What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I never got the feeling that Inception was claiming some high concept or being condescending to its audience.  It's just a neat idea executed with clarity in the direction.

Why would Inception be condescending to its audience? I never heard that before.

I always thought Inception is like a labyrinth designed to make people feel smart if they find the exit. This is quite the opposite to being condescending (or is it?)

Alex

Point Break (1991)

Ridiculous, poorly acted and dumb. In retrospect, I think I only watched it because of the reference in Hot Fuzz. Then again, they kept mentioning it in the same sentences as Bad Boys II, so I guess I had this coming.

15 hours ago, Sharky said:

I thought at its core, Inception had a neat Borgesian love story that was sidelined in favour of a videogame heist. A simple idea over-embellished in plot mechanics, as in the case of Interstellar.

That was my main issue with it. From the moment it turned into a Bond style actioner in the snow I was instantly reminded of the Call of Duty Modern Warfare games and how derivative it all was. In the aftermath people here kept telling me how classy it all was and I was like really? To me the movie let itself down. Oh, and the exxxxxxposiiiiiiitiiiiionnnnn. 

41 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The recent remake is even worse apparently 

That might even help. Apart from Keanu Reeves' acting, the movie wasn't bad enough to slip into the entertaining schlock category. It was just bad.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The chase was good, as was the final bank robbery. And I'll admit the skydiving scenes were very well done. But it's all without substance.

:lol: 

It's an action thriller movie, not Tarkovsky.

Tried THIN RED LINE again. If i had to describe it in one word, it would be untidy. Words are Malick's curse, images his blessing and there are quite a few that stay. Why on earth he doesn't do experimental docs about nature mysticism & men's nature etc. with just images, sound and music is beyond me - he is obviously not interested in anything besides it.

Zimmer and gang halfway make sense out of the existenzialist mess in front of them musically but one stays perplexed at all the resources put behind something so half-baked. Well...

12 hours ago, Woj said:

So I'm going to assume you never read Jaws or Forrest Gump or The Godfather. The movies are superior. 

Correct, never read those.

In the past 20 years, I've read like 5 books.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

With a main character called Johnny Utah who comes from Ohio, the movie tells you everything you need to know about it. A great movie if you approach it the right way!

Point Break may be ridiculous, but it's ridiculous fun.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

It's hilarious.

With a main character called Johnny Utah who comes from Ohio, the movie tells you everything you need to know about it. A great movie if you approach it the right way!

I seem to have wandered into a thread where the greatness of Point Break is being called into question. 

Compulsion (1959)

Like Rope, this one is also based on the infamous Leopold and Loeb case, and, again, like Rope, it is superb. Superb performances from Orson Welles, E.G. Marshall, Dean Stockwell and especially Bradford Dillman, who, as the ringleader of the dastardly duo, is as good as John Dall in Rope. Richard Fleischer made so many great films, but this is right up there.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Tried THIN RED LINE again. If i had to describe it in one word, it would be untidy. Words are Malick's curse, images his blessing and there are quite a few that stay. Why on earth he doesn't do experimental docs about nature mysticism & men's nature etc. with just images, sound and music is beyond me - he is obviously not interested in anything besides it.

Zimmer and gang halfway make sense out of the existenzialist mess in front of them musically but one stays perplexed at all the resources put behind something so half-baked. Well...

Never entirely worked for me either. 

Cloud Atlas

I don't think my opinion about any other film fluctuates as much as it does of this one.  This time, I thought it was quite good and moving despite preachy moments.  The score is phenomenal, sublime. 

9 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

My favorite war picture. 

One of my favorite pictures.

13 hours ago, publicist said:

You should be looking forward to Voyage Of Time, then!

Mission Impossible : Rogue Nation - probably the most enjoyable MI movie since the first one, although after all the spectacular setpieces there's something possibly a little flat about how bad guy Sean Harris is finally neutralised.

SPECTRE - not without its flaws, but overall still very enjoyable Bond. Happy to call it Craig's 2nd best, after Skyfall.  

On 2/26/2016 at 0:38 PM, Romão said:

Inception is terrific blockbuster cinema. Not more than that. But not less either

To be honest, I miss a ton of stuff from it. It introduces things like the folding city that are never put to use.

Or the look of the characters. I know people like it, but what if it looked like a retrofuturist 30's gangster movie? I dunno.

The characters themselves I think lack charisma and personality. You can barely describe Ariadne as "the girl", although that often happens with women in Nolan's movies.

At least, unlike Interstellar, it has a sense of narrative progression to a climax. Interstellar is a film that goes around in circles nor knowing what to do. I think Nolan should try another space movie.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

Well, whatever Nolan does, one cannot accuse him of not inspiring debates over the content of his movies. Again and again and again. 

Like the Star Wars Prequels.

Slow West

Slow-West-New-Poster-1_zpsejyj2bus.jpg

Unconventional, stylish Western with wonderful, breathtaking landscapes, weird lenses and arty approach. The actors do their best but feel somewhat secondary and occasionally there is something about the credibility of their actions. All in all, nice to have seen once, but it's not a keeper. 6/10

59660_zps5lqjrzwg.jpg

Alex