What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

What's recycled? They're bringing back a franchise which has been dead and buried for 30 years.

And maybe best left there...that is, if you don't have a new story to tell.

Guardians Of The Galaxy

James Gunn gets a lot right. The 5 main characters are all excellent, and the galaxy he puts them in looks and feeels vibrant and diverse. The style of a lot of the movie is just right. A self aware Firefly feels with good songs. It's a really entertaining film.

But....

Look at the cast list apart from the leads. Del Toro, Glenn Close, John C. Reilly, Djimon Hounsou, Peter Seravinovich, Karen Gillan, Lee Pace, Micheal Rooker., Josh Brolin...

This film propbably has the most talented and diverse cast roster of any Marvel film, yet with the exception of Rooker, who is fun to watch as a blue alien with an apalachian accent, and actually creates a character you remember afterwards this stuinning cast really is largely wasted.

Close, Reilly and Seravinivich play what I assume are beloved cvharacters in the comics, but leave little to no impression ther then the fact that that they are played by actors that I have heard of. One character dikes and it has ni impact. Theere a shot of another of these characters hugging his wife and child and I just wondered why that shot was even in there. There is nothing in the film that allowed me to invest emotionally in them.

Anoither flaw is the plot. which features a war between two civilizations that has lasted for a thousand years, the Kree and the Xandar. Neither of these cultures is developed in any way. So by the time the big battle to save Xandar starts (after only about 1 hour and 20 minutes, sadly) I havent been given a reason to be invested in it. Xandar btw, looks like a huge, squeaky clean shopping center. At some point Guardians Of The Galaxy decide it;'s important to save this planet. I could not really figure out why.

Also, the usual dull Marvel villain, there are several. Rhona, Nebula, Thanos etc.

Pace is a good actor who dissapeared under the make-up. I think they got the tone wrong. His character makes several declamatory speeches about the war lasting 1000 years and Xandar being responsible for the death of his father, his fathers father and his fathers father's father etc. I wonder if this was supposed to be intended as comical, but for some reason it comes off as a dull sci-fi fantasy cliche. The villain in this movie just come off as being very angry and screaming a lot. Again. Michael Rooker is the exception.

I did like you and watched these a couple of months ago. I like the second and third Mad Max the most. The first one was a bit weird.

Fury Road is the second most anticipated flick this year for me, after Star Wars. The trailer makes it look awesome as hell. Real live action stunt work. Bless Miller for not going CGI ! :D

Yep, apparently it was a tough shoot due to being done for real. On a similar note, it's been nice to see behind-the-scenes pics from The Force Awakens of actors being filmed on actual sets.

So given that I can't go see Song of the Sea, which was released here last Friday, because film distribution here sucks on several levels, I'm going to go see the Mad Max 1 and 2 re-release. Never seen those.

Alien. Still nothing better than this. Got to watch it on BR for the first time, and was blown away. I never imagined this film, from the days of the grainy 70s cinema, could be enhanced to this level. I could read the tiny numbers between the lights on the wall in Mother's womb. Amazing.

Yup - the Alien Anthology Blu Ray box set is amazing. I too was blown away by how good both Alien and Aliens looked. The best BR set in my collection.

I was amazed they were able to make Aliens look so good; they found the exact right balance between leaving it grainy and DNRing it to death. It's still grainy, but not too grainy like the old DVDs - it's much cleaner looking, but not like what Fox did to Predator. It's perfect.

The film was never intended to look like Alien. Two radically different visual styles.

Yup - the Alien Anthology Blu Ray box set is amazing. I too was blown away by how good both Alien and Aliens looked. The best BR set in my collection.

If Aliens hadn't been tealed to death and kept the original colors, it would have been better.

Aliens-banner-624x162.png

Either one of those images looks fine to me *shrug*

Is there a website with a lot of comparison shots I can look at?

No. Thanks to teal tint it looks more modern and cool!

I don't want to see a modern Aliens, as I don't want to see a modern E.T. (thank God this wasn't tealed!!), Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones etc.

I want to see the 1986 Aliens. Thanks.

Either one of those images looks fine to me *shrug*

Is there a website with a lot of comparison shots I can look at?

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5207&disc2=5208&hd_multiID=2128#auswahl

just pick a screenshot, then click 1920x1080 Fullscreen Comparison and move the cursor.

I remember that 80's obsession with reddish color schemes. Really screwed up flesh tones and made everyone look like longtime alcoholics.

Glad to see that was corrected for Aliens.

The teal is not the original color either!

It was revised by Cameron!

No. Thanks to teal tint it looks more modern and cool!

I don't want to see a modern Aliens, as I don't want to see a modern E.T., Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones etc.

I want to see the 1986 Aliens. Thanks.

Then create a time machine and go live in the past!

Maybe you want to colorise the Black and White films and make them 3d too?

They are so old fashioned now, and don't keep up with current technology!

After visiting that Aliens comparison page, the blu ray still looks better to me *shrug*

Filmmusic, Alvar.

What if 10 or 20 years from now studios rerelease films from the last 5 years on home video, and they color correct the teal and orange because its no longer fashionable.

Will you guys object?

I'm absolutely SURE that this will happen!

Teal is just in fashion now, and in 10 years another color will be in fashion, and all films will be "restored" to that palette!

I just want the original color palette! As it is on the negative!

By the way, here's a teal montage I had made some time ago, to show that this is not directors' intentions, but just a current trend:

post-1226-0-70877000-1431275710.jpg

By the way, here's a teal montage I had made some time ago, to show that this is not directors' intentions, but just a current trend:

How does your montage proves that?

These are all films from different eras and places.

Their respective directors couldn't ALL have the exact same intentions from the beginning to make their films teal!

All these come from films that were "restored" in the last 7-8 years.

Negative?

What do you mean? As it was shot?

All films are colorgraded, and have been for many decades. That didn't start with LOTR

I mean the original 35mm (or 70mm) negative, from which they made the various film prints to show at the theaters.

Their respective directors couldn't ALL have the exact same intentions from the beginning to make their films teal!

How exactly do you know that?

By pure logic..

Have you seen those negatives?

I don't have to see them.

For starters, Cameron said himself that they revised the colors.

This is an interesting article that is relevant to our talk here:

http://notonbluray.com/blog/orange-and-teal/

I agree with Jason that they did a great job dealing with Aliens excessive grain (it's always had a very noisy picture) without making everything look like a waxwork.

I'm less fussed about color corrections to make the film look crisper.

By pure logic..

Logic...logic...logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Filmmusis. Not the end.

I believe Alien looks different as well. Blade Runner The Final Cut definitely looks different.

It looks more modern and cool, so I don't see what's the problem.

Some say it's like Lucassing the original.

Would the WorkPrint version of Blade Runner be the best place to see what the originally intended colors are?

Would the WorkPrint version of Blade Runner be the best place to see what the originally intended colors are?

why not try the original theatrical cut?

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5714&disc2=5715&cap1=53544&cap2=53596&art=full&image=1&hd_multiID=2331&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

I agree with Jason that they did a great job dealing with Aliens excessive grain (it's always had a very noisy picture) without making everything look like a waxwork.

I'm less fussed about color corrections to make the film look crisper.

From what i remember you are fussed about new audio mixes and you prefer always the original.

It's strange that you don't feel that way too about radical color changes.

I guess I'm just not as arsed about all this color stuff as some of you guys are

I just pop the movie in, press play, and watch the damn thing without fussing over all this stuff

A workprint is not yet color graded, Jay. Color grading the the very last step in post production.

BTW, Scott says Blade Runner was never properly color graded.

If there is a new score release for Jaws or Star Wars I would like it to sound a bit better and clearer and crisper then previous releases.

I don't want a release that sounds exactly the same as it did in the 70's.

Technology has moved on.

I guess I'm just not as arsed about all this color stuff as some of you guys are

I just pop the movie in, press play, and watch the damn thing without fussing over all this stuff

well, especially in movies I have seen multiple times and i love, i want to see them in HD as I remember them and as they are.

how do you feel about audio?

If there is a new score release for Jaws or Star Wars I would like it to sound a bit better and clearer and crisper then previous releases.

I don't want a release that sounds exactly the same as it did in the 70's.

Technology has moved on.

This is different!

Changing the colors in a film, is like changing the orchestration in a film score.

Not like making the sound better and clearer.

This would be equivalent to a DVD being updated to a Bluray, but with the same colors retained!

Wrong. Technically remixing a score is far more similar to color adjustment then changing the orchestrations.

Then you would be changing the actual music, not the recording of the music.

With color grading, DNR you aren't changing the content of the film, just the appearance.

Wrong. Technically remixing a score is far more similar to color adjustment then changing the orchestrations.

Then you would be changing the actual music, not the recording of the music.

I disagree. Orchestration is musical colors. So changing the colors in a film, is like changing the colors (=the instruments) in the music.

And yes, it's exactly as you said it "With color grading, DNR you aren't changing the content of the film, just the appearance."

Same with the orchestration.

If you play a piece in an orchestra or in the piano, the content doesn't change. The music (melody, harmonies etc.) is the same.

The appearance changes! ;)

Changing orchestrations is not something you can do years after the score was recorded.

You clearly don't have a good grasp on the technical side of this.

So its fine to remix a score for a new release, so it sounds better, which is the labels (LLL, Intrada, Varse etc) do all the time.

But to adjust the colors or do anything about the grain of a film is sacrilige?

Changing orchestrations is not something you can do years after the score was recorded.

I didn't say otherwise.

Although you can do it, if you re-record the score.