What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Indeed. And they always have a good selection of extras.

I just finished watching the film. It's a bit silly of course, and a very hyper-Hitchcock, if that makes sense. But De Palma just knows how to stage a sequence, doesn't he? It's just so visual that he can make the silliest of stories seem really tense and sophisticated. Now that's a skill.

I really like the score as well. Watched this partially to check it out. This new Intrada album might be on my shopping list now.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Indeed. And they always have a good selection of extras.

I just finished watching the film. It's a bit silly of course, and a very hyper-Hitchcock, if that makes sense. But De Palma just knows how to stage a sequence, doesn't he? It's just so visual that he can make the silliest of stories seem really tense and sophisticated. Now that's a skill.

I really like the score as well. Watched this partially to check it out. This new Intrada album might be on my shopping list now.

Of course it's a bit silly. But then, so is the resolution of Psycho, at least from a modern perspective. Both still work just fine as films.

Funny enough, some of the things that seem silly (like the genius kid building his own computer) are apparently autobiographical touches by De Palma and not as unrealistic as they seem.

Two moments in Dressed to Kill always stood out for me: The magnificent museum sequence, and the elevator scene. The first time I watched it, I didn't even realize that the woman had stopped screaming and it was the score that effectively carried on her scream.

Coincidentally, I had my mother over for a film night today, and originally wanted to show here Blow Out. Only I'd forgotten that I have the Criterion release, which is region A and can only be played by my old region free Blu-ray player, which refuses to read most region B discs without 20 minutes of hitting it with a fist. It still seems to do fine with region A discs, but I had to get it out and reconnect it first, and when I finally had it up and running, I couldn't find the remote and couldn't start the film. Bloody region codes. I should see if there's a good B (or unrestricted) version out. We settled on Gattaca instead, which is still wonderful, and gorgeously designed and shot.

Blazing Saddles

There were a few good jokes, but to be honest, I didn't think it was all that funny. Is there some novelty aspect to this film that I'm too young for to understand?

I agree. It was a very funny movie once upon a time, and the odd part here and there still is. But all in all Blazing Saddles has aged about as well as the Carry On movies.  

The Producers fares better, probably because it's a farce. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Blazing Saddles

There were a few good jokes, but to be honest, I didn't think it was all that funny. Is there some novelty aspect to this film that I'm too young for to understand?

Exact same feeling I had when I saw it for the first time a few years back.  Didn't understand the hype.

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's still funnier than Dracula: Dead and Loving it, though. 

Nostalgia does play a part in this sort of thing. I for one find Dracula: Dead and Loving it to be absolutely hilarious. Very good score too

In re: Blazing Saddles

The fast hands/chess piece bit still gets me every time. I love all the performances in that movie. Gene Wilder, Cleavon Little, Harvey Korman, Slim Pickens, Brooks, all so great.

I saw Blazing Saddles for the first time in 2004 when I was 25 years old.  I didn't think it was a bad movie, it was more like "eh, that was fine.  Not the brilliant masterpiece so many make it out to be"

I generally have a lot of love for 70s comedy anyway. Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Lily Tomlin, Carol Burnett, etc. I grew up watching and loving those performers even though it was the 90s/00s.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I saw Blazing Saddles for the first time in 2004 when I was 25 years old.  I didn't think it was a bad movie, it was more like "eh, that was fine.  Not the brilliant masterpiece so many make it out to be"

Did you watch it by yourself or with your parents? I like to watch a lot of these old comedies with them and gauge how they react. 

I've never been a Mel Brooks fan but Blazing Saddles has its moments. His movies are nothing else but jokes and that's why I prefer Allen because he does more than just humor.

12 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

Did you watch it by yourself or with your parents? I like to watch a lot of these old comedies with them and gauge how they react. 

I haven't lived with my parents since I was 22.  I probably watched it home alone, on a DVD that had arrived from Netflix.

59 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

In re: Blazing Saddles

The fast hands/chess piece bit still gets me every time. 

The single most hilarious thing about the movie for me. I remember watching that part with my mate when we were in our teens and we absolutely cracked up over it. It's the sound effect that does it! 

The second funniest thing is the horse getting knocked out. 

The campfire farting scene isn't funny outside of Germany. 

Rocknrolla

Slick, glossy fun. The cast is pretty impressive -- especially Thandie Newton, Gerald Butler, Idris Elba, Tom Wilkinson and Tom Hardy -- and the pacing moves at a good clip. Mark Strong's dry narration makes the proceedings funnier.

Would like to see the Wild Bunch pop up in another movie.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I haven't lived with my parents since I was 22.  I probably watched it home alone, on a DVD that had arrived from Netflix.

Not really what I asked. But you've ruled out going home to visit or spend a weekend and end up watching a movie on vacation. Cheers. 

Watched all three Riddick films, for the first time, in a marathon. I wasn't expecting much but had a lot of fun watching in spite of myself. I especially liked that all three had a different tone.

Vin Diesel is quite likeable in the role and clearly has a lot of passion for the films.  

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

This chess scene?

What's so hilarious about it?

You can't explain why something is funny. It either is or isn't for you. Many millions have found that scene hilarious, but if you don't, you don't.  I gave up a long time ago trying to get people to like comedy that I like.

But I guess if I had to try and explain why I find that so funny, it's that it's so absurd and silly how the movie pretends Wilder can move so fast that it literally doesn't register to the human eye that he moved at all.  That's funny to me.

That. The way he literally doesn't move, and then the sound effect. Extremely subtle comedy direction one very rarely sees nowadays. 

It's like trying to explain why Monty Python's Flying Circus is funny to somebody.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That. The way he literally doesn't move, and then the sound effect.

It's like trying to explain why Monty Python's Flying Circus is funny to somebody.

Yeah it's that sort of silliness where it's so stupid it loops back around to being smart. Love it.

33 minutes ago, Nick66 said:

Watched all three Riddick films, for the first time, in a marathon. I wasn't expecting much but had a lot of fun watching in spite of myself. I especially liked that all three had a different tone.

Vin Diesel is quite likeable in the role and clearly has a lot of passion for the films.  

But you preferred 1 & 3, right? 

54 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

Not really what I asked. But you've ruled out going home to visit or spend a weekend and end up watching a movie on vacation. Cheers. 

Ah.  Yea, I don't think I've watched a movie with my parents since I was a teenager

I rarely watch movies with my mum at her or my house. She has the awful tendency to comment on whatever is going on, or worse, start conversations...

We are seeing Chinatown in our local art house cinema later this month though.

I'll never forget the time I watched The Virgin Spring with both of my parents.  Explaining Ingmar Bergman to them was not easy.  That's when I learned to watch the arthouse movies by myself generally.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But you preferred 1 & 3, right? 

My problem with the second film wasn't the goofy, unabashed space operaness of it. I didn't mind that, and I really liked the visual aesthetic of the film. 

My problem was changing who Riddick is. They took a really cool character with an interesting background and gave him this tired "saviour of the universe" backstory, including retconning how he got his eyes, which just sorta took the piss out of the whole thing. And if that wasn't bad enough, that blue Furyian energy blast or whatever it was that Riddick emanated at the end was just way, way over the top and completely out of synch with the universe they'd established.  Clearly they realised they'd taken some of this stuff too far, and scaled it back in the next film. 

Anyway, Riddick is just one of those things I missed the first time around, probably because of snobbery on my part thinking the whole thing would be dumb as a pile of rocks. But now I sort of hope they make another one.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I rarely watch movies with my mum at her or my house. She has the awful tendency to comment on whatever is going on, or worse, start conversations...

I have my mom, sister and aunt over for a movie night every once in a while. My cousin is a fellow movie buff, but she lives in London now.

LOTR3, finally. Some random thoughts:

1. Is it my imagination, or was this score horribly mistreated in the film? It all felt so raw and chopped up, but maybe my memories of the CRS aren't really correct.

2. Why does Shore always start distorting/changing/getting very creative with his themes after having done the exact opposite during the entire previous entry? For instance, Rohan only receives variations here, and from TTT onwards, the Nazgul's music seems rather different too.

3. Why are Frodo and Bilbo leaving the Shire? Are they going to some sort of paradise or is it supposed to be a euphemism for suicide/dying or... what is it?

4. When are we getting a sequel about Sam and Rosie's children?