What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It actually works very well because Dr. Manhattan 's strange behavior during the whole thing. Humanities weapon gone wrong, and all of mankind banding together to ensure nothing like this can ever happen again .

Yeah, after they attack America in retribution.

Comic book was better thiught oit in this respect.

Karol

I had never heard of the comic book, the movie had me scratching me head first time, not quite getting what I had been watching... That was the TC btw.

After a few more viewings I now own the DC and it's an excellent film, style and substance in equal measure. Snyder's visual gimmickry works wonders for the storyline.

Can I also add that this film has the most badass sound mix I've ever heard in a film. Home Theater buffs: this is your demo disc. :)

The original ending presented the world with a trully external threat, one that could not be atributable, in way, to any nation. It is also the sort of thing that The Comedian would refer to as "big joke" when seeing from the airplane (that led to his murder). It's just something that is so WTF, so "out there", that I don't any conspiracy theories could arise from it, quite unlike the movie ending, that would cause a lot of suspiction among the public and eventually lead, as others have said, to some degree of finger pointing towards the USA.

And besides, the image of the giant alien thing is a really bold one. Not using it is cinematic waste

And besides, the image of the giant alien thing is a really bold one. Not using it is cinematic waste

To you and Drax perhaps, but I thank Snyder for not putting giant monsters in the movie. They better reserve it for a Godzilla film or something.

BTW, "bold"? Really?

It is a terrific image, it actually makes more sense and it would be absolutely much more daring and striking than what we got

What we got (sacrificing a large part of humanity and anyone else who doesn't agree with the genocide plan) is more daring than a godzilla monster.

It actually works very well because Dr. Manhattan 's strange behavior during the whole thing. Humanities weapon gone wrong, and all of mankind banding together to ensure nothing like this can ever happen again .

Yeah, after they attack America in retribution.

Comic book was better thiught oit in this respect.

Karol

Yeah, like I said, it wasn't an entirely convincing resolution. I didn't buy it that destroying those cities and pinning the blame on Dr. Manhattan was the best way peace could be achieved. Wouldn't the world after be a dark one of paranoia and lack of faith in government for entrusting such an agent with so much power over world affairs. And wouldn't the image of the States be irrevocably damaged in the world's eyes for recklessly encouraging and fostering Dr. Manhattan with so much as its main line of defence? It didn't necessarily add up.

But again, I didn't really mind. The original ending does sound interesting though, if executed properly.

I don't think so. I saw what was on Netflix. The director's cut is over 3 hours right?

Buy the Director's Cut on Blu-ray!

I will! So what else does the DC expand on, aside from the Mars stuff?

I will! So what else does the DC expand on, aside from the Mars stuff?

I forgot his name, it's an interesting character, and we get to see a little bit more of him ( a strangely dramatic yet beautiful scene). Maybe Steef knows ...

We need to be realistic. Studios won't allow for another Watchmen to exist. Besides coherence, MOS made a lot more money than Watchmen.

Well probably because they were dealing with a far more popular superhero.

Visually at least, BvS seems to be leaning closer to Watchmen. But you're right. Studios will probably want a more accessible, mainstream entertainer.

The original ending presented the world with a trully external threat, one that could not be atributable, in way, to any nation. It is also the sort of thing that The Comedian would refer to as "big joke" when seeing from the airplane (that led to his murder). It's just something that is so WTF, so "out there", that I don't any conspiracy theories could arise from it, quite unlike the movie ending, that would cause a lot of suspiction among the public and eventually lead, as others have said, to some degree of finger pointing towards the USA.

Also, what I don't get is why did filmmakers decide to suddenly destroy so many cities.

In the comic book, it was just a section of New York. And it wasn't even blown away or anything like that.

The genius of Adrian's plan, and the reason other heroes decide to support him, is that he turned this tragedy into a positive emotion. It wasn't that all the countries united in fear. It was out of compassion. And that was really horrible and cool, both at the same time.

Besides, you know some of the people who died in this tragedy. They weren't necessarily likeable but their small life stories were happening at the margins, just next to the major story. In those seemingly insignificant small panels, Moore and Gibbons created fully rounded characters. And that's made their demise so horrific.

The film not only does sacrifice logic but it also shows us yet another explosion. I mean, what kind of audience is impressed/moved by explosions? It's just another one.

Karol

Ive only seen the TE once.

Me too - and I've never seen the DC at all!

The only time I saw the film was opening day in the theaters. I own the Ultimate Cut on Blu Ray but haven't watched it yet. Can't wait to! Great film.

One I didn't get was how the explosion showed New York being destroyed, but you still see the Empire State Building still standing at the very end.

I also thought the destruction of so many cities was excessive. You only really need a 9/11 type incident in terms of scale to achieve the results Adrian intended.

But this moment of excess was self-contained within the finale. Otherwise, I feel the film rarely veers towards the gratuitous side aside from stylistic necessity.

Watchmen? Great film? Ha!

Yea yea, you hate all of Snyder's films, blah blah blah

What didn't you like about it Koray?

I'm curious to know what turns people off to this film so much. Would the comic fans like it more if they had never read the comics?

People criticize it for sticking far too close to the comic, yet at the same time hate the ending, which was different....

These are the same people who hate V For Vendetta, From Hell, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen for taking too many liberties with Moore's comics.

I really don't get them

I don't hate Watchmen at all. It's certainly an admirable attempt and bold type of blockbuster. But it makes really dumb decisions for no reason whatsoever. It's not like it needs to. For that reason, it remains a failure. It's Alan Moore's script as understood by 16-year old.

Karol

The thing about the movie is that it is really unecessary. Doesn't add anything to the work nor does anything better than the book did. The visualization of the sequences is in no way more enticing that in the Graphic Novel (if anything, Snyder made the heroes look too cool, they were supposed to look ridiculous).

Some cinematic adaptations of literary can co exist with their source material as related, independent and yet complementary artistic works. In this case, I don't think the movies adds absolutely anything worthwhile

People criticize it for sticking far too close to the comic, yet at the same time hate the ending, which was different....

These are the same people who hate V For Vendetta, From Hell, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen for taking too many liberties with Moore's comics.

I really don't get them

Those 3 movies are horrendous, they are abysmal adaptations

But you're right. Studios will probably want a more accessible, mainstream entertainer.

I never forget the first scene when I first saw it, which was also the TC, BTW. I remember thinking, wow, this movie is clearly about the imagery, it's cinematographically driven. Yes!

Watchmen is actually a very, very expensive art movie mixed with Hollywood mainstream (and paid for with Hollywood money). It's something that slipped through the net while the studios weren't watching. It will probably take another 30 years before we will see another movie like this.

Alex

For that reason, it remains a failure. It's Alan Moore's script as understood by 16-year old.

Karol

That's how I've always felt about V for Vendetta, and I haven't even read the comics. A juvenile film indeed.

Watchmen on the other hand, definitely stands on its own legs and delivers the concept with generally consistent wit and intelligence.

The thing about the movie is that it is really unecessary. Doesn't add anything to the work nor does anything better than the book did. The visualization of the sequences is in no way more enticing that in the Graphic Novel (if anything, Snyder made the heroes look too cool, they were supposed to look ridiculous).

Some cinematic adaptations of literary can co exist with their source material as related, independent and yet complementary artistic works. In this case, I don't think the movies adds absolutely anything worthwhile

What about those who aren't familiar with the source material? I don't know how closely the film adheres to the source in terms of style and content, but what it brings to the genre in the film medium is unique enough to merit its making.

The Graphic Novel is structured in such a way that it only really works in the written page. You have to read it to know what I mean. The order of the chapters, the prose chapter endings, the title of each chapter...the structure of this work is just staggering. By adhering to it on such a superficial level (A goes to B and then C happens), Snyder is being faithful to the book on all wrong levels. The movie suffers, as paradoxal as it sounds, by being not faithful enough to the book while being too faithful to the book

It's visual esthetics put me off it.

After seeing the movie, I expected amazing drawings/graphics, so I didn't believe it when I saw a page or 2 on the internet. I thought it was fan made.

I wouldn't have read it anyway.

Then stick with the vastly inferior version then, it's really your loss. Alan Moore, unlike Snyder, was never about the pretty pictures

After seeing the movie, I expected amazing drawings/graphics, so I didn't believe it when I saw a page or 2 on the internet. I thought it was fan made.

Yes, it looks poor. The colors are dreadfull.

For that reason, it remains a failure. It's Alan Moore's script as understood by 16-year old.

Karol

That's how I've always felt about V for Vendetta, and I haven't even read the comics. A juvenile film indeed.

In the comic book, V is an anarchist, not a freedom fighter. And the fascist characters are also explored as normal people. The book was about the clash of two extreme worldviews, it's not about fighting the evil. There's no global moral awakening of society, there are riots. There is no celebration of freed, it just descends into chaos. V dies, as he does in the film, but Evey takes his place. And his last words are: “This country is not saved . . . do not think that . . . but all its old beliefs have come to rubble, and from rubble we may build. That is their task, to rule themselves; their lives and loves and land . . . with this achieved, then let them talk of salvation. Without it, they are surely carrion.”

Surely, this is very different to the simplistic big screen version?

Karol

It's some of the most creative works done in this medium. Almost unparalled.

You two have very childish undestanding of graphics and artwork.

Karol

But, those who never read the comic, they seem to "get" the film.

So what does that tell you?

I just feel Moore's fans, like himself, can never be satisfied.

I'm just saying there is much, much more to get in the Graphic Novel than in the film. It is tremendously nuanced and layered work

Then stick with the vastly inferior version then, it's really your loss. Alan Moore, unlike Snyder, was never about the pretty pictures

But thats what film is. Its a visual medium

Film is a visual, literary, sound, etc medium

Visuals alone account for very little

Film should be about images.

I'm sorry, I simply cannot agree with that. Images are only part of the equation. A big part, yes, but sill a part

Karol

Karol, could you please refrain from personal attacks. If not I will have to complain to Jason about it.

I am not childish because I have a different sensibility then you.

Karol

In the comic book, V is an anarchist, not a freedom fighter. And the fascist characters are also explored as normal people. The book was about the clash of two extreme worldviews, it's not about fighting the evil. There's no global moral awakening of society, there are riots. There is no celebration of freed, it just descends into chaos. V dies, as he does in the film, but Evey takes his place. And his last words are: “This country is not saved . . . do not think that . . . but all its old beliefs have come to rubble, and from rubble we may build. That is their task, to rule themselves; their lives and loves and land . . . with this achieved, then let them talk of salvation. Without it, they are surely carrion.”

Surely, this is very different to the simplistic big screen version?

Karol

Yes. I could tell from the film itself that it was an oversimplification of the source material, reducing to just the usual mundane "good vs. evil". It was made for teenagers who want something to fun to watch I guess.

I don't think Watchmen does that. And though it may simplify the content it is based off of, it still succeeds as a product of its own far more than V for Vendetta ever did.

I need to check the comics out.

With that I agree. V for Vendetta is just unforgivable. And it gives teenagers a false sense of political conscience

I don't think Watchmen is a bad movie, not all (unlike the other Moore adaptations, which are all horrendous). I just don't think there's anything there for someone who has read the Graphic Novel. The work is very intimate and restrained. And the most visually striking sequence of the whole work, the one that might actually justifiy a big screen adaptation, they cut out of the movie

Karol

Karol, could you please refrain from personal attacks. If not I will have to complain to Jason about it.

I am not childish because I have a different sensibility then you.

Oh please. You're asking for it by reducing comics to "pretty pictures". It's a storytelling medium, just like literature, films and even radio. It has its own rules and artistic aspitations.

There's a terrific book/comics about comic as a medium.

81VZc-YIAiL.jpg

I know you won't read it anyway. But if you want something good about comic as art, there it is. Highly recommended!

Karol

Where did I ever say that?

If I personally find the style off putting, it doesn't make my childish.

If anything Watchmen reminds me of the low rent superhero comics of my youth.

I was more into the European stuff. Asterix, Tintin, the works of Peyo or Willy Vandersteen.