What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Rambo (2008)

A conservative movie about dizzy-headed liberals stupidly going into a war-torn third world country with an insane dictator that murders everyone. So they send in a group of mercenaries and Rambo himself to save them, AKA wipe out the entire fucking military. In my opinion, it's not a good First Blood/Rambo movie until the very end when he goes home and you hear Jerry's music. But it is a decent action flick with plenty of brutal kills and an especially memorable bloodbath finale.

I adore the movie, but it took a couple of viewings and few years of growth to get there. The only section of the movie I still think drags a bit is the whole docking section in the middle act

19 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

2001: A Space Odyssey is boring? Can't even fathom what you think of Malick or Leone. 

Haven't seen any of their movies yet.

18 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

He might be able to get through those two for the music....well anyway Leone would probably be more up his alley.

Hawmy should watch Michael Snow's "Wavelength" sometime!

Wikipedia makes it sound like a 45 minute long painting.

Did Grace Kelly ever look better?

I watched Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone yesterday evening. I was in direct need of some comfort viewing, which this film luckily provided. And such a lovely score, too.

Kubrick knows precisely how not to bore! He knows how to create an environment, and then step back, allowing us in. This is something every artist should aim for in their work, at least once, even if they don't adopt it as their overriding aesthetic. 2001 is one of the calmest, meditative, most inviting "places" that I've ever been.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I watched Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone yesterday evening. I was in direct need of some comfort viewing, which this film luckily provided. And such a lovely score, too.

It's even better played live!

32 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Did Grace Kelly ever look better?

Grace looks stunning in that film. Such a terrific film all around.

I love the four films Hitchcock made with Jimmy Stewart.  They're all 4 so experimental in their own way and completely different from one another.  Four of Stewart's best performances for sure.

Ranked!

1. Vertigo

2. Rear Window

3. Rope

4. The Man Who Knew Too Much

Saving Private Ryan. I don't really know what to say. Overall I found it slow and even boring at times. Beginning and ending was extremely touching and there were some good moments, but the fighting just lasted too long. Great score, though way too short.

17 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Kubrick knows precisely how not to bore! He knows how to create an environment, and then step back, allowing us in. This is something every artist should aim for in their work, at least once, even if they don't adopt it as their overriding aesthetic. 2001 is one of the calmest, meditative, most inviting "places" that I've ever been.

Indeed!

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Saving Private Ryan. I don't really know what to say. Overall I found it slow and even boring at times. Beginning and ending was extremely touching and there were some good moments, but the fighting just lasted too long. Great score, though way too short.

It really loses steam when they find Ryan. That's where it loses me, anyway.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The battle scenes are the best part. But I guess if you are blind you will miss the visual power of them.

Even then, for those scenes to work well, you need to see them in a theatre, on a large screen, and a sound system that puts you right in the middle of the action. It's really not the same at home. It would be the same as watching a 3D movie in 2D.

I can't imagine how it would look like on a Trinitron found in a garbage container.

Alex

Are you suggesting I live in a garbage container? I was hoping to keep that private!

Yeah I suppose that you do need to see the battle scenes in order for them to leave a lasting impression. Being told that someone is bleeding like crazy doesn't leave the same repulsive impression.

Wait, did Alex just confuse Bollen with Justin? 

Bollen is the blind guy, that actually watched the film recently.  Selina Kyle (Justin) is the guy who loves Trinitons now. 

On 12-11-2016 at 11:50 AM, bollemanneke said:

Are you suggesting I live in a garbage container? I was hoping to keep that private!

The container bit was directed to the poster above me. You know, the one who loves Trinitron tube TVs and who thinks the quality of Batman movies is measured by the quantity of Batman kills.

I actually said nothing to Bollemanneke.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Wait, did Alex just confuse Bollen with Justin? 

Bollen is the blind guy, that actually watched the film recently.  Selina Kyle (Justin) is the guy who loves Trinitons now. 

Wait, if bollen is blind how does he post here?

As far as the Holy Scripture goes, there's no better film (ok, 'Life of Brian' excepted). Also how much Ridley Scott, Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg learned about framing by DeMille, the oldest master of cinema (DeMille without dialogue is infinitely better than with). Now the only thing this one lacks is a Rózsa score so in dubbed it with 'King of Kings' in my mind.

On 11/12/2016 at 8:15 AM, Alexcremers said:

The container bit was directed to the poster above me. You know, the one who loves Trinitron tube TVs and who thinks the quality of a Batman movies is measured by the quantity of Batman kills.

I actually said nothing to Bollemanneke.

You seem to be confused. The Sony Trinitron is in my bedroom. The 5-disc Blade Runner Blu-ray is the garbage container.

The Witches of Eastwick

This one holds up. It's so weird and memorable, with a great cast (Veronica Cartwright is a standout) and score by Williams, which even breaks the fourth wall in a unique way. There's even an oddly prophetic moment when Jack Nicholson is inflicting Michelle Pfeiffer (who appeared to have an outbreak of herpes during filming) with pain and a cutout of a clown resembling the Joker starts swaying back and forth. Susan Sarandon is great as always, especially when she goes over the top in scenes like the band rehearsal and tennis game. I think this is the only time I was attracted to Cher.