What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I would'nt say that the film doesnt begin before that. Since that doesnt give any credit to Janet Leigh. But the sudden shift if the whole reason the film excists.

The most brilliant plot twist in film history.

that is overstating it more than a bit.

Spectre:

Bond fans were disappointed? I enjoyed it, not all of it, but most of it. The opening scene with all the sand colors looked great. The boss villain's dialogue belongs in an Austin Powers movie though.The fight between Bond and that big guy was great too but sadly ended with a corny cliché (don't tell me you laughed with that!). So this is maybe Daniel Craig's last Bond movie? I hope not. He's one of the few action stars that I like. Better yet, Craig is probably my favorite Bond. 7/10

Spectre-Review-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full_zps

Alex

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Spectre:

Bond fans were disappointed? I enjoyed it, not all of it, but most of it. The opening scene with all the sand colors looked great. The boss villain's dialogue belongs in an Austin Powers movie though.The fight between Bond and that big guy was great too but sadly ended with a corny cliché (don't tell me you laughed with that!). So this is maybe Daniel Craig's last Bond movie? I hope not. He's one of the few action stars that I like. Better yet, Craig is probably my favorite Bond. 7/10

Spectre-Review-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full_zps

Alex

Agreed! It's a fine Bond film.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Agreed! It's a fine Bond film.

It's an okay Bond film. It's predecessor looms large.

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Also, Sam Mendes sure knows how to pick his cinematographers. I mean, I love the man, but who missed Roger Deakins?!

Alex

Spectre was hideously shot.

Spectre is a handsome-looking film, though it can't compete with Skyfall

And the movie was okay. Not bad, not great either. Opening sequence was awesome though.

16 minutes ago, Drax said:

I know! Actors' heads were periodically half cut out of frame and it was constantly out of focus. Awful looking film.

You really should stop watching those illigal iPhone versions! 

19 minutes ago, Joey said:

Spectre was hideously shot.

You think the same of Seven, another beautifully shot film. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

You really should stop watching those illigal iPhone versions! 

You think the same of Seven, another beautifully shot film. 

Sorry but I will have agree with Neil S Bulk on this. Spectre is an ugly film.

But you love blue / orange modern cinematogrphy. 

1 hour ago, Joey said:

Sorry but I will have agree with Neil S Bulk on this. Spectre is an ugly film.

Trekkies have no taste!

51 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

SPECTRE ultimately didn't top Skyfall for me, but it's still a very entertaining Bond flick and certainly Craig's most 'traditional' one to date. 

Why is it so traditional? I mean, Bond made out with a woman of his own age. Isn't that new for the series? Other than that, to me it felt like Mendes simply continued the new, more intens, more Bourn-ish route Bond has taken in the last decade or so. If it was traditional I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it.

At least one Trekkie has taste!

All kidding aside, the cinematography of Spectre has been generally praised. I know this by looking at this movie.

Skyfall has only one "traditional" Bond action scene. Right up front. And a few shorter ones.

I would disagree and say that it is a high art Bond movie. With particular stress on those 3 words together high art Bond.

Meaning that for a Bond movie, which is almost the definition of big budget entertainment for the masses, it has genuine artistic ambitions and succeeded in fulfilling most of them. Though at the expense of some other aspects.

It's not in the franchise's DNA though. And it's hardly surprising SPECTRE is a more traditional film.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I haven't seen Neil call SPECTRE ugly anywhere.

And I think it's a very good looking film. Doesn't have same visual artistry and Deakins work on Skyfall, but still very striking.

He did in a post I made about how modern coloring of film is horrid.

On January 26, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Alexcremers said:

Also, Sam Mendes sure knows how to pick his cinematographers. I mean, I love the man, but who missed Roger Deakins?!

Alex

What did you think of Hoyte's photography for the last Nolan joint, Alex?

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I don't think Alex likes anything about that film.

Karol - being passive aggressive

I think they are interesting visually. But not in a show-offy kind of way. He seems to be primarily concerned about creating images that feel genuine. So that you, as an audience, get fooled that whatever you're seeing on screen looks plausible. In that sense, they are really immersive. And that is a completely different mindset from, say, Zack Snyder's. I don't really think that one is better than another, it's a matter of material and context. I don't want Snyder to look like Nolan and he failed miserably at it on Man of Steel. Hope the upcoming film looks more like Watchmen.

Karol

On 26/01/2016 at 8:14 PM, Alexcremers said:

Trekkies have no taste!

Why is it so traditional? I mean, Bond made out with a woman of his own age. Isn't that new for the series? Other than that, to me it felt like Mendes simply continued the new, more intens, more Bourn-ish route Bond has taken in the last decade or so. If it was traditional I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it.

Gunbarrel sequence back at the start of the film.

A male 'M', initially exasperated by Bond but ultimately supportive of him.

Jokes/stunts that wouldn't have looked out of place in a Moore Bond (the 'airbag' gag and escaping the Aston via an inbuilt parachute during the car chase, for example).

Bond's leading lady actually surviving until the end of the film (I know Camille did in QOS, but they never had sex) and 'riding off into the sunset' with him.    

And so on. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Ironic since the Moore era never featured SPECTRE.

and yet Moore's Bond killed Blofeld in For Your Eyes Only.

The Abyss

Ambitious and huge, The Abyss ultimately fails to enthrall because it tries to be two movies at once. On the one hand, it wants to be a paranoid action thriller aboard a submarine (think Crimson Tide from six years later), but at the same time, it also wants to be Close Encounters of the Third Kind under water. The movie is very poorly paced, starting and stopping its narrative flow constantly, while also occassionally making odd jumps in its storytelling, just for the sake of moving the plot along. The film looks amazing and it must have been a bitch to shoot (it was), but the end result is a mixed bag.

Cinderella 

The 2015 live-action adaptation of Cinderella has some nice visuals and some of the most gorgeous costumes I've seen in a long time. Cate Blanchett is nicely wicked and Helena Bonham Carter seems to enjoy herself for all of the ten minutes she's onscreen. But that's about it. It's a movie that dutifully goes through all the beats of the story, all beats we already know. There's no surprise in this film anywhere. If you've never seen or heard a Cinderella story, you could watch this. Or watch the 1950 animated feature this movie constantly rips off - er... "pays homage to". Eh.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Cinderella 

The 2015 live-action adaptation of Cinderella has some nice visuals and some of the most gorgeous costumes I've seen in a long time. Cate Blanchett is nicely wicked and Helena Bonham Carter seems to enjoy herself for all of the ten minutes she's onscreen. But that's about it. It's a movie that dutifully goes through all the beats of the story, all beats we already know. There's no surprise in this film anywhere. If you've never seen or heard a Cinderella story, you could watch this. Or watch the 1950 animated feature this movie constantly rips off - er... "pays homage to". Eh.

You forgot the wonderful Derek Jacobi and Doyle's score, his best in years probably. But most of the rest is hard to stomach.

13 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Gunbarrel sequence back at the start of the film.

A male 'M', initially exasperated by Bond but ultimately supportive of him.

Jokes/stunts that wouldn't have looked out of place in a Moore Bond (the 'airbag' gag and escaping the Aston via an inbuilt parachute during the car chase, for example).

Bond's leading lady actually surviving until the end of the film (I know Camille did in QOS, but they never had sex) and 'riding off into the sunset' with him.    

And so on. 

Despite having a few or more old ingredients, it didn't feel like a Roger Moore film to me. Sam Mendes is still using the same vocabulary to tell the (traditional) story. It's still Bond rebooted (fortunately).

15 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Somehow it did not do anything for me. I really can't remember much more than cornfields and space. I felt Hoyte was more playful (with colors and light) in Spectre. I do like what I'm seeing in The Prestige (Wally Pfister), which of course was a lot more lavish in looks (and not so "genuine" as crocs is trying to tell us).

9 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The Abyss

Ambitious and huge, The Abyss ultimately fails to enthrall because it tries to be two movies at once. On the one hand, it wants to be a paranoid action thriller aboard a submarine (think Crimson Tide from six years later), but at the same time, it also wants to be Close Encounters of the Third Kind under water. The movie is very poorly paced, starting and stopping its narrative flow constantly, while also occassionally making odd jumps in its storytelling, just for the sake of moving the plot along. The film looks amazing and it must have been a bitch to shoot (it was), but the end result is a mixed bag.

I understand the monumental work that went into making The Abyss, but it's always been a frustrating snooze for me. This along with Avatar are my least favourite Cameron flicks.