What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's just too messy and rambunctious for me. Epic messiness is a cardinal sin.

I consider it the necessary slap in the face Spielberg needed to get his act together.

Somebody should slap him in the face again!

It's just too messy and rambunctious for me. Epic messiness is a cardinal sin.

I consider it the necessary slap in the face Spielberg needed to get his act together.

Somebody should slap him in the face again!

You seem like the right fellow for the job!

cache3.jpg

Caché

I've been meaning to see this film for, well, I guess 10 years, and I finally did! And it was... well-made, but unsatisfying?

The plot involves a Parisian family who one day receives a package on their front door showing them a long video recording of the outside of their apartment - essentially letting them know they're being watched. More videos come in and soon the father is heading out to try to figure out what they're all about. I shouldn't say any more because its better to have the story unfold for you when you're watching.

The acting is great - Daniel Auteuil as the dad, Juliette Binoche as the mom, Lester Makedonsky as their son, and Maurice Bénichou as a man from the father's past all really embody their roles. Most of the film is shot so that the audience feels like its spying on the goings-on, which is cool. So it all comes down to the plot, and if its good enough to warrant a full recommendation. Well.... I dunno!

I watched this weeks ago now, and I find I'm still pondering on it. I have my own theories on what really went on, but I like the open-to-interpretation nature of it too, I think. The one thing I don't get is why this makes lists of "the best films of the 2000s"? I mean, come on - does anybody really think its that good? Or were they just swept up in the hype?

Maybe my opinion will change if I see it again - I imagine there's a lot of clues and subtle things to be noticed on repeat viewings.

Interesting film.

Its certainly a film that lingers. As I remmeber it was a film that really got under your skin, making you feel uneasy. Probably should watch it again one day.

Tomorrowland

Great cast, nice premise and a lot of potential. But in the end, it's kind of empty isn't it? I came in expecting mediocrity, but it's actually rather decent. The first hour is good stuff, but it all falls flat by the third act. It takes a couple of leaps of logic, and I'm not sure how exactly Bird was trying to tie everything together. I didn't even mind how hard the film was trying to drive its message to the audience, but for all the talk of dreaming, there's actually very little of it you see on screen. And the wonders of "Tomorrowland" are reduced to a 2-5 min sequence, and then the next time you're there, you're basically at the film's climax.

I mean it's decent stuff. Just seems incomplete.

Oh and Giacchino's score, in its utter banality, was pretty distracting to me. The mundane themes kept playing without sync to picture's emotional beats, and unfortunately, in almost in-verbatim quotes. But I think my problem is more with the music itself, than how it serves the film. Those annoying trumpets certainly weren't doing the film any favours. There was one nice choral cue that I didn't remember hearing on album though.

There was one nice choral cue that I didn't remember hearing on album though.

When Casey touches the pin in the car and sees the wheatfield?

For Your Eyes Only - once again, the Bond series opts for a more down-to-Earth 'palate cleanser' after a possibly overly fantastical predecessor (see also YOLT being followed by OHMSS and DAD being followed by the complete rethink of CR).

The stuff with 'we're-not-calling-him-Blofeld-McClory's-lawyers-are-watching' in the pre-credits sequence and the Thatcher/parrot stuff at the end are a touch cringeworthy now, but the rest of this mostly makes for a fine Bond film. Particular highlights for me include Moore's most ruthless moment as 007 (the kicking off the cliff-edge of Locque's car), the genuinely suspenseful ascent to St. Cyril's and one of the finest endings to a Cold War-era Bond ever ('That's detente, Comrade. You don't have it, I don't have it').

Kingsman: The Secret Service

It was okay. I liked the underlying theme but it doesn't have that Vaughn magic that sparkled in Stardust and X-Men: First Class. Taron Egerton is good, Colin Firth even better, but Samuel L. Jackson phones it in -- with a really annoying lisp to boot. People raved about how good it was, but I don't really see it. There's a few standout sequences, but it's too vulgar and absurd to really gel together.

Kingsman: The Secret Service

People raved about how good it was, but I don't really see it.

This. I kinda endured it. One of the most forgettable things I've seen of late.

Alex

The Rescuers

It's sporadically funny and has its moments, but apart from Geraldine Page's wonderfully tacky Madame Medusa, it's rather slight and the simpler animation doesn't age well. There's not much of the traditional Disney magic in this movie, it's rather dark and Medusa's alligator sidekicks will give young children nightmares.

I remember watching it over and over as a kid, so I do have a soft spot for this movie.

Made during the time when Disney had rather lost their spark. But it's entertaining still. Much like Robin Hood or The Great Mouse Detective.

The Rescuers really comes to life in its final 30 minutes. A lot of attention went into the cave sequence, and it's actually still suspenseful. Had the filmmaking crew gave the amount of attention to the first half like they did with the finale, it would've been better overall.

Made during the time when Disney had rather lost their spark. But it's entertaining still. Much like Robin Hood or The Great Mouse Detective.

Robin Hood is one of their best!

And The Sword in the Stone!

8452_5.jpg

Beetlejuice, the Batman's, Planet Of The Apes and Mars Attacks....

Not a fan

Not Ed Wood? I don't care much for Burton most of the time (or Elfman for that matter), but that one is special.

I think Steef would like Big Fish though.

Why? Is it sci-fi or fantasy?

Sigh...

It was middling and ultimately just another average movie from an overrated director.

Croc - "but how is he overrated though?"

Not a fan

Not Ed Wood? I don't care much for Burton most of the time (or Elfman for that matter), but that one is special.

Thank god it wasn't Elfman on that one. ;)

My favorite Burtons all have that in common ... no Elfman.

Not a fan

Definitely . Burton is one of those directors whose talent I recognize but he very rarely seems to put things together or pick engaging projects.

Sleepy Hollow deserves mention among his best.

Burton's best films are without question Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns, Ed Wood, and I suppose I'd throw Edward Scissorhands in there because it is apparently beloved, although it's never been a favorite of mine. But the point is, everything since then has been mediocre or pure shit. I suspect he was abducted by aliens and replaced with an inferior version.

Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow are the only movies by Burton in truly enjoy. The later does have the usual Burton problems with the third act, but it is the one project where Burton's visual sensibilities totally paid off. I adore the sequence the whole sequence of Michael Gambon telling the tale of the Horseman. The music in that sequence is also terrific. The score, like the movie, does lose its way a bit in the second half