What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Emmerich's Godzilla is better than anything he's made since 2004.

9 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Child's Play

This was actually a lot of fun. I had no idea what to expect. I thought it was going to be a standard slasher (scantily clad female victims hunted by a knife-wielding maniac - a doll in this case), but it had very different main characters than I expected. There's actually only three deaths in the entire film. So the movie seems like it's trying to be more than a standard slasher. But here's the thing: the whole thing is completely fucking ridiculous. And it works as something completely cheesy because of that, but it works as nothing else. It's a ridiculous film, which makes it fun, but there's no way to take it seriously. A fun film though. And at just 93 minutes, it breezes by.

It is the best out of those movies. But I don't like how it explains everything to you about Chucky's origin right off the bat, then reinforces that when he visits the witch doctor who taught him the spell. That's all fluff that should have been written out.

Sicario:

emily-blunt-sicario_zpss2lwczx7.jpg

Jay is right. Prisoners is still the only really, really good movie Denis Villeneuve has made. That doesn't mean there isn't any good stuff in Sicario, but overall as a movie it's a bit too ponderous, and Emily Blunt (who is actually very believable as a woman in a man's world) is too much the voice of reason or Lady Justice. I also don't know if the idea of leaving the audience in the dark about the mission is brilliant or a mistake. On the one hand it's bold, just like Blunt's character, we don't know what she's doing there, but on the other hand, we don't know the stakes either. Why would we give a sh!t? To know which of the two it is, it might be necessary to watch Sicario a second time.

BR2 might be in trouble. 6/10

Alex

13 hours ago, Joey said:

I just watched Gremlins. Such a sardonic Christmas film. Yet it is full of heart and it holds up to this very day. Jerry was a genius.

Local arthouse cinema were running it as part of their Christmas season, I went along. Darkly-tinged seasonal fun. 

It's not as emotionally invested as Prisoners, but in a strange way, just as hypnotizing. It's hard to put into words, but I think you'll come around to it with another viewing Alex.

I have faith in Villeneuve!

Kanadians are taking over the music industry. We'll do the same with film! Villeneuve will be the saviour of Hollywood!!

The Walk:

The-Walk-Robert-Zemekis-Joseph-Gordon-Le

I know I'm going against the stream again but I didn't like it. The fairy tale approach was whimsical, tame, borderline idiotic and most of the characters didn't work for me. The climax was completely anticlimactic. 3/10 

The Walk's existence is pretty much pointless, the story's already been brilliantly told in Man On Wire. 

Die Hard 2 - not quite up there with the first, of course. But WAY ahead of the last couple of franchise entries.  

It seemed cool to pick on Burton's Batman movies when Nolan's flicks were running strong because it was "realistic and relatable" time. But now I think the dust has settled from those and people are embracing the fun and the whimsy of Burton's old stylised cinematic tales again.

Love Burton's two films, Marcy and I watched them within the last year or two (so my first time seeing them since I was a kid) and I had a ton of fun watching them.  A+ scores, too!

Sure, they're fun and whimsical at points. Returns is an easy target because you've got Danny Devito running around in a fat suit with black slime coming out of his mouth saying all this vulgar shit and mind-controlled penguins with rockets strapped to their backs. But it's also an very dark misanthropic film. The Bat/Cat/Penguin trio are all tragic fucked-up characters. Max Shreck would seem to be the real villain pulling all the strings, but he is really just a product of his world. Bruce Wayne/Batman himself is a far more depressing character here, isolated from the world, waiting in his mansion in the shadows for the bat signal. His tactics are more questionable in these films, as he constantly maims criminals and doesn't seem to show remorse. When he tries to appeal to Selina at the end as she's about to kill Max, he looks hypocritical, but it's like he's trying to save her from becoming like him. You get the sense that he really does love her, but the poor guy just can't catch a break. I sometimes wonder what happens to these characters, how the Michael Keaton Bruce Wayne is doing these days, but I'm kinda glad we'll probably never find out.

It's a ballsy flick that shit all over conventional cinematic tropes, which supposedly upset mainstream audiences, mortified studio executives, and made me a giddy six-year-old*.

"This is why we can't let artistes take control of multi-million dollar investments!"

*my mum also took me to see Alien 3 that year and we both enjoyed it.

Batman Returns on opening night at the drive-in is the best time I've had seeing a movie. I still remember hearing the end credits music playing on the radio on the drive home.

I will also say that while Star Trek Generations understandably gets a lot of flack, I've always enjoyed it and it is also a favorite of mine. It's a bizarre first TNG movie. Everyone is somber and emotionally tormented. There's a dark depressing vibe throughout, even in the Kirk scenes in spite of a charismatic Shatner and the spine-tingling horseback scene. What the hell was going on in the early 90s?

I get quite emotional during Picard's Nexus dream. Stewart's reactions to the kids are so heartwarming, I got a little lump in my throat. You can say it's out of character for Picard, but you'd be wrong. While he was uncomfortable with children at the start of the series, it turned out he was actually quite good with kids and he was like a father figure to the entire crew.

Serenity

It's been a few years since I've last seen it, but still a nice series finale to the cult TV series. Some of the sillier aspects of the show have been smoothed out, but the ensemble cast still have that wonderful camaraderie with each other. The main plot about the Operative (Chiwetel Ejiofor) and Miranda doesn't really gel, mostly due to time constraints, and no mention of the terrifying 'Hands of Blue' guys from the show either. But for his first feature film, Whedon still makes this story very engaging (character deaths still ache!) and there's little touches in the camerawork and visual effects shots that would emerge in his two Avengers movies. (And stolen outright by the likes of J.J. Abrams.)

Actually, upon revisiting Serenity, it's actually better than his Marvel films. There's something appealing about the low-tech, no-name actors and tighter budget on Serenity. Even the CGI work has aged pretty well, for a mid-budget studio film.

2 hours ago, Matt C said:

Serenity

It's been a few years since I've last seen it, but still a nice series finale to the cult TV series. Some of the sillier aspects of the show have been smoothed out, but the ensemble cast still have that wonderful camaraderie with each other. The main plot about the Operative (Chiwetel Ejiofor) and Miranda doesn't really gel, mostly due to time constraints, and no mention of the terrifying 'Hands of Blue' guys from the show either. But for his first feature film, Whedon still makes this story very engaging (character deaths still ache!) and there's little touches in the camerawork and visual effects shots that would emerge in his two Avengers movies. (And stolen outright by the likes of J.J. Abrams.)

Actually, upon revisiting Serenity, it's actually better than his Marvel films. There's something appealing about the low-tech, no-name actors and tighter budget on Serenity. Even the CGI work has aged pretty well, for a mid-budget studio film.

I wonder when they will bring in J.J. to inject new life into the franchise.

With The Force Awakens being a pop culture phenomenon, I wouldn't be surprised if Universal approached Whedon about doing a Serenity sequel -- now that his profile is bigger and that he's no longer under Disney's thumb.

Nostalgia can be pretty lucrative.

J.J. would bring in new young actors to whom the new audience can relate to.

Nathan Fillion would only have to say: "Yes, I was the captain of Serenity. It's true. Well, most of it is."

Morena Baccarin is gorgeous ... Homeland's storylines may be less annoying now that the Brody family are no longer in it, but I'm not sure the subsequent loss of her frequent nekkid scenes as Brody's wife was worth the trade-off tbh.    

watched Mysterious Island on blu. It's a very stylized film for it's time. The effects are beautiful even today. The score is very dramatic. Fun time.

Batman (1966)

Ah, Batman. From a time when people like Adam West could spout dialogue as ridiculous as the stuff in this film and totally get away with it. Make no mistake: Batman is a kids' film. Forget the heightened realism of Nolan, forget the gothic noir of Burton. This is the kind of comic book movie Joel Schumacher must have been watching (Batman & Robin is a clear offspring of this film). It's dumb, it's campy, it's poorly structured and feels much longer than its bristk 105-minute running time, but dagnammit, this is just so much fun. I love it.

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.