What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Return Of The Jedi : Special Edition - probably the 'least' of the original trilogy ... not sure the saga needed oversized teddy bears who can effortlessly defeat Stormtroopers, really. Still, in other places like the speeder-bike chase and our heroes escaping from Jabba's clutches there's still much fun to be had.

I watched ROTJ last weekend in a Original Trilogy marathon. And watching it straight after the first two does not do it any favours really.

It really brought home how dull and lifeless Han and Leia are in this compared to the other two. Hamill is quite solid, but even Luke isnt as much fun as he was in the other two.

Hamill is quite solid, but even Luke isnt as much fun as he was in the other two.

I like his subdued performance. And of course he has the scenes with the Emperor, which I still consider among the best of the trilogy, even though ROTJ is certainly the most flawed of the three in other aspects.

I also don't think having the Emperor lessens Vader's impression. Vader is just as strong and badass as always (until Luke gets to him), making him "just" the right hand of the Emperor only makes the Emperor seem all the more powerful. The early scene of Vader kneeling before Palpatine's shuttle establishes that wonderfully.

I blame a lot of that stuff on how Richard Marquand had the cast deliver their lines. S l o w l y and d e l i b e r a t e l y

Return Of The Jedi : Special Edition - probably the 'least' of the original trilogy ... not sure the saga needed oversized teddy bears who can effortlessly defeat Stormtroopers, really. Still, in other places like the speeder-bike chase and our heroes escaping from Jabba's clutches there's still much fun to be had.

I like Return of the Jedi, regardless of the daft ewoks. The Jabba palace intro is classic Star Wars, the space battles are the best in the series (one time people used to watch Star Wars for its space battles), the special effects are outstanding, the score is golden era and the entire second half showdown between Luke, Vader and Palatine is excellent, probably my favorite part of the entire saga actually. Jedi is still better than TFA IMO.

Right now TFA edges out on ROTJ a little bit. Both are derivative, flawed films. But TFA is just more energetic to me.

That might change of-course. I'm comparing a film I've seen a dozen times with a fresh and new one.

I saw Star Wars when I was a kid. On TV, with Dutch/French subs, so it was Belgian television I guess. But I was a bit too young to really understand it. I remember someone's arm getting hacked off.It seemed like a movie for grown ups at the time.

The first time I saw Return of the Jedi, I was very young, between 6 and 10. I remember thinking all the weirdos in that dark castle were weird, so I turned it off. When I was ten, ABC aired it again. Mom taped it for me. I still remember the announcer calling it the mother of all Star Wars movies. I think it took two more years before I rented the other two, but by then the damage was done and the Vader twist wasn't a shock.

Hamill is quite solid, but even Luke isnt as much fun as he was in the other two.

And of course he has the scenes with the Emperor, which I still consider among the best of the trilogy

The scenes on the 2nd Death Star between the Emperor and Luke are hands down the best thing about Jedi. As with many of us, I watched the OT (Harmy versions) one-per-day leading up through Wednesday night to get me ready for TFA, and ROTJ, while still fun as a whole, viewing them in succession makes it abundantly clear that it's a bit of a mess.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. At first I thought it wasn't going to be too great because the first twenty minutes or so was just more fighting and escaping, but then things got underway. I loved the scenes between Darth Sidious and Anakin (who was much better in this film, incidentally), how his love for Padme ultimately drove him to the dark side and, well, basically, the whole sequence of events that followed. Story-wise, this is definitely my favourite Star Wars film so far. Score-wise, too. John Williams stunned me again as Anakin was killing the Jedi. Beautiful, beautiful music all around, not to mention the fanfare when Anakin was sent on his mission. Looking back, I have to say I prefer the prequels and I should have watched those first because so many things seem childishly simple or illogical when you start with the originals.

Looking back, I have to say I prefer the prequels and I should have watched those first because so many things seem childishly simple or illogical when you start with the originals.

This sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Luke being all sullen would not be such an issue if Leia and Han were still fun. Han has gone from a cocky, confident rogue to a insecure mess. Leia seems to have no character at all in this movie.

I saw this film in a fantastic theatre in London* (beautiful projection, unbelievable clear sound) and, believe it or not, only the Luke-Vader-Emperor confrontation scene made me look at that huge IMAX-like screen. I literally hated everything else.

*A few months before it was in Belgium

Alex

She looks like a matchstick figure, just like Keira. I also don't like the way she runs or moves. I'm not a fan of Keira or Keira lookalikes. My only hope is that the non-episode Star Wars movies will be better in that regard as well.

Who are we talking about? Rey? They wanted a tomboy, that much is clear. She has a slight but solid build, and plenty of attitude. Look at her silhouette - the ideal female Jedi aesthetic IMO. I could see it most when she was scaling the interior walls of the Starkiller, the girl made great shapes. Daisy got off to a good start in this movie.

Bloodboal, I think my comment about the Original Trilogy does make sense. Darth Vader isn't just a bad guy with a mask, he has a story line now. I also know more about the Civil War and it's no longer the simple 'Jedi are good, the rest is BAD!' opposition. Now I know why Princess Leia is a princess and why Luke is the chosen one and all that. I just prefer a good story, sorry.