What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Yesterday evening I was thinking of watching Gallipoli (1981) that I have never seen.

I didn't see it eventually but I learned that today it's exactly 100 years from the first day of Gallipoli battle!

So, I'm gonna watch it tonight..

(yes, i know this is not the "what is the film you're going to watch tonight" thread) :P

By the way, i was just browsing the movie and heard an electronic music cue that it's so familiar to me from the 80s..

I searched for composer on the film but i don't see any credit.

Did the film had a collection-score with various cues from various composers? (apart from the Albinoni one)

edit: Oh, I guess it was the Oxygene by Jean Michelle Jarre.

And I was almost sure that it was this composer!

Just finished Gallipoli.

Can't say I liked it much.

I liked it as production values are concerned but the story/script...

Also, what was the director thinking using the electronic music?

Sometimes I wonder about directors using totally unfitting music.

It was the 80's. That kind of music was popular.

Vangelis for Chariots Of Fire for instance

Hmmm.. I can't say that the score at Chariots of fire bugged me so much as in Gallipoli.

Twister - The tornado sequences are still gripping and entertaining, but the supporting cast is still so annoying. We don't need Jami Gertz's annoying fiance, Cary Elwes' rival stormchaser or Philip Seymour Hoffmann's Dusty. Helen Hunt, Bill Paxton and the tornadoes themselves are all we need.

Where Eagles Dare - the first time I'd seen it, believe it or not. 2 hours 35 minutes is a 'bum-number' of a running time for what is essentially a Boys' Own 'ripping yarn' adventure thing and believability is undoubtedly stretched at times, but undeniably entertaining.

But Vangelis' score actually 'fitted' the film. In fact, the main theme has become synonymous with the Olympic Games.

Or do you think filmmusic will say "Chariots Of Fire could've been a great movie if they didn't hire Vangelis?"

Yes, synths were hot in the late '70s and early '80s: Chariots Of Fire, Witness, The Mosquito Coast, The Bounty, Blade Runner, The Hitcher, Missing, Sorcerer, ...

And one day synths will be hot again!!!

Alex

But Vangelis' score actually 'fitted' the film. In fact, the main theme has become synonymous with the Olympic Games.

Or do you think filmmusic will say "Chariots Of Fire could've been a great movie if they didn't hire Vangelis?"

Yes, synths were hot in the late '70s and early '80s: Chariots Of Fire, Witness, The Mosquito Coast, The Bounty, Blade Runner, The Hitcher, Missing, Sorcerer, ...

And one day synths will be hot again!!!

Alex

Again, I didn't find them intrusive in Witness and Mosquito Coast but in Gallipoli, it stood out like a sore thumb!

Airplane! Haven't actually sat and watched this one for a while. It's still as laugh-out-loud funny as it ever was. Dated only in its look, which only serves to give it that much more late-70s disaster-movie charm, and that's a good thing.

Forbidden Planet is on later!

Does it get any better?

Not much! I was thinking about this last night while watching Airplane!, reminiscing on how Nielsen was only known for his dramatic roles early in his career. Hard to believe that the young captain of the C57-D would go on to be the best and goofiest straight-man in the Abrahams-Zucker arsenal in the years to come.

Airplane! is one of my absolute favorite films of all time, but it's sadly dated in far more than its look. It's left far in the dust by FAA beaucracy and safety regulations. Ted Striker would have spent so long in preboard screeners, he wouldn't have been on the plane when everyone dies. Not to mention nobody would have been able to bring the gasoline, hangman's noose, pistol, baseball bat, and guitar aboard. But I think if pilots were allowed to get BJs from willing stewardesses and smoke afterwards, they would be less depressed and want to crash the plane.

Airplane! is one of my absolute favorite films of all time, but it's sadly dated in far more than its look. It's left far in the dust by FAA beaucracy and safety regulations. Ted Striker would have spent so long in preboard screeners, he wouldn't have been on the plane when everyone dies. Not to mention nobody would have been able to bring the gasoline, hangman's noose, pistol, baseball bat, and guitar aboard. But I think if pilots were allowed to get BJs from willing stewardesses and smoke afterwards, they would be less depressed and want to crash the plane.

Fortunately, they still allow pilots to assault religious solicitors in the terminals, passengers to take smoking tickets onto a plane, and people to hang upside down from the ceiling of a plane.

Airplane 1 and 2 are being taken off Netflix next weekend.

Well between Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Harrison Ford, which celebrity is better at landing a plane?

The sequel was just as funny as the original (even though it basically repeated the same story). It's use of Stu Phillips' Battlestar Galactica theme was one of the best things about it.

Ewoks: The Battle for Endor

Pretty sure this is my favorite Star Wars movie. It's got an army of monsters, a dragon, Teek, cool spaceships, 75% of the human characters including the male lead from the previous movie murdered in the first 10 minutes, the Ewok Village being burned, guys falling off a mountain, a nightmare sequence, a witch with a magic ring, a lengthy castle scene, an awesome end battle that's actually better than the land battle in Return of the Jedi and a guy being burned to a crisp like Antoine in the 1989 Batman.

The sequel was just as funny as the original (even though it basically repeated the same story). It's use of Stu Phillips' Battlestar Galactica theme was one of the best things about it.

My favorite part was when we think Shatner is on the viewscreen, but he steps forward through a split door.

Oh dear...

At least he's not embarrassed about it.

Maybe this is a perfect time for other forum members to come clean about The Battle For Endor?

Alex

At first it reminded me of Gattaca, then it became all Nolan (Inception). Very story-ish and plot twist depending. Nice colors though. TGP and crocs should check it out!

The script could have been executed better by another director, yea.

But man, Sarah Snook was EXCELLENT!

I've never seen the Ewok movies, and if I did, I've forgotten then. It will stay that way.

They both came when I was 4/5 and were on from time to time shortly after their original TV broadcasts, from what I remember, then I never saw them again. I don't remember much about it, except for this thing.

NB3.jpg