What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It can be done in an unnoticeable way. The two leads in West Side Story didn't sing and it didn't affect the film.

It can be done in an unnoticeable way. The two leads in West Side Story didn't sing and it didn't affect the film.

Like I said, we live in a time were things like these are being punished. Artists faking to sing ... People won't except it. Besides, I think her style of singing fits the low-life character she plays. Sondheim himself didn't object to her either. It's not always about singing 'beautiful'.

I definitely prefer Carter did her own vocals. I enjoyed the aesthetic she brought to it. To me, it feels authentic. Not perfectly musically trained, but it has a grime to it or an unpolished feel that seems essential to Ms. Lovett's character, especially given the film's dirty settings.

Deathly Hallows Part II. It just didn't seem as well-made as the others. The first 45 minutes or so were, as the Joker would say, so...BORING. However, there was definitely some good stuff later on. The various showdowns, Voldemort hugging Draco and the "everything blows up" ending were pretty entertaining. Once again, the highlight is some type of flashback expository scene.

Like I said, we live in a time were things like these are being punished. Artists faking to sing ... People won't except it.

That doesn't make it the right decision. These days the public wants Transformers-style action movies with little substance.

Besides, I think her style of singing fits the low-life character she plays. Sondheim himself didn't object to her either. It's not always about singing 'beautiful'.

I definitely prefer Carter did her own vocals. I enjoyed the aesthetic she brought to it. To me, it feels authentic. Not perfectly musically trained, but it has a grime to it or an unpolished feel that seems essential to Ms. Lovett's character, especially given the film's dirty settings.

Perhaps it seemed more realistic to the character, but I think that when you're watching a musical, where people suddenly start singing and dancing in a perfectly choreographed fashion, some of the realism has to be sacrificed for spectacle. I just wish they took it one step further and hired somebody who actually knew how to sing.

1. The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination,( typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture.....)

2. I'm teaching about west side story in school and I constantly have to draw the students attention to Bernstein's score as a way to wordlessly let the audience know Tony is thinking of Maria. It's like the kids totally tune out all music in the show unless it's in your face.

But it's not like Angela Landsbury gave Miss Lovett an opera-like voice. It's actually very workmanlike, very cockney. It fit the character perfectly while still being well sung

That doesn't make it the right decision. These days the public wants Transformers-style action movies with little substance.

It is what it is. Blame Milli Vanilli! It certainly is a better decision than to have every actor do their own singing except for one.This kind of deceiving might have fooled the audience 50 years ago but it doesn't work anymore. The audience's perception has changed. At least it's honest now.

I can't believe you're making such a big point of it. How about the other actors in Sweeney Todd? Surely, they are no match for the trained singers on Broadway either. Are you sure you don't have a tiny little problem with the others too?

Again, I'm not sure this movie can really satisfy the musical fan.

Alex

I saw Sweeney Todd at the theater and I thought it was at least a good or quite good film, but I wasn't sure what to think apart from that. I don't remember it much.

I went to see "Sweeny Todd" at my local cinema with a colleague from work, who DIDN'T REALIZE THAT IT WAS A MUSICAL!! (guffaw)

For the first fifteen minutes, he sat there with a look on his face you wouldn't belive. I could tell he wanted to leave, but he'd already promised me a ride home...

Anyway, he perked up when Ali G showed up, and stayed for the rest. He ended up really enjoying it, and so did I. Burton's best work since the magum opus of "Batman Returns".

It's much better than Dark Shadows, that's for sure. Such a "been there, done that", kind of movie. It's a movie where only 3 characters have any relevance whatsoever to the plot, while all the others (and they are quite a few), are simply set dressing, which is one of the few things Burton can do consistently well. And Burton, once again, really struggles with the last 30 minutes. He really has a hard time wrapping up a story.

Mars Attacks also was not very good.

Mars Attacks is fantastic. It's widely bizarre and insane. It's solution is pure Americana and may escape people outside the US.

Johnny Depp owns another role. He's easily one of the top actors of this generation. I'd love to see him play normal sometime. There is no telling how he'd warp that.

You've never seen Nick of Time, Donnie Brasco, Public Enemies, or The Tourist?

The Tourist he played bored and disinterested. He curiously had no chemistry with his co-star.

Public Enemies and Brasco are gangster films, and most who know me well here know I don't do gangster films. I guess you missed that when you had me on ignore all that time. ;)

I've never heard of Nick of Time, sounds interesting though.

The Tourist he played bored and disinterested. He curiously had no chemistry with his co-star.

Agreed completely. I couldn't believe how little chemistry Jolie and Depp had together.

Public Enemies and Brasco are gangster films, and most who know me well here know I don't do gangster films. I guess you missed that when you had me on ignore all that time. ;)

They are both extremely well-made films (well, Donnie Brasco much more so than Public Enemies), the fact that there are criminals as main characters should not deter you from watching.

I've never heard of Nick of Time, sounds interesting though.

It's a pretty interesting movie. The plot is that bad guys kidnap Depp's daughter and will let her go if he assassinates a governor in the next 90 minutes... and the movie is about 90 minutes. The whole thing is is real time. Cool score by Arthur Rubinstein. Directed by John Badham (the Dracula that Williams scored, Blue Thunder, WarGames)

Fellas! Nick Of Time is a turkey!

I didn't say it was good! I said it was interesting. And it features Depp playing a totally normal average joe character.

You thought Hugo was a children's film, Alex. You have less credibility then Morlock ever had!

I'm the only one here who saw it in the theater at the time. We thought it was one of the worst movies ever.

If you think it's a fine film, then I'm certainly worried about Hugo, Steef.

http://www.rottentom...m/nick_of_time/

See ... widely considered a movie turkey. I was right! Again!

That's more like it! People like us save their money for Snyder's Supes. There's nothing more mature than watching a grown man in blue tights and a red cape!

There's nothing more mature than watching a grown man in blue tights and a red cape!

I've come to think Superman is a more adult fantasy than other superheroes that aren't seen as necessarily inmature.

Nick Of Time is a good thriller, that used the 24 gimmick yeeeaaars before 24 did!

Gimmick? You call Kiefer Sutherland going 24 hours without eating or going to the bathroom a gimmick? No wonder he called it the worst day of his life.

There's nothing more mature than watching a grown man in blue tights and a red cape!

I've come to think Superman is a more adult fantasy than other superheroes that aren't seen as necessarily inmature.

I don't think Superman is adult fantasy at all. Like millions of other kids, I used to read some of the comic books when I was 6 or 7. No way I'm going to read that now.

and you know kids are so into that classic romance between Superman and Lois.

I don't think Superman is adult fantasy at all. Like millions of other kids, I used to read some of the comic books when I was 6 or 7. No way I'm going to read that now.

I don't think it's so adult, but it's more adult than others. Like Batman.

I don't see that.

are you being serious?

when Jorel sent earth his only Son!

or the Christ on the Cross image in Superman Returns as Superman flys into the light of the sun his arms raised at his side....

I haven't seen Superman Returns.

Are you people implying that Christ myth is a childish fantasy? I don't agree with that, I think it was an interesting product of the mindset of the times, just like Superman.

Back to Superman. Compare him with Batman. Batman is the ultimate escapist character, an adolescent fantasy of being rich and without parents. Handsome playboy with a butler, awesome cars, cool gadgets, no boss, hot women. Superman goes to work, has a boss, he's lonely, his suit is ridiculous. He's a harder sell. That's why some dislike the character saying he's too perfect, and prefer Batman instead. Their true fantasy.

Batman is a crazy sob, Superman is a good person.

but you seriously don't get the Christ retelling in the Superman myth.....

I don't see how you're so blind to it.

I can't believe you're making such a big point of it. How about the other actors in Sweeney Todd? Surely, they are no match for the trained singers on Broadway either. Are you sure you don't have a tiny little problem with the others too?

I'm not making a big deal, I'm saying the film would have been better if a professional singer had sung Carter's parts. The other singers are a mixed bag. I actually like Depp as much as Len Cariou, sometimes even more. All of the children sound like professional singers. Snape and Wormtongue are okay, I wouldn't have minded if they replaced the latter's vocals. The former's voice is so distinctive though I don't think you could replace his convincingly. That's not true for Carter.

Again, I'm not sure this movie can really satisfy the musical fan.

I saw the film before I heard the musical, and Carter's flaws stood out to me then.

Superman is little more then a retelling of the tale of Christ.

The original Donner movie certainly presents that image, though the comics don't really support that concept.

Jor-El, a being of immeasurable wisdom, sends his only son to Earth to be their salvation. In the sequel, Jor-El's son faces Zod, a former adversary of his father who could be considered a stand-in for Lucifer, i.e. a being with powers on par with those of heaven, i.e. Krypton.

There are far more differences, though, than similarities between using Superman as a stand-in for Christ (JC).

1) Jor-El perishes after sending his son on his journey because Jor-El is just a mortal on his dying world, while God does not die. Jor-El and Kal-El are also two very different beings, while God and JC are really just two parts of a trinity.

2) After JC is killed, he reunites with his Father. Kal-El never dies in the movies because the yellow sun keeps him strong. When he is dying at one point, he is saved by Luthor's woman out of compassion. Not even Doomsday really kills him in the comics. Both JC and Superman do talk to their fathers, but JC prays; Superman just gets a hologram.

3) Jor-El does not fight sin and suffering, but a very mortal man (Lex Luthor) in possession of nukes and kryptonite. However, neither man ever kills along their journey. But neither does any Batman in the movies; is Batman JC?

4) Kal-El falls in love with a mortal woman. It is never documented whether JC does; the "love they neighbor" mantra doesn't count.

5) Jor-El tells his son he cannot interfere when Superman wants to turn back the world, which runs against his lesson that humanity need only be shown the way. He's allowed to get cats out of a tree and prevent airplanes and helicopters from crashing, but is not allowed to turn back time? What gives. JC's interference is through his teachings, which influence the next two thousand years of human history. Nobody ever kills in the name of Superman.

6) Kal-El gets a job while JC lives a very simple, poor life. JC renounces the privileges awarded to a king among men as he awaits his heavenly throne.

7) What's more is Kal-El hides under the alias of Clark Kent when he's not out saving people. He protects his secret identity to save those he loves. JC never hides behind a mask, even when the Roman soldiers come to take him to his death, not even to save his apostles.

8) JC knows he's part of a plan and must die to accomplish his mission. Kal-El really really really doesn't want to die.

I do not consider anything that Bryan Singer filmed in Superman Returns to be of any vital importance to the Superman mythos. Sticking one's arms out at the side is a pretty common physical motion, and not limited to those crucified -- JC, Spartacus, Brian, etc.

I wish you luck in trying to out-nerd all THAT.

Dark Shadows

Terrible movie

There's a few moments the score sounded pretty good, in the opening and ending sequences

Captain America. I'm trying to catch my wife up on the heroes movies before seeing Avengers with her.

Is it just me or do some of the fight scenes in Captain America looks like they are...too smooth. It's almost a fast FPS effect or something. Am I dreaming this?

And at the other end of that spectrum is the indecipherably raw cinematography of The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Good luck trying to even see what is going on in those fight scenes.

And at the other end of that spectrum is the indecipherably raw cinematography of The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Good luck trying to even see what is going on in those fight scenes.

There's moments in these that are a editing disaster.

Nolan got better in Inception, where the action was more precise.