What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Cloud Atlas:

I started this with an open mind but the film never grabbed me. The duration is so long that I eventually had to fight not to fall asleep (it was already too late in the evening). Oh yeah, the movie ... Meh. The fragmented narrative, the everything is connected message, actors with obvious transformational makeup, that's just not my cup of tea. However, the movie gets an extra point for featuring one of the funniest characters I've seen in a long time:

cloud-atlas-pstr02_zpsdisqipre.jpg

4/10

Alex

Seen too much of late but on Deep Impact for the latest.

As with some of late it's the late James Horner that has made me re-watch it. It's not a bad film, not perfect but any film with Kurtwood Smith and Max Schell in it can't be all bad. Without fail the most affecting scene is the Messiah crew's farewell to their loved ones accompanied by Horner's music and that moment when the feed is lost in a burst of static.

Horner's music overall is great. Obvious highlight is the Wedding, I say this as it's the one track from the film on all those Best Of albums/collections.

It's an understated gem for sure (both film and score). It's James doing what James (did) best: manipulating the listener to feel a sense of genuine loss, regret, despair, and ultimately hope.

And my favorites cues are the 3 long ones.

Yeah I struggle with my opinion of that one but ultimately I want to like it so I do.

It's certainly strange and after seeing it at the cinema I wasn't sure it it's just strange or strange and good. I still liked it on Blu-ray though: Strange and esoteric, but in a stylish and often quite fascinating way. I hear it doesn't do the book justice, but until I read that, I like it. Quite a cool score, too.

Strange, esoteric, indefinable? Cloud Atlas? What are you people talking about?! It's six story lines that are interwoven (nothing new or strange about that). The pace and the storytelling do their best not to bore the general audience. We even get a whole spectacular action scene with Neo 2. Sure, everything is connected, so what?

I agree with Cremers: the story (stories if you prefer) is really basic, and that was a big problem for me.

That being said, I still like the film, though I think I like it more for what the filmmakers were trying to achieve rather than what it ended up being. The final product may be flawed, but damn, I can't help but admire the ambition behind it.

Strange, esoteric, indefinable? Cloud Atlas? What are you people talking about?! It's six story lines that are interwoven (nothing new or strange about that). The pace and the storytelling do their best not to bore the general audience. We even get a whole spectacular action scene with Neo 2. Sure, everything is connected, so what?

Indeed.

Pinnochio (1940)

It's still a landmark in feature animation in technical merits alone, especially with the impressively rendered underwater sequences. But even with Cliff Richards' warm and funny Jiminy Cricket, it is a dark film -- and even with its happy ending, its classic status eludes me. The Stromboli scenes and the infamous Pleasure Island sequence gave me nightmares as a child, and they're still disturbing to watch.

I liked those ones. I didn't care for Peter Pan however.

I have to be in the right mood to enjoy Peter Pan. Tinker Bell's jealousy and Hook's ineptness grind my nerves something fierce.

I didn't like Pinocchio as a kid, but now I fucking love it. The humor, the art, the music, the darkness... It's all done so damn well. There's one particular shot that always gets overlooked when the first day of school gets introduced and the camera slowly but surely enters the city. For today it seems quite standard, but for the 40's it's almost vanguardist.

Are you sure you're not talking about J.J. Abrams' film? The only thing that stood out was a Vatican sequence. The other stuff had very little to do with M:I series. It's just a wrong type of story.

Two films that followed it were infinitely superior and brought back the fun of original concept.

The JJ film is incredibly mediocre. Structured like a TV episode rather then a movie and utterly forgettable.

Brad Birds film is a LOT better, and the team is finally interesting.

That's funny. I had exactly the opposite reaction to both films. Weird. But hey . . . to each his own.

I agree with Cremers: the story (stories if you prefer) is really basic, and that was a big problem for me.

That being said, I still like the film, though I think I like it more for what the filmmakers were trying to achieve rather than what it ended up being. The final product may be flawed, but damn, I can't help but admire the ambition behind it.

This is pretty close to my feelings about Cloud Atlas. It's a sort of guilty pleasure I just don't feel that guilty about—one of those movies I was willing to suspend my disbelief for and let them take me along for the ride. It may be flawed, but ultimately, I just didn't care. It was a fun ride. (Worth it to see Hugo Weaving's Nurse Ratched turn. As epic as Elrond.)

Are you sure you're not talking about J.J. Abrams' film? The only thing that stood out was a Vatican sequence. The other stuff had very little to do with M:I series. It's just a wrong type of story.

Two films that followed it were infinitely superior and brought back the fun of original concept.

The JJ film is incredibly mediocre. Structured like a TV episode rather then a movie and utterly forgettable.

Brad Birds film is a LOT better, and the team is finally interesting.

That's funny. I had exactly the opposite reaction to both films. Weird. But hey . . . to each his own.

I liked both films, with Bird's being the better of the two. MI:3 is a perfectly good film, and basically righted the franchise ship.

Serpico (1973) - 9/10

Love this kind of 70's cinema, the market was flowing with these type of character-driven movies and the filmmakers seemed to be a the peak of their creativity. An also quite the performance by Pacino, though curiously enough the score could get a little distracting at times, but could be bad communication between Lumet and an inexperienced composer. Probably doesn't seem that special by today's standars, but the subject matter is still quite contemporary if your country's justice is corrupt.

Moon (2009) - 8/10

Quite a unique piece of sci-fi, no to so much in terms of story but how it's executed. Reminded me a litte of Safety not Guaranteed, a Sundance film disguised as sci-fi. While in Trevorrow's film the film didn't know where to go at times, here it's very clear in every scene, and I was actually pleasently surprised at how much stuff happened but always at a calm, relaxed pace which worked wonders in favour of the film. I do believe there were some plot holes here and there, but nothing too major that ruined the film. Of course Kevin Spacey as the HAL-type robot Gerty steals the film, though he's not the robot you expect it to be, which is a nice refreshing change. All in all, one of my favorite new sci-fi films.

Nightcrawler

Never before have I watched a film where the protagonist was so slimy, deceptive, and unlikeable. I'm sure that was the point. His dry sincerely arrogant speech delivery was neat though. Halfway through the movie, I became more attached to the car than either lead character.

It would be a terrible movie if he was a likeable Tom Hanks. With a mind like that, you have to be a sicko. But sicko or not, I still rooted for him. He still has a point. ;)

Wes Craven's New Nightmare. I'm not a Craven, Nightmare or slasher fan, really. But I like this one a lot. As such, it's probably not considered canon or highly regarded by fans of the man's work or the genre. But, I mean, it's pretty fucking good, right? Cool concept. Heather was gorgeous. Demon trench coat skeletal claw hand Freddy is actually scary. It keeps my attention. With the exception of one bad morph shot and that jarring end credits music, this thing has aged pretty well, I think.

It's highly regarded by fans. I love it.

And there are some big questions looming over the film's narrative as we're clued in to how much the other "real life" characters know what's going on.

Wes Craven obviously knows what's haunting Heather, but did he have visitations from Demon Freddy too? Robert Englund acted weird and surely knew more than what he was letting on. And Bob Shaye's reaction to the phone ringing was telling.

Jaws

I was very happy to see Jaws on the big screen for the first time. I saw this with an audience of about 400 people and it's amazing how well this movie plays forty years after it was first released. There's laughs, there's scares, there's cheers. No-one gives a shit the shark looks fake, because the directing is so good that rubber turd will still scare the pants off you.

I keep seeing new clever things Spielberg does in his staging, his framing and the way he builds his scenes. Jaws is the work of a filmmaker with a firm grasp of his craft. And the guy who directed this was only 26. Amazing.

I love Jaws more each time I watch it and seeing it on the big screen gave me goosebumps several times. It's a masterpiece of filmmaking and audience engagement and if you ever get the chance to see this movie projected large, take it with both hands.

Good flick! Yea, you're not supposed to root for him eventually.  He's a prick

Worth seeing exactly once, it has no reason to rewatch it. Nice though to see Bill Paxton's still around, forgot about him.

Jaws

I was very happy to see Jaws on the big screen for the first time. I saw this with an audience of about 400 people and it's amazing how well this movie plays forty years after it was first released. There's laughs, there's scares, there's cheers. No-one gives a shit the shark looks fake, because the directing is so good that rubber turd will still scare the pants off you.

I keep seeing new clever things Spielberg does in his staging, his framing and the way he builds his scenes. Jaws is the work of a filmmaker with a firm grasp of his craft. And the guy who directed this was only 26. Amazing.

I love Jaws more each time I watch it and seeing it on the big screen gave me goosebumps several times. It's a masterpiece of filmmaking and audience engagement and if you ever get the chance to see this movie projected large, take it with both hands.

Annoyed that Jaws played in my country and I didn't know about it!

The X-Files

I'm right in the middle of a run-through of the series leading up to the revival. There aren't exactly a lot of precidents of TV shows having major movies made as part of their actual run. No one knew how long this show was going to go but this came out the height of its popularity, and they made something that was part of the overarching mythology. I have no idea if this movie makes sense to a non-X-Files watcher, but I love it. It goes from one cool set piece to another pretty seamlessly.

xfilesbox1.jpg

Pet Sematary

I'm not a big fan of Stephen King (the praise Carrie gets bewilder me), but this is effective in spots. It does mine some effective psychological horror along with the gore. Mary Lambert crafts a beautifully bleak mood and her framing choices are inspired... especially the final coda. (She would be a better director for "American Horror Story" than Ryan Murphy could ever be.) Denise Crosby's acting is a bit flat, but Dale Midkiff and Fred Gwynn keep the film together.

The X-Files

I'm right in the middle of a run-through of the series leading up to the revival. There aren't exactly a lot of precidents of TV shows having major movies made as part of their actual run. No one knew how long this show was going to go but this came out the height of its popularity, and they made something that was part of the overarching mythology. I have no idea if this movie makes sense to a non-X-Files watcher, but I love it. It goes from one cool set piece to another pretty seamlessly.

xfilesbox1.jpg

I love the movie but it does have some disappointments. Mulder and Smoking Man never see each other, let alone confront one another. And Scully is absent for most of the final act.