What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, Drax said:

I understand the monumental work that went into making The Abyss, but it's always been a frustrating snooze for me. This along with Avatar are my least favourite Cameron flicks.

that is because you cannot relate to the emotion of the film.

remember you are dead inside.

It's time captain.

Yes...time indeed.

The Hunt for Red October

still ticks all the boxes and more. Where to begin? Probably one of my favourite starts to a movie with the cold inlet, the close-up of Connery's face, the quiet blowing Arctic wind and the gradual build of the Hymn and on from there. Musically the film is excellent -highlights being Ancestral Aid (Just ties into the scene when all hell breaks loose, the sirens, alarms and mayhem), Nuclear Scam and the aforementioned Hymn to name a few at least. The cast also is something else, Connery, Neill, Baldwin, Glenn, Curry, Ackland and Richard Jordan (brilliant in his little screen time.) Personally, I think it's one of Connery's finer performances. Little moments nowadays I tend to latch onto- his expression after Borodin's "What about the singing?", the look of concern then to hell with it. Or his little smile as he catches the cup when Red October begins her journey through the canyons, his tired "Shut up!" to the whiny navigator and even his response to Mancuso's comment about turning into the torpedo's path: "Yes" (way it's said more than anything).

In fact the film's got a film quotable lines ("You arrogant ass! You killed us!") though most come from Connery, Glenn and Jordan ("You've lost another submarine?").

Of all the films, it's the closest to the book as it can get (in contrast, both Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger have massive parts either missing or changed about.). The one little thing I'm not mad on was Borodin dying (though he gets a good parting line).

Solid 5/5

Yeah people never want to know why you liked something, because things are liked by default. But if you didn't like something, a detailed explanation must be provided.

It just bored me to tears. Like every other submarine thriller I've struggled through. Well I guess I can pretend to like it if that will help me fit into the crowd and make people happy.

On 26/01/2016 at 4:26 PM, Alexcremers said:

Also, Sam Mendes sure knows how to pick his cinematographers. I mean, I love the man, but who missed Roger Deakins?!

Me! I found Hoytema's imagery (apart from a few striking compositions) dreary, monochromatic and lacking in dynamic range.

I honestly don't get the love for Spectre. Bond-by-rote.

That's just it. There is no glove for Spectre. The man on the street hates it. That's why I went in expecting nothing. There are weaknesses but the cinematography isn't one of them.

Alex - who likes the monochromacity of Spectre

SPECTRE's current box-office haul is 877.5 million, with the doubtless lucrative DVD/on-demand release to follow next month. Admittedly it will likely still fall short of Skyfall's billion-plus, but regardless of this it's hardly a flop . And expecting it to have done similar business to the 50th anniversary film would probably have been foolish anyway.     

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

SPECTRE's current box-office haul is 877.5 million, with the doubtless lucrative DVD/on-demand release to follow next month. Admittedly it will likely still fall short of Skyfall's billion-plus, but regardless of this it's hardly a flop . And expecting it to have done similar business to the 50th anniversary film would probably have been foolish anyway.     

Jeezuz, admittedly and likely?  NO. It WILL fall well short of Skyfall's totals. There is no life remaining in its boxoffice potential. 

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

It's not bad. Certainly not great, though. 

The novel is much better but the film is fine.

5 hours ago, Joey said:

Jeezuz, admittedly and likely?  NO. It WILL fall well short of Skyfall's totals. There is no life remaining in its boxoffice potential. 

Yadda yadda yadda, blah de blah de blah. The point myself and Steef were making stands ... it's still a sizeable box-office hit. 

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yadda yadda yadda, blah de blah de blah. The point myself and Steef were making stands ... it's still a sizeable box-office hit. 

OMG another stupid Seinfeld quote failure.

Skyfall, #14 All time worldwide

Spectre #41 All time worldwide.

Yes sizeable box office hits but one of these things is not like the other.  

but hey with dyslexia they are practically the same.

Wasn't quoting Seinfeld. Much prefer Curb Your Enthusiasm myself. And seeing as I have remembered that someone actually changing their mind due to an internet argument is about as rare as rocking-horse shit, I'm done with this particular one.  

13 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Wasn't quoting Seinfeld. Much prefer Curb Your Enthusiasm myself. And seeing as I have remembered that someone actually changing their mind due to an internet argument is about as rare as rocking-horse shit, I'm done with this particular one.  

riiiight,  out you go.

Robin Hood with Costner, it is a mess of a film. Poor Alan and his Hair band hair.

i did like the lepper joke, is this your finger.

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Still the worst Trek score!

No its better than 5 6 7 8 9 and 10 and let's not forget MG'S mediocre scores those are the worst.

They all pale in comparison to 1 2 and 3. 

MG epically failed. But considering his overrated "talent"....

Rosenman's score is better than most of the Giacchino music.  It's better than much of Insurrection, except the theme, better than some of 6.  It's certainly not better than any of the others.  Sure it's richly written music but it's cold to me.  And there are some really obnoxious moments.