What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

My dawg Armond's review.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/382460/movies-time-forgot-armond-white

Matt Reeves turns Dawn into TV (and not hokey-effective TV like 1974’s episodic Apes series). Reeves, a TV hack who perpetrated the found-footage monster goof Cloverfield, lacks cinematic chops. There isn’t a single interesting image in Dawn’s two-hours-plus running time. Best is a 360-degree panning shot from the top of an armored tank during the apes’ assault on barricaded humans, yet its trajectory and panorama have no payoff. This visual ineptitude (derived from TV production habits that are allowed to continue by audiences’ TV viewing habits) lacks the storytelling craft that made Rupert Wyatt’s 2010 film so worthy: It connected modern audiences to a nifty cultural touchstone.

X-Files: I Want To Believe

While the first X-Files film was done at the height of the shows popularity this one was done a few years after it ended. Unlike "Fight The Future" this isnt an epic barnstormer with explosions, government conspiracies, huge alien space crafts and the fate of the world seemingly hanging in the balance.

It's a far more intimate, and actually interesting story that doesnt so much depends on big effects or vista's but mood and character.

Christ Carter directed this one, and does o with a very nice visual panache. X-Files always was a spiritual brother of the 1970's post Watergate, government conspiracy thrillers of the 70's, and I Want To Believe has a real 70's vibe in how it was shot. Even though it really doesnt deal with that kinda subject matter this time. The other inspiration for this film might be Silence Of The Lambs.

Duchovny and Anderson return to their signature roles, a few years older, but looking mostly the same (actually Gillian Anderson looks as good or better then she has ever looked, truly a stunning beauty to behold).

The films doesn't go into details regarding their connection, or what drives these characters to keep pursuing these cases. But even as only a casual watcher of the show, I got the gist. The dynamic between the two actors told me all I needed to know.

The other pivotal role is played by Billy Connely as Father Joe. A pedophile Catholic priest who might be a psychic, searching for forgiveness and redemption, or might just be trying to con the FBI. Connely does a good job in making a loathsome man possibly sympathetic, while ensuring that you are never sure about him.

While this film succeeds on a character and mood level, it isnt perfect in it's execution of the plot. Possible because this film was made during the writers strike. The script feels like it needed some polishing. In the final act several things happen simply because they need to happen to advance the story. For instance a subplot of the film deals with Scully doing a series of operations on a sick kid. It just happens to be that her research for these procedures gives her a vital clue to the actual case that they are working in this film, and right at the nick of time too. It's too obvious

The scenes in the house, Russian doctors doing creepy operations is well shot, but it's a bit hard to piece together what exactly is going on. A bit more exposition, even after the fact might have helped.

Despite these flaws this is a strong thriller. With excellent, dark cinematography, a moody Mark Snow score and two very warm, personable leads.

The film sadly flopped because it came out at the same time as The Dark Knight, and everyone going for a bit of dark cinema went to see the bat instead.

It's a pity because I would welcome a third film.

*** out of ****

Well said. I haven't seen that since it came out, but I'm certainly in a bit of an X-Files mood after that review and the news about the La-La Land release. Maybe I'll watch a bit.

I just saw Her (2013) and secretly I hoped it would be special. However, while the idea was interesting (A.I. as a replacement for real relationships, soulmate, life partner), most of the film's playtime turned out to be a variation on the 'Before Sunrise' series. 6/10

ZZ0FA5343E_zps4d3fad21.jpg

Well, read my post. It's too much of a Before Sunrise for me. Most of the time, it's looking at two 'people' finding each other. IMO, there's very little interesting about that. The relationships in the love stories of Woody Allen (Manhattan, Annie Hall) are way more problematic and less sweet. In the beginning of the movie, I was 'in it', but after a while the film started to lose me.

End Of Watch (2012): Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena have great chemistry together in this very watchable buddy cops movie shot entirely in documentary style. But in the end, the cops are too much portrayed as ultimate heroes while the baddies are way too super evil. 7/10

120910TorontoEndofWatch_6645370_zpsb4bb4

end-of-watch-2-to-1-image_zpse8da3869.jp

Alex

It was extremely well regarded when it was released.

The scenes in the house, Russian doctors doing creepy operations is well shot, but it's a bit hard to piece together what exactly is going on.

Not sure you did that on purpose, but given what is happening in the scene this is quite funny.

It was extremely well regarded when it was released.

End Of Watch? I admit, that's why I watched it. Well, that and Gyllenhaal, who I like more and more these days (I became something of a fan ever since Prisoners). Not sure why it received such high praise, but like I said, I guess the vibe between Gyllenhaal and Pena had a lot to do with it.

Alex

That's why I was disappointed in it. I remember the praise and awards buzz so decided to place my trust in the good word of mouth but found only predicable and even corny shakycam melodrama.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I love all Harry Potter movies by the way. :)

That's why I was disappointed in it. I remember the praise and awards buzz so decided to place my trust in the good word of mouth but found only predicable and even corny shakyplrcam melodrama.

True.

I just saw Her (2013) and secretly I hoped it would be special. However, while the idea was interesting (A.I. as a replacement for real relationships, soulmate, life partner), most of the film's playtime turned out to be a variation on the 'Before Sunrise' series. 6/10

Agreed entirely. Smug, mumblecore rubbish. Easily Spike Jonze's worst film to date.

Dallas Buyers Club: Oscar baiting corniness with its actors too much showcasing. A typical biopic that couldn't keep my attention. 4/10

dallas_buyers_club_ver2_zps5ec6dc5b.jpg

Alex

While the first X-Files film was done at the height of the shows popularity this one was done a few years after it ended. Unlike "Fight The Future" this isnt an epic barnstormer with explosions, government conspiracies, huge alien space crafts and the fate of the world seemingly hanging in the balance.

It's a far more intimate, and actually interesting story that doesnt so much depends on big effects or vista's but mood and character.

Christ Carter directed this one, and does o with a very nice visual panache. X-Files always was a spiritual brother of the 1970's post Watergate, government conspiracy thrillers of the 70's, and I Want To Believe has a real 70's vibe in how it was shot. Even though it really doesnt deal with that kinda subject matter this time. The other inspiration for this film might be Silence Of The Lambs.

Duchovny and Anderson return to their signature roles, a few years older, but looking mostly the same (actually Gillian Anderson looks as good or better then she has ever looked, truly a stunning beauty to behold).

The films doesn't go into details regarding their connection, or what drives these characters to keep pursuing these cases. But even as only a casual watcher of the show, I got the gist. The dynamic between the two actors told me all I needed to know.

The other pivotal role is played by Billy Connely as Father Joe. A pedophile Catholic priest who might be a psychic, searching for forgiveness and redemption, or might just be trying to con the FBI. Connely does a good job in making a loathsome man possibly sympathetic, while ensuring that you are never sure about him.

While this film succeeds on a character and mood level, it isnt perfect in it's execution of the plot. Possible because this film was made during the writers strike. The script feels like it needed some polishing. In the final act several things happen simply because they need to happen to advance the story. For instance a subplot of the film deals with Scully doing a series of operations on a sick kid. It just happens to be that her research for these procedures gives her a vital clue to the actual case that they are working in this film, and right at the nick of time too. It's too obvious

The scenes in the house, Russian doctors doing creepy operations is well shot, but it's a bit hard to piece together what exactly is going on. A bit more exposition, even after the fact might have helped.

Despite these flaws this is a strong thriller. With excellent, dark cinematography, a moody Mark Snow score and two very warm, personable leads.

The film sadly flopped because it came out at the same time as The Dark Knight, and everyone going for a bit of dark cinema went to see the bat instead.

It's a pity because I would welcome a third film.

*** out of ****

I'm now watching the entire series on netflix for the first time in my life. Fantastic show and Season 6 (where I'm at) is the strongest yet. So by the time I finish the series I'll have to watch this one. It came out way too late, when the X-files hype had long died down. But for people like me this came at the right time I guess.

Is either X-Files movie on Netflix? Last time I checked, they weren't, so when we reach that point in the show, I'll need to rent the first movie, which I've seen several times but never in sequence with the show for context.

Fantastic show and Season 6 (where I'm at) is the strongest yet.

You think so? Seasons 4 and 5 were the strongest in my opinion, with the Fight the Future being a terrific film in its own right, but arguably the best X-Files product ever produced . Season 6 is good, but you could see things changing (especially the look, since they moved production to LA). They should have ended the series with that season. While I like parts of 7, and 8 was a strange comeback in a way, 9 was terrible.

I did like I Want To Believe quite a bit. They could have marketed it better, but most certainly should have released it at a different time of the year.

Gillian Anderson has been looking better ever since she finished the show. She is quite breathtaking in I Want to Believe, the long hair suits her better than that painfully dated '90s bob. BTW, Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz didn't have time to really fine tune the script because, as you said, they finished the script right before the strike happened. The dialogue could've used a polish and a minor re-write.

I do think casting Amanda Peet and Xzibit's casting as FBI agents felt like Carter's concession to Fox saying, "Okay, you can cast the bit players from the TV show but we need a familiar American face or two with David and Gillian!" They weren't bad, it's just they weren't given that much to do.

Nebraska: Nice character-based little movie from Alexander Payne ... but nothing more than that. Oh ... and Stacy Keach rules! 7/10

Nebraska-Movie-Poster_zps0bc66b98.jpg

Alex

I liked her performance the least, Koray. I felt that her character was too extreme. Too much 'designed' to have an effect on the audience. I did like the ex-girlfriend of Bruce Dern.

Angels & Demons

A potboiler of a film with a plot so convoluted and unlikely that it might as well have been a Bond film.

Tom Hanks returns, this time with better hair, to stop the Illuminati from killing a bunch of Cardinals and destroying the Vatican with a anti-matter device stolen from CERN (pure sci-fi) as a supposed revenge of centuries of persecution by the Catholic Church.

Naturally instead of just detonating the anti-matter device, the evil-doers go though a series of highly ritualized killings which involves clue after clue after clue, brilliantly solved by Tom Hanks.

The plot is preposterous, even moreso then The Davinci Code, and that actually makes this a better film.

The Davinci Code was bogged down by scene after scene of faux theological debates and pseudo history, which made the movie that Tom Hanks described as a "scavenger hunt" seemed ponderous, slow, taking itself and it's subject matter far too seriously (Ian McKellen was the most effective actor in that film, because he hammed it up).

Angels & Demons starts out very fast paced and remains quite relentless throughout it's running time. With scene after scene of people running, making it up as they go, and keeping the religious diatribe to a fair minimum.

Ron Howard does a good job in convincing us they let him film in Vatican City, filled with the usual iconography, mostly lit in darkness, because this is a thriller after all.

Zimmer score follows suit by being relentless, loud, seemingly pregnant of significance, but really much ado about nothing. This is actually the kinda score Zimmer does rather well. Ostinato's galore, screaming choirs. Lot's of dramatic bassy notes. It certainly helps set both the pace and tone.

The film is utterly ridiculous, scientifically and religiously inaccurate (take half an hour from your schedule and read though the "goofs" section and IMDB" but damn if it's isnt all very fun and exiting!

At 144 minutes it does overstay it's welcome a bit though.

*** out of ****

It's similar to a typical Jerry score in that it's a better listening experience on its own, and deserves a far better film to go along with. But I don't mind the movie, it's an entertaining romp.

Escape from the Planet of the Apes Saturday night, not bad, not good but amongst it all was Ricardo Montalban. Personally, he should've been in the whole film though the end with the deaths of Cornelius and Zira. Plus the soundtrack, at least towards the end with the sounds of the original film.

Then Grand Prix yesterday, as the announcer said it turned into a tribute airing to Garner despite being lined up before the F1 race that afternoon last week. Either way it looked and sounded good. Garner was on form here even if he sometimes is relegated behind Montrand and Bedford's parts. And there is Jessica Walter looking quite staggering which leads us into but similarly to Play Misty for Me. Poor damn Clint.

tumblr_ltawbrTFEW1qjuniuo1_500.jpg

It's a spiritual successor to Garden State in tone. Zach Braff plays a struggling actor whose father's cancer returns and he therefore can no longer afford to keep his grandchildren in school. Kate Hudson is his wife who is trying to support the family, and Josh Gad is his estranged brother who is still grieving over the death of their mother. He's essentially trying to juggle his failed dreams, his dying father, his distant wife, his indifferent brother, and the existence of spirituality and a higher power.

Didn't expect to be tearing up for nearly the whole damn movie, it's almost too heavy-handed in that regard, but it's a beautifully told story with some great performances (especially from the kids). Whole bunch of Scrubs cameos too. It's having a terrible opening weekend, which is a shame.

Ask Braff. The reason why he went to Kickstarter for this was that he "could cast the film the way I wanted", without studio interference. Maybe Braff had this romantic version he saw when she did Almost Famous.

The Dutch Netflix has I Want To Believe, but not Fight The Future. The US Netflix has neither.

I can switch to the dutch netflix with the hola plugin... Awesome ! But you don't seem to have the series, just the one film.

But you realize she's a bad actress who's almost exclusively in horrible movies, right?