What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Sabrina (1995)

I know. Everybody hates this one. Even John Williams took a jab at it before conducting the theme when he declared Audrey Hepburn was the only Sabrina. Well, whatever John. The only people who like this movie about wealthy white people doing ultimately worthless wealthy white people things are, well, JWFan people and Sydney Pollack fans. It really isn't that bad. I like the male leads a hell of a lot more than in the old version. Okay, the actress here is no Audrey Hepburn, but who the fuck is? At least Harrison Ford doesn't look like Sabrina's undead great grandfather like Bogart in the original.

Her. Scarlett Johansson really is great. First half was very good, losing interest now though. Only ten minutes to go. Score is funcitonal at best, but Silvestri and Doyle could have done a WAY better job.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Her. Scarlett Johansson really is great. First half was very good, losing interest now though. Only ten minutes to go. Score is funcitonal at best, but Silvestri and Doyle could have done a WAY better job.

Those composers would have ruined the film, Silvestri especially (I cringe at the thought of the movie with a schmaltzy Forrest Gump 2.0 score).  Doyle's a bit better but even he gets sappy as hell.      

Just saw Altman's 3 Women on the big screen for the first time. It's been a long time since a film left me so captivated and with so many questions afterwards; in that way it almost felt like Kubrick, where only watching it again it keeps on rewarding the viewer. Sissy Spacek was absolutely brilliant in this, I always thought she had a very limited range (despite working extremely well within that range) but here she showed so much more. What the hell happened to her? She seemed to be in everything in the 70's and 80's: Carrie, Costa Grava's Missing, Badlands... All great works.

But anyways, anyone else seen it? I feel like there's so many different ways to interpret this film. Just the title alone is so simple yet so well chosen.

I only saw 3 Women once on DVD but it's probably my favorite Altman. It's the closest thing to a mesmerizing dream-like atmosphere that Altman ever came. I need to watch it again.

The Divergent Series: Allegiant

It's hard to feel bad for a terrific group of actors (Naomi Watts, Shailene Woodley, Jeff Daniels) with a script this rote and trite. Florian Ballhaus' slick photography and Robert Schwentke's directing can only go so far when the overall product is rushed, boring, and lacking excitement. (Honestly, Daniels is almost literally dialing in his performance.) I feel bad for the book fans who feel hamstrung at the lack of closure, but this is the final nail in that 'let's split the final book into two movies' coffin.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Never seen 3 Women,... 

3 Women is a movie Nicholas Winding Refn can only dream of making one day. What I'm saying is, it's a weird movie.

While searching the free movies in Xfinity last night, we happen across The Happening, which She tells me she's always wanted to see. Really? Okaaaaay, I oblige. 

Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid movie. I don't know what annoyed me more, the idea that plants create a neurotoxin so specifically targeted to human activity and the wind to carry it at people, or the uninteresting overacting by all the characters that kept me from buying into the story. The music was decent but relentless. I slept through most of the middle. 

The Amazing Spider-Man. Decided to give this ago after totally giving up on the terrible Toby Maguire movies.

Now THIS one was good! No Spider-Man whispering in that torured voice Toby just can't seem to drop. Garfield is so much better. Uncle Ben is better, the villain is credible this time (no more stupid, childish hideous laughing)...

And Horner's score is absolutely magical. Still wasn't moved sufficiently when Ben died, but my goodness, this is so much better than Elfman's perennial, comical, undramatic, annoymous, chaotic crap!

I don't know too much about Horner's score since I only listened to bits and pieces of it, but I couldn't make it through that film because of the guy playing Peter Parker and his bizarre way of speaking. It's like he was in the middle of eating a Three Musketeers bar while reading his lines.

I FINALLY saw Dr. Strange for the first time tonight.  I will say that I really loved it.  I don't think they could have chosen a better actor for Dr. Strange, Benedict Cumberbatch did a great job in my opinion.

17 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

While searching the free movies in Xfinity last night, we happen across The Happening, which She tells me she's always wanted to see. Really? Okaaaaay, I oblige. 

Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid movie. I don't know what annoyed me more, the idea that plants create a neurotoxin so specifically targeted to human activity and the wind to carry it at people, or the uninteresting overacting by all the characters that kept me from buying into the story. The music was decent but relentless. I slept through most of the middle. 

I had heard that the only reason to see it is to witness Wahlberg being comprehensively out-acted by plants.