to keep up the trend with movies with Charles Dance, but I didn't. Twice of that in one year is more than enough.

Patton

I've committed a crime against history by going 32 years without seeing this movie, so it's nice to set the record right. It was excellent. I had to pause the movie for a few minutes at the beginning as I determined that, no, Karl Malden is not Richard Herd (Admiral Paris in Star Trek Voyager). They're just damn near identical twins from different bloodlines, so once I realized that, I could continue. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for the Blu, and make sure the Caro D'Este biography rises to the top of my list of books to read, because the movie only starts to crack the surface of how complicated the man was. I wonder how much of the perspective of the German side was invented to show the "villain's" perspective of the titular hero, as opposed to how much actual praise respect Jodl and Steiger had for him that was preserved in the historical record. I expected the cart at the end of the movie to be the one that kills Patton, which is certainly a tense moment; the ending was very appropriate.

The Road Warrior:

387_3_zps230deaf6.jpg

Needs to be remade mainly because of the terribly dated music which doesn't fit the movie at all. And indeed, a reboot (by the same director, BTW) is expected by the year 2015. 6/10

Alex

The score sounds as if was made for a completely different movie altogether. It's as if they ripped it off a Hammer house horror movie from the '50s and placed it over Mad Max 2. It's a very wrong style for the film and gives it an outdated feel. The music constantly takes you out of what you are seeing.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I'd never seen it before. There were three cuts on the Blu-ray so I went with the Director's Cut (the most recent version). I really liked it but fuck was it weird. It's not what I'd expect from a Spielberg film it was something very different but in a good way. I think it'll take a second viewing sometime down the line to fully appreciate it but I can definitely see why it is so highly regarded. JW's score is in complete contrast to Star Wars as well. Almost like the B-Side to Star Wars in some ways. I'll have to listen to it a bit more.

CE3K is an all time classic which I first saw as a kid. The score is in my top 5 of Williams and will never leave. I own the blu-ray as well, I like all 3 cuts but my preferred one is the one where Spielberg felt he made a mistake. I won't spoil it for you but let's just say, where there was nothing before we see much more in the end. :mrgreen:

Certain sequences never fail to make the hairs on my body stand up.

And how about that low frequency rumbling during the first encounter? My subwoofer always moves on its own during that scene... Scary !!

I like all 3 cuts but my preferred one is the one where Spielberg felt he made a mistake.

He did (studio demands notwithstanding)!

I won't spoil it for you but let's just say, where there was nothing before we see much more in the end. :mrgreen:

There was plenty, no more was needed!

CE3K is an all time classic which I first saw as a kid. The score is in my top 5 of Williams and will never leave. I own the blu-ray as well, I like all 3 cuts but my preferred one is the one where Spielberg felt he made a mistake. I won't spoil it for you but let's just say, where there was nothing before we see much more in the end. :mrgreen:

Certain sequences never fail to make the hairs on my body stand up.

And how about that low frequency rumbling during the first encounter? My subwoofer always moves on its own during that scene... Scary !!

Only "top 5"????!!!!!

Get thee to a nunnery!!!!!

I'm happy with any version. I grew-up on the original version and the SE, so I really don't care. The Cotapaxi stuff seems a bit superfluous, and I prefer the original cut the best. The SE should have never have cut from the helicopters, to india.

You know what, The Grey Pilgrim? Whenever I look at your avatar, I see can't help but see...

alan-partridge.jpg

Speaking of which, watched Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa the other day. It is certainly enjoyable and strong, but for whatever reason doesn't suit the character at all. He belongs on television. Films usually make too much effort with turning the characters into some kind of larger than life personas. And that's not exactly what Alan is - he's a twat and completely unsuccessful at anything he does. Still, it's perfectly ok, certainly far from disaster.

Karol

Skyfall (again) - excellent performances, cracking action, emotional depth, superb cinematography, perfectly-pitched humour, non-twattish patriotism, and deeply pleasing 50th anniversary tribute 'nods' ... easily Daniel Craig's best Bond so far, and one of the very finest in the entire series. An absolute joy.

A Liar's Autobiography - amusing animated biopic of Graham Chapman's (as the title suggests) possibly not-entirely-truthful life story. He undoubtedly left us too soon, but having been part of one of comedy's most revolutionary 'teams' is none-too-(Ken)-Shabby a legacy.

Your Highness

Natalie Portman saves this film. It's a testament to her talent that she's able to sell the jokes and make a rather cliched character into someone worth watching. Co-star/co-writer Danny McBride just mugs his way through, and has too many ad-libs that fall flat. (James Franco looks stoned for half of the proceedings.) But whenever Portman is on screen, the film massively improves.

And it's not just the humor that falls flat, but the film tries hard to be a send-up of the 1980s fantasy tropes but embrace them at the same time. The tonal shifts really mar the film, but it does have really good production values and Steve Jablonsky's score is still rather enjoyable.

I don't think you belong here.

Maybe a forum where people are less critical is more suited to you?

That isn't why Steef sighed.

You know what, The Grey Pilgrim? Whenever I look at your avatar, I see can't help but see...

alan-partridge.jpg

Speaking of which, watched Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa the other day. It is certainly enjoyable and strong, but for whatever reason doesn't suit the character at all. He belongs on television. Films usually make too much effort with turning the characters into some kind of larger than life personas. And that's not exactly what Alan is - he's a twat and completely unsuccessful at anything he does. Still, it's perfectly ok, certainly far from disaster.

Karol

I disagree. I enjoyed the movie so much I bought the blu the other day. Can't wait for Alan Partridge 2.

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Easily my least watched Anderson film after Bottle Rocket, but it's always a great pleasure to return to. It's been years since I last watched it, and the Criterion blu is a fantastic way to revisit. I forgot how much of a character driven film it is. Murray steals the spotlight in every scene.

I didn't mind it but wouldn't say there was enough about it for me to ever think of it as being "fantastic". A curiously enjoyable nothing movie, I'd say. I've pretty much forgotten its contents.

The Trial: I am not a fan of this Orson Welles movie so I decided to give it another spin. Who knows, maybe this time I would like it. Sometimes the best movies take a while for the viewer to appreciate. However, all my hopes were in vain. I gave up after 30 minutes. I really have a problem with the Kafkaesque, purposefully and constantly 'beating around the bush' dialog and, to a lesser degree, the dubbing. I'm not fascinated by the film. It simply works on my nerves.

TheTrialDVDCover_zps634c6595.jpg

In some way, this movie could be about the retribution of Norman Bates.

Alex

After spending so much time listening to the music and pouring over the conductor's score, I decided I needed to re-watch The Matrix. It's been at least four years since I've seen it in its entirety. It's obviously not groundbreaking to point out that it's a fantastic piece of cinema, dripping with atmosphere that is by turns badassly fun and nightmarishly horrific. It's easy to scoff at some story and stylistic elements that have since 1999 become cliched/hackneyed, but approaching it from as fresh a perspective as possible is worthwhile, remembering that many contemporarily omnipresent tropes in fact originated with this film. Though the not-so-subtle 90s "rage against the machine" counterculture attitude hasn't aged well, at least in my mind.

The whole concept is of course refreshingly original, if ultimately not much deeper than the content of a pot-fueled conversation about philosophy in a typical university dorm room. The design aesthetic is rough and "lived in" which everyone loves now. And the music... bloody hell, the music. I found myself grinning like a lunatic during some of the most inappropriate moments (Unable To Speak, anyone?), to the brief confusion of my wife, due to the utter brilliance of Davis' score. That this sort of music was written for any film, and a massively successful one at that, is endlessly pleasing.

Will I revisit the sequels? Maybe. At least there's no decline in quality for any non-story elements.

In 1999 it was.

Now you'll quote the usual litany of previous movies with similar premises, yada yada yada. You know what I meant, stop nitpicking for the sake of argument!