What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Amenabar's score was also pretty classy. I think it wipes the floor with the latest generation of Euro-lite film composers (ex. Fernando Velazquez, Roque Banos, etc etc).

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Darabont [originally] wanted it in black and white. It's the only version I've seen and it's great. 

Dat gimmick factor doe.

The Mist is a good movie, I own the blu (some people I've loaned it to in real life hated it funnily enough), it pulls off the fifties paranoia homage rather well. The studio were right to overule Darabont IMO, it looks good in colour. The schlock comes through pretty wonderfully without the B&W actually, there's something rather TV about it which I like. 

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Interesting.  Maybe I should see that.

You haven't seen The Others yet? That's pretty criminal!

13 hours ago, Michael said:

Hateful is much better in my opinion. Like Tarantino knew what he was doing this time, Django feels like he threw everything western-related he liked into one basket.

Agreed. Inglourious Basterds is probably Tarantino's best, in my opinion, and it reminded me so much of Sergio Leone that I said I'd like Tarantino to do a Western next when we left the theatre. And then he actually announced one - but I found Django rather underwhelming. Nice enough, sure, and I expect I'll appreciate it more once I re-watch it on Blu, but it never actually grabbed me, and Waltz's repeat of his Landa role, only without that one's dark edge, was too goofy for me.

Hateful Eight on the other hand was brilliant. (And funnily enough, Tim Roth seems to have the goofy Waltz role there, but this time it fits the film)

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Dat gimmick factor doe.

The Mist is a good movie, I own the blu (some people I've loaned it to in real life hated it funnily enough), it pulls off the fifties paranoia homage rather well. The studio were right to overule Darabont IMO, it looks good in colour. The schlock comes through pretty wonderfully without the B&W actually, there's something rather TV about it which I like. 

I saw about 20 minutes of the color version somewhere before I actually sat down and watched the film proper, and from that little snippet, the black-and-white version greatly improves the bad CGI and gives a lot of great contrast to the cinematography. If you're a fan of the film it's worth checking out, in my opinion. 

I dunno, I thought the CGI was pretty effective, for a B-movie. I wasn't bothered that it might not have appeared "photo realistic" in the same way Bruce looks fake in Jaws I suppose. 

But ... wasn't that part of the B movie deal?

BTW, Darabont's original B&W intentions weren't meant to be arty, they were meant to be referring to the old 'B' monster movies.

I know. It's been a while since I watched it, and I get the whole B-movie schtick, but I remember thinking the ending never really fit that mould for me.

14 minutes ago, KK. said:

I know. It's been a while since I watched it, and I get the whole B-movie schtick, but I remember thinking the ending never really fit that mould for me.

I didn't even like the ending the first time I watched it, but the second time, I thought it was the only way to end this movie.

Stephen King on the movie's ending (which supposed to be very different from the book):

It is the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last five minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead.

12 hours ago, KK. said:

Amenabar's score was also pretty classy. I think it wipes the floor with the latest generation of Euro-lite film composers (ex. Fernando Velazquez, Roque Banos, etc etc).

I adore Amenábar's score for The Sea Inside. I like Baños, not that familiar with Velázquez.

23 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I enjoy the film, although it's a bit heavy handed in terms of its social message. But then, what do I expect from a horror movie?

Karol

Is it heavy-handed or is it satire? In a way, The Mist could be a companion piece to Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers. There's even something similar in the direction.

Alex

33 minutes ago, crocodile said:

But that was exactly the problem with this film.

Karol

Not if you see it in a satirical way, which I don't think you did. It's only when you take it seriously that it becomes heavy-handed.

The ending of the film is badass!

King has said he prefers the film ending and would have had his version end that way if he had come up with it.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Agreed. Inglourious Basterds is probably Tarantino's best, in my opinion, and it reminded me so much of Sergio Leone that I said I'd like Tarantino to do a Western next when we left the theatre. And then he actually announced one - but I found Django rather underwhelming. Nice enough, sure, and I expect I'll appreciate it more once I re-watch it on Blu, but it never actually grabbed me, and Waltz's repeat of his Landa role, only without that one's dark edge, was too goofy for me.

Hateful Eight on the other hand was brilliant. (And funnily enough, Tim Roth seems to have the goofy Waltz role there, but this time it fits the film)

That's pretty spot-on. I've had little to no inclination to revisit Django Unchained since I last saw it (which was once, during its theatrical run). But I love Inglorious Basterds and I think I'd rather sit down and go through all of The Hateful Eight (which I loved) again than watch Django Unchained. That movie just didn't click with me the way the other two did.

400 Days

400days-16x9_zps0ju5dhzf.jpg

A B-movie but sadly not a good one. The cast is simply unbelievable (in a negative way) and everything is predictable. It's strange how Brandon Routh still is a bit Supes to me. No really, he wasn't so bad. Maybe even better than Cavill.

Alex

17 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

That's pretty spot-on. I've had little to no inclination to revisit Django Unchained since I last saw it (which was once, during its theatrical run). But I love Inglorious Basterds and I think I'd rather sit down and go through all of The Hateful Eight (which I loved) again than watch Django Unchained. That movie just didn't click with me the way the other two did.

IB made me stop watching his films for six years. It's uneven, disingenuous, superficial and plain flat. Vacuous show-off filmmaking at its worst.

Karol

I like that one more than some of the more celebrated later installments.

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think it's definitely his best.

I don't know, I bet there's some hipsters out there who would equate that opinion with owning only "greatest hits" albums from Bob Dylan and The Beatles.

2 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I don't know, I bet there's some hipsters out there who would equate that opinion with owning only "greatest hits" albums from Bob Dylan and The Beatles.

Only the truly enlightened know that My Best Friend's Birthday and The Man From Hollywood are the best things he ever did!

8 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

So no one here likes Pulp Fiction enough to call it his best or even rank it other than me?

Was just ranking the three movies mentioned in the conversation.

Not sure if I'd call it his best, but it's definitely in his Top 3.

I need to see all his films again to rank them.  But his original trilogy of present-day-set-crime-dramas are worlds apart from his recent set-in-the-past-and-really-long western-style pics.  With Kill Bill and Death Proof  being a kind of middle of both styles

On 2/20/2016 at 8:51 PM, nightscape94 said:

Meh.

YES.

Why 'meh'? Badly directed? Poorly written? Bad actors? Not enough comedy for ya? Speak up, man!

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Idiot!

I guess you haven't read the board's rules?

6 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie

Still pretty funny.  

The last time SpongeBob was truly funny.

As for QT's entire filmography, it's tough to rank the best but Django Unchained is probably at the bottom, for me, despite DiCaprio's and Waltz's terrific performances.