What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

WB has been lacking when it comes to Blu releases of some of their classics. I'm still waiting for Captain Blood and Sea Hawk.

I don't know why they can't simply do an exclusive Blu-ray box set of Errol Flynn's best films. That way they can gauge which one is more popular and do separate releases later on.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

While I was watching this rightly regarded classic I couldn't help feeling the film could've use some trimming. The scope is big, it's expertly shot and directed, the actors are great but what's with all the filler in between the moments of brilliance. They couldn't hold my attention, I almost fell asleep a couple of times. The music is of course the stuff of legend: Morricone singlehandedly kept me awake during the filler sequences.

I keep hearing how entertaining this film is... It would have been if it was an hour shorter.

It reminds me of Lawrence of Arabia... which was even longer and more dull.

All this in my humble opinion of course. :)

I'm still wondering why did they even bother putting human characters in Godzilla in the first place. The character played by Sally Hawkins, an actress I love, is just a blatant example of how unecessary and irrelevant to the plot all them are

Hey dutch :D, you're entitled to your opinion, but in all honesty MoS was the biggest letdown I've seen in recent times. The trailers led me to believe it was going to be awful and I was right.

To remake Donner's film with a lame ass score and no heart or humour whatsoever was Hollywood's biggest mistake.

and no heart or humour whatsoever was Hollywood's biggest mistake.

Have you missed the "I think he's kinda sexy, sir" line?

After about 45 minutes I missed just about anything, I wanted that shit to be over. I don't think I have ever been angrier at a film or its makers. MoS is craptacular !!!!! :pukeface:

West-Side Story

Great, gorgeous movie. Love the music, the story's themes and its unashamed adaptation of Romeo & Juliet. The Blu-Ray looks great, but I had the good fortune to first experience this movie from a pristine 70mm print a few years back. Watching it at home wasn't the same, but it's still a very good (and good-looking) movie. I like.

To remake Donner's film with a lame ass score and no heart or humour whatsoever was Hollywood's biggest mistake.

I hadn't realised it was a remake of Donner's film.

Well, it starts on Krypton, shows his youth in Smallville, then he travels, goes to Antarctica, meets the hologram of his father who gives him a suit, becomes Superman, ends up in Metropolis... and fights Zod. Does it not sound relatively familiar to you?

You'd say that was part of original story? Not so, Superman first appeared 1938, Fortress of Solitude somewhere in late 40's and General Zod didn't show up till 1961. Names of Clark's Smallville parents varied for many years, too. All those elements could be juggled or not appear at all. Not to mention the fact there are so many different version of Krypton and how it was either a planet full of loving people aletrnating with determinist society like we see in the movies. Just depends on the Era the comics were created in. So yeah, Man of Steel is ultimately following Richard Donner.

Karol

Many of the aspects of the Superman mythos are touched upon both Superman The Movie and MOS.

And even though aspects varied over the years, many of them have become too familiar and accepted to discard.

Clarks parents have had those names for decades now, why would they need to be changed? Everyone knows about Smallville, why should you give it a different name?

I agree that MoS is in part burdened by the fact that it's basically telling the same story as Donners film. But that trule is because it has become the accepted origin story of this character over the last few decades. There are variations, sure, but arent those seem as just that, variations?

Well they tried to make it a bit different with the flashback structure, which was quite redundant.

But I dont see this as a remake, rather a different telling of the same story. Like the multiple version of Ben Hur, or every bible movie ever made.

I do agree that could have gone in a different direction with some parts. Not featuring Zod for instance.

Yeah, Luthor is more effective as a backseat kind of character. The kind of person Superman has an ambivalent relationship with. In the silver age comic books Luthor often helped Superman but had his own business in doing so. At one point he became a president of United States and that played well with Superman being a symbol of America in a way. He's more interesting as a manipulator, rather than a major villain in a world-threatening situation. It often comes out stupid.

Karol

Delta offered X-Men Days of Future Past on my red-eye so I opted to watch it instead of sleep. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never listened to its soundtrack so I was quite surprised to hear Ottman reprise his X2 theme. I don't remember hearing it again until the end credits, though.

It does appear a couple of times, but, yeah, mostly it's just those two instances. I like when he merges the theme with the new Xavier theme in end credits version. I'm sure the next score will be more traditional, as the canvas expand drastically and it takes part in the 80's. I hope.

Karol

Passion (2012)

I can't believe this film gets such bad reviews from Netflixers. It's mostly 1 or 2 stars. This gets a 4 from me, easily. As with most De Palma's I've seen, I was once again taken on that audiovisual journey he carefully knows to craft. Music is always a constant in his films and I love the fact it's not in the background here (composed by Pino Donaggio). It sets the tone, it surprises, it shifts as the scene changes, it definitely improved my viewing. I can't compare with Crime d'Amour, and maybe if I saw that I wouldn't rate Passion so highly, I honestly don't know. But here I was properly entranced from start to end. The way the director shoots, cuts abruptly, the atmosphere he creates, the use of split-screen, the close-ups, the music, not to forget the lead actresses all doing a good job, it's the stuff I adore.

From the descriptions I've read, it sounds like I should like it. Sadly I don't think it ever got a theatrical release here. And the German Blu-ray release seems substandard, so I'll have to get some other version.