What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

If you believe in a god that created the world, then yes, we would be art, I suppose. After all, not a single one is the same.

Then why do you all like The Avengers?

The circle is complete.

If you believe in a god that created the world, then yes, we would be art, I suppose. After all, not a single one is the same.

Then why do you all like The Avengers?

The circle is complete.

God created me, so I am art, I just laid a huge stinking turd in the toilet. that is art.

Transformers 3 is not art though.

My poo is.

But not Transformers 3.

I'm not sure who acquired the authority to use "art" and "good art" interchangeably. Once a piece of "bad art" or "art so shameful I should kick it out of bed at 3 in the morning without paying" comes along, it ceases to be "art" at all.

Because I don't respect that person's authority.

Saw Dark Shadows. Not great, but damn I thoroughly enjoyed it. You can see the flaws in the film as it's schizo. It's never sure if it's a camp love fest or a thriller.

Johnny Depp owns another role. He's easily one of the top actors of this generation. I'd love to see him play normal sometime. There is no telling how he'd warp that.

I saw Dark Shadows at its midnight premiere last night. It was a very weird movie, even for Tim Burton. Felt like a combination of all these different genres and atmospheres that didn't always mesh very naturally.

It's flunked on Rotten Tomatoes (43%). It's gotten even less than Alice in Wonderland (51%). Burton ain't got it no more?

It looks about as awful as that old Leslie Neilsen dracula spoof. I'll avoid it like the plague for the rest of my life. I'm bored with Depp and these sorts of roles he was adores.

It's flunked on Rotten Tomatoes (43%). It's gotten even less than Alice in Wonderland (51%). Burton ain't got it no more?

I thought it was about on part with Alice in Wonderland, maybe a little better. And I dunno, I don't think Burton ever had "it" very consistently. He almost has as many bad movies as he does good ones.

It looks about as awful as that old Leslie Neilsen dracula spoof. I'll avoid it like the plague for the rest of my life. I'm bored with Depp and these sorts of roles he was adores.

I'm with Koray, I adore that movie.

"Mina, you are in the closet"

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Mel Stuart, Roald Dahl - 1971

Not bad. The musical songs were quite catchy and the child actors were good. Gene Wilder gave an insanely mad portrayal of Mr. Wonka, and it worked quite well. Some scenes were a bit boring and weird.

It's (obviously) directed more to kids, so i had to force myself a few times not to think too far. The plot is close to the book, and so is the clothing, etc... I wouldn't say it's better than Burton's film, they both have their good and bad points.

8/10

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Mel Stuart, Roald Dahl - 1971

Not bad. The musical songs were quite catchy and the child actors were good. Gene Wilder gave an insanely mad portrayal of Mr. Wonka, and it worked quite well. Some scenes were a bit boring and weird.

It's (obviously) directed more to kids, so i had to force myself a few times not to think too far. The plot is close to the book, and so is the clothing, etc... I wouldn't say it's better than Burton's film, they both have their good and bad points.

8/10

I liked the score, sounds a bit like williams's Superman quiet material sound.

I've never been a huge Burton fan, but his earlier works had originality and freshness going for them. In recent years, it's felt like more of the same schtick. I got bored partway through his Alice in Wonderland and stopped watching. It doesn't help that Elfman's scores for his films have been similarly tired. I haven't seen Dark Shadows, though.

I got bored partway through his Alice in Wonderland and stopped watching.

Me too ... I felt that Burton treated me like a kid.

And talking about Danny Elfman, yesterday I also sorta stopped watching The Wolfman (the one with Del Toro and Hopkins). One of the worst movies ever, I'm afraid.

Alex

Burton will churn out a great one every couple years or so. I expect Frankenweenie to semi-return to his better days. I really liked Corpse Bride, but it was definitely no Nightmare Before Christmas.

I got bored partway through his Alice in Wonderland and stopped watching.

Me too ... I felt that Burton treated me like a kid.

And talking about Danny Elfman, yesterday I also sorta stopped watching The Wolfman (the one with Del Toro and Hopkins). One of the worst movies ever, I'm afraid.

Alex

Hehe, The Wolfman was on TV here yesterday evening.

The Five-Year Engagement

I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I didn't realize Segel also wrote the screenplay, and that it was directed by Nicholas Stoller. Actually really knew nothing about it other than that Segel starred, but a friend said this or Think Like A Man, and this was the obvious choice. Really great character drama with a hefty mix of comedy. Less vulgar than your usual Apatow-produced flick, but much more serious as well, I think. His productions always have a nice air of realism in the relationships and characters, and this is no different. Segel is most likely my favorite comedic actor working today, I have yet to not enjoy his work. The film is overlong, another symptom of Apatow productions, and you really feel the 124 minutes. It takes its time to get going and has a pretty long second act. With a bit of fine-tuned editing, this could have been a much tighter film. Either way though, it has got plenty of laughs and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Watching Sweeney Todd a second time was one of my best film experiences from the last 5 years. It certainly is pretty close to 'greatness' in my opinion. The only thing that might hold it from that is Helena Bonham Carter and her pies (more particularly the song about it). Other than that, wow!

The film looks truly wonderful in HD. It's probably one of those films that one really needs to see on a big screen, most preferably in a theater.

Alex

Sweeney Todd is possibly a contender for Burton's best looking film, but damn did I struggle to get into it. I just found the non-stop singing exposition to be really, really hard work, jarringly so. But eventually, after nearly an hour of fidgeting in my seat, I began to get into the rhythm of the narrative; instead of fighting the musicality I was being carried along by it, there was an operatic flow from one scene to the next and by the end I felt I'd had a very satisfying experience. But I couldn't ignore that uncomfortable first hour when deciding it was a four out of five film.

I struggled for 15 minutes the first time but had no problem getting into it the last time I saw it. In fact, I was sold from the moment the first frame appeared on the screen. The music is gorgeous: With its mood being sad and dramatic, it forms a beautiful, heartbreaking contrast with the somber and gloomy atmosphere of the rest of the film. Burton's Sweeney Todd definitely is a far cry from the usual musical fair. I also like that this is another Burton film where there are basically no characters to root for (Charlie is another one). Again, unusual.

The Blu-ray is cheap so get it the next time you see it!

Alex

I adore the musical, and couldn't help but be tacken aback by the lackluster, soft singing. Probably not a really fair judgement, but I really did miss the operatic singing of the stage production. All the songs sounded half baked it the movie, It looked great though

Not "half-baked" but a matter of taste. One of the reasons why I'm not into musicals (movies and on stage) is their typical musical way of singing. In real musicals, it's more about the stars than about anything else. I accept it here because the non-trained vocals sound so intimate and breakable. I can imagine that for fans of musicals, divas and power voices, Sweeney Todd must be a strange movie indeed.

Alex

I hate divas and power voices, but Len Cariou and specially Angela Landsbury make those songs glow. Depp was alright, but Bonham Carter's singing was just embarassing

I don't think the exaggerated nature of musicals has anything to do about stars, I think it's more a matter of logistics. People in the back of the theatre aren't going to catch a lot of subtleties. Of course the style is also appreciated in itself, but again I'm not sure that has anything to do with the stars. For Sweeney Todd, I think both approaches work for their mediums (granted I haven't seen the play, but I do own the cast recording). I wouldn't have Burton's Sweeney Todd any other way, stylistically speaking. But Bonham-Carter definitely should have gotten somebody else to supply the singing voice. That's not a matter of subtlety or intimacy, it's a matter of music.

I enjoyed Sweeney Todd. I first saw it with a bunch of musical theater geeks, and they were understandably distraught about the singing, but I felt more like Alexcremers did - the less professional vocals actually lend a certain vulnerability to the music. And the orchestral backing is excellent throughout, anyway.

I'm also disappointed that they got rid of the melodic line in the main titles ("attend the tale of Sweeney Todd"). It's pretty important to the rest of the score, being the introduction of the Dies Irae. It would also be cool to hear an instrumental version of it.

Indeed, Indy. It's like the main titles only used the ostinato from the Ballad and ignored nearly all of the main melodic line. And the use of of the Ballad throughout the play is a powerful dramatic device, very similar to a Greek play

Agreed. I do think the ostinato is effective--to me is sounds like a flowing liquid (blood)--but I think it could be more effective with the line.

And the orchestral backing is excellent throughout, anyway.

Of course, and it's also the only place (orchestra) where I expect 'trained' musicians.

But Bonham-Carter definitely should have gotten somebody else to supply the singing voice. That's not a matter of subtlety or intimacy, it's a matter of music.

You know that all the actors do their own singing. Making Bonham Carter the only one lip-syncing to another voice is not only crude, it's fake. These days people no longer except these practices. Bad idea.