What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

North Country

1297141142-m_zpsc4rxvvou.jpg

This movie (about sexual harassment at work) is watchable yet so simplistic and explicit that it's nothing more than a TV movie with big names. 4/10

Alex

Born on the Fourth of July

Tom Cruise gives an excellent performance as Ron Kovic, a self-proclaimed patriot who eventually becomes disillusioned with the Vietnam war and the US administration responsible for the war. It's a story that likely mirrors the reaction of a lot of people, but seeing a gung-ho volunteer Marine turn into a protesting veteran should be dramatic.

Except the movie is hampered by its own preachiness. War is pointless. Yes, I get it. Oliver Stone likely feels very strongly about this, being a Vietnam veteran himself and having already made Platoon, where he explores the tug of good and evil on a soldier in war. But this story overstays its welcome and hammers its point home. John Williams' score is basically a main theme repeated ad nauseum, adding to the tediousness of the film.

Bad Neighbours

What sounds like fun comedy on paper is ruined by its overdependence on improv. It's lazy comedy writing that has to be saved by the actors and the editor. What follows is a lot of riffing that goes nowhere and maybe one or two actual jokes in the entire film. A missed opportunity.

41 minutes ago, Woj said:

Yes. It's called Neighbors Again. 

Neighbors 2, Sorority Rising.

Point Break - the original. Bloody preposterous, of course (Johnny UTAH? REALLY?!?).

But undeniably fun ... 25 years on the action sequences still exhilarate, Lori Petty is cute as a button, and where else are you gonna see Anthony Kiedis from out of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers get shot in the foot? 

The remake is apparently po-faced crap. Without the Reeves/Swayze bromance, that's not a surprise.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Point Break - the original. Bloody preposterous, of course (Johnny UTAH? REALLY?!?).

Oh go fu....

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

But undeniably fun ...

Hey, you're alright.

The Homesman 

homesman-590x308_zpsartlugef.jpg

The Homesman (2014) is a Revisionist Western in the fine tradition of the '60s and '70s , my favorite Western genre. I liked this one better than the similar (but more sensationalist) Bone Tomahawk that I've seen recently. Gee, I'm a bit of a fan of director Tommy Lee Jones, I think. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada was also a worthy effort. Thanks, Netflix ! 7/10

Alex

9 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Oh go fu....

Hey, you're alright.

Hehehe, thanks. I like the idea of the writers mulling over other names for Reeves' character like 'Billy Texas', 'David Idaho' and 'Chris California' before settling on 'Johnny Utah' as (somehow) the least unlikely one.  

Plunged far back into the murk for Tension at Table Rock.

aside from a Tionkin score, a pre-Star Trek DeForest Kelly and a young Angie Dickinson it was a bit flat. Well, it was what flat aspires to be.

Watching IT! A very interesting movie. Part Jewish Lore/Monster and part Hitchcock. Beautifully shot with realistic colors of the English countryside. Roddy MacDowall (McDowell) as listed in the film plays crazy to the hilt but with a touch of remorse. Definitely not a great movie by any means, but a movie I am found of nonetheless.  The story of the Golem has always facinated me.

Next up Universal's classic The Werewolf of London. The film opens in Tibet which is represented in the film by the Vasquez Rocks of Southern California.

What is that? Never heard of it.

I recently picked up IT! (1971), The Spider (1958), and The Colossus of New York (1958).

Black Swan

Aside from the stunning 16mm photography and Natalie Portman's Oscar-winning performance, the movie is off-putting. (Barbara Hershey's performance veers into sheer camp however.) Casting Mila Kunis as Nina's rival also compounds the problem, she is miscast. I could not buy Kunis as a ballet dancer, all I could see was Jackie from "That '70s Show." In places, you can tell Darren Aronofsky took cues from The Red Shoes, but it is nowhere as iconic or haunting.

I watched The Towering Inferno last night. Never had I seen so many Golden/Silver Age stars cark it so brutally in a movie. Robert Wagner ran straight into a blaze, Susan Flannery got blown out a window, Jennifer Jones fell out of an elevator, and Richard Chamberlain fell off a rescue chair in a mad panic, and I think Robert Vaughn fell out the window trying to stop Chamberlain from getting into that chair.

Fucking amazing movie.

23 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Universal is making a new movie that includes all of their classic movie monsters.

Not exactly.

Blue Velvet

According to the kid the movie can be seen/viewed as a prequel to Twin Peaks, and I must say, I don't disagree with him.

tumblr_n649r34oex1r52he3o1_500.gif

Alex

On 2/8/2016 at 7:59 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Double feature tonight.

81%2BebrESqBL._SL1500_.jpg

Much better than Frantic. Chinatown is a movie that I never seem to get tired of, even though it doesn't rank all that high on all-time favorite list.

On 8/2/2016 at 9:13 AM, Drax said:

I watched The Towering Inferno last night. Never had I seen so many Golden/Silver Age stars cark it so brutally in a movie. Robert Wagner ran straight into a blaze, Susan Flannery got blown out a window, Jennifer Jones fell out of an elevator, and Richard Chamberlain fell off a rescue chair in a mad panic, and I think Robert Vaughn fell out the window trying to stop Chamberlain from getting into that chair.

Fucking amazing movie.

Yes, it's a very good movie but I think if it was shorter it would be even better..

Zoolander - still a hoot. Had utterly forgotten about David Duchovny being in it riffing on his Mulder persona, so it was a weird coincidence watching this in the week the X-Files returned to TV. Had also forgotten about Trump's cameo; back then he seemed slightly more benign and the hair seemed more, erm ... human. And obviously David Bowie's cameo was poignant. 

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Yes, it's a very good movie but I think if it was shorter it would be even better..

Yeah, I definitely felt its length, but it's a cool movie. Robert Wagner's death was the best, I remember it being a total "dumb movie character" moment but visually still pretty insane! And Johnny especially nailed that one.

Ocean's Eleven

A fun heist flick with a great cast. The charisma drips from the screen and the way Soderbergh guides the viewer through the twists and turns of the plot is quite good. Fun times at the cinema.

Total Recall

Well, they don't make 'em like this anymore. Arnold Schwarzenegger as an average Joe who turns out to be an action hero, fantastic make-up effects by Rob Bottin, a killer Jerry Goldsmith score and ridiculous over the top violence. It turns what's actually a clever little script into a testosterone-filled action romp and I love every second of it.

Ocean's Twelve

A nice try, but when you suck all the fun out of a heist movie, this is what you end up with. Nice to hear some proper Dutch in an American production, though.

Home Alone

Still a classic. And enjoyable even when it isn't Christmas!

The School of Rock

Jack Black plays the part he was born to play. It's nothing deep or artful, but it's a fun way to waste an hour and a half of your time.

Star Trek: Nemesis

I won't say this film is underrated or over-bashed. I will say, though, that it is a guilty pleasure. Despite its many, many issues, there are some aspects I will defend. For instance, Hardy is good, even if everyone compares him to Dr. Evil because of the RLM review. He actually gives a better performance than Stewart, who is just baffling here. He was decidedly over-the-top and not his TV self in the previous two films, but here he just seems so tired and bored. It's the complete opposite approach and I prefer the former, because he at least seems to be into it.

Here's an awesome moment. When Shinzon says to deploy the weapon looking all ghoulish, he leans back in his chair and in the shadows looks like his normal self, delivering my favorite line (''Some ideals are worth dying for, aren't they, Jean-Luc?''). It's very subtle, just superb. I love that shot! I also dig on the space battle, which I think holds up. It isn't better, but it is more dynamic than the previous Trek ship battles, bordering on Abrams with some crazy shit like the view screen being destroyed and the Enterprise crashing into the Scimitar. I prefer it to the more frenetic Abrams space battles that everyone gushes over. Nemesis is somewhere in between those and the old-school Trek battles.

The ending is such a downer, like much of the film, but I really like the deleted alternate ending. That one at least ends with the Enterprise sailing off as opposed to sitting in drydock, and it's fun rather than depressing and boring, which Nemesis mostly is.