What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I thought Sigourney Weaver was awful in the film, and I say that with her being probably my favorite actress. All those weird little isms she does throughout the film are useless and awkward. When she first meets Winona and curls her hands up all fucking weird and rubs them down her face or when she does that weird shit with her nails when she is trapped in that cotton bag early in the film. It's awful and useless. I get she is supposed to act weird, but seriously, it's just annoying.

On a side note, the scene where she talks to the failed clone, they just left her sitting out? Cut open? And she didn't die? Absolutely idiotic.

Call me crazy, but I would like to see the unmade Vincent Ward's wooden monk planet version of Alien 3. Most of it kind of resembled the the final film (he got even "story by" credit), but I'd like to see this Medieval/Bosch take on Alien. Self-important? Probably. But I wish someone had a guts to make that version. Even if the concept was way too abstract.

alien_3_1.jpg

Mutant-sheep.jpg

Karol

Alien Resurrection is a much better film than Fincher's abomination. For me A4 is a guilty pleasure. I love the discovery of the early versions of Ripley. And add to it a great South Park parody to boot.

I tend to agree with Quint and Joey. I hated them both for decades but now I can appreciate some of the things (like Jeunet's typical style - even though it doesn't fit the Giger universe) in Resurrection. Not a good film by any means but I'm throwing less foam TV bricks to the screen than I do with Alien3. The reason why I hate Alien3 and not Resurrection is because the former wants to be so weighty and grave. For that to succeed the material has be be really, really good. It wasn't so the film falls flat on its face.

Alex - who recently watch them all in Blu-ray.

I've seen a more affordable blu-ray box of the 4 films. I think it's some kind of a bare-bones edition without the long documentaries. However, you do want to see the docus.

Alien 3. I don't know what you're guys talking about. It's an enjoyable film. Crappy effects, true, overtly pompous, sure. Has plot holes and all that. But it is far from disaster. Given the circumstances that in which the film was made, it's good. And gotta love Elliot Goldenthal.

Karol

Alien 3. I don't know what you're guys talking about. It's an enjoyable film. Crappy effects, true, overtly pompous, sure. Has plot holes and all that. But it is far from disaster.

Don't forget that it also has terribly uninteresting characters (including Charles Dance, whose character seems to be competing for Mr. Congeniality while he should be an animal) and dialog. Even the score is not very subtle (but well written, I suppose, from a technical standpoint) and very much in the way of things ... Maybe the music tried to be overly menacing because the film isn't? Very distracting. Really, I can't think of anything good to say about Alien3 and I don't hate Fincher (I think he did the right thing by distancing himself from it). I like Seven (In fact, I couldn't believe this was the same director at the time), Fight Club and The Social Club. Films like The Panic Room ... now that's what I would call "enjoyable".

Alex

Alien 3. I don't know what you're guys talking about. It's an enjoyable film. Crappy effects, true, overtly pompous, sure. Has plot holes and all that. But it is far from disaster.

Don't forget that it also has terribly uninteresting characters (including Charles Dance, whose character seems to be competing for Mr. Congeniality while he should be an animal) and dialog. Even the score is not very subtle (but well written, I suppose, from a technical standpoint) and very much in the way of things ... Maybe the music tried to be overly menacing because the film isn't? Very distracting.

It never struck as such, honest. I am genuinely entertained by it, despite its flaws.

One million dollar question remains: How bad are Alien vs. Predator films? I've never seen them.

Karol

It's official people,

I AM THE NEXT STRAVINSKY. If Hans Zimmer is the new big thing that has changed the face of musical composition in films, then screw it. I am the next Stravinsky. Call me Igor from now on people.

I can musically poo on Hans from a high ground.

Just watched the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie and I nearly threw my TV out of the window. The music was Crap-Crap-Crap-C-R-A-P. Amature -Plastic-Repetitive-Crapolinio -Craparoony. Can't stand the dude, has ruined film music. I hope this trend ends soon 'cause it's doing my head in.

So yeah I am Igor, for autograph requests contact me through my profile on this website.

Best

It never struck as such, honest. I am genuinely entertained by it, despite its flaws.

It may be flawed, but I still say it's brilliant in the visual and music departments. A joy to watch and hear, and the story is serviceable enough for me to not be bothered.

It's official people,

I AM THE NEXT STRAVINSKY. If Hans Zimmer is the new big thing that has changed the face of musical composition in films, then screw it. I am the next Stravinsky. Call me Igor from now on people.

I can musically poo on Hans from a high ground.

Just watched the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie and I nearly threw my TV out of the window. The music was Crap-Crap-Crap-C-R-A-P. Amature -Plastic-Repetitive-Crapolinio -Craparoony. Can't stand the dude, has ruined film music. I hope this trend ends soon 'cause it's doing my head in.

So yeah I am Igor, for autograph requests contact me through my profile on this website.

Best

Boo hoo.

it's brilliant in the visual ... departments. A joy to watch ...

Different tastes, I guess. For me only the first film is visually brilliant. The look of Fincher's film has never convinced me. It reminds me of the music videos of REM. It's all brown (a compensation for the wooden planet?) and the sets and compositions are without detail and dimension. Usually it's just men with brown clothes against a brown wall. I do love the photography of Seven and The Social Network. Also all brown colors but lots of lines and details in the every frame. Very classy stuff.

How bad are Alien vs. Predator films? I've never seen them.

The first one is okay if watched correctly. It's not an Alien film but a genuine Grindhouse film (just like Death Race is). Watch with a bowl of popcorn, forget about the Alien franchise and you'll have fun.

I first watched AvP when I was still a pretentious twenty-something. I hated it. Ever since I hit thirty though I've been able to enjoy it in exactly the way Alex said.

I've not seen the sequel. I saw the first twenty mins and it was truly bad.

The best part of AvP was the dude that was also in Resident Evil. When me and my brother started watching it and he first appeared we were like "Wouldn't it be funny if he died the same way." He ended up dying the exact same way, couldn't stop laughing.

I saw The Lion King in 3D last night. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the quality of the 3D conversion...for the most part, it looked quite natural. I'd seen a few 3D-converted shots from Beauty and the Beast that made me cringe, but this was much better, for whatever reason.

And of course, the actual film remains as delightful as ever.

TROLL HUNTER

trollhunter.jpg

Trolljegeren; Norway 2010.

Good for what it was, although the decision to film it mockumentary-style - think CLOVERFIELD - pushes it into the usual eurocorner of the 'we don't trust our own ideas, so let's re-do stuff americans invented 15 years before and then we again will wonder how people could possibly find it lame"-variety.

SPOILER GALORE!

Four young people follow a mysterious 'bear' hunter, which turns out to be the Van Helsing to a secret freemason society within Norway determined to keep the existence of trolls a secret. There's a lot of the usual running around in the mountains and caves and for some reason not entirely uncloaked, the trolls lust for christian blood - if there was irony to the concept, they sure held it subtle.

While the dramaturgy keeps it halfway afloat, it could have been a much better film without the reality gimmick, which doesn't work that well anyway, since they often enough deviate from it enough to make you realize it's a set-up shot, especially with some of the temptating vistas around. The technical realization is surprisingly good, meaning the trolls look terrible enough to frighten you (take that from a 1-million budgeted norwegian film, HARRY POTTER shoddy animated troll!). The finale recalls THE MIST, for some reason.

All in all i'd say it's worthwile for fans, but also encourage european filmmakers to at least try to be original and not to bastardize the rotting corpse of decade-old Hollywood ideas.

(take that from a 1-million budgeted norwegian film, HARRY POTTER shoddy animated troll!).

that's a silly comparison.

in 2001 CGI was still in it's infancy, they had not figured ut how to correctly do skin texture, eyes etc...

What a funny title.

Yeah, i kind of hoped for a reflexion on internet messageboard behaviour myself. ;)

(take that from a 1-million budgeted norwegian film, HARRY POTTER shoddy animated troll!).

that's a silly comparison.

in 2001 CGI was still in it's infancy, they had not figured ut how to correctly do skin texture, eyes etc...

I care...

Adam's Rib

Married couple (he a DA, she a lawyer) go against each other in a delightful comedy.

Tracy and Hepburn are fantastic, there has not been a better screen couple since.

Judy Holiday is surprisingly realistic as the accused.

Collateral

Watched it a few days back. My favorite Michael Mann film. Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx play off each other really well, and it's well paced. Not to mention there's some gorgeous cinematography, but Mann's insistence on digital hurts his films more than they help. Even on Blu, there's a substantial amount of noise and grain. Great soundtrack as usual.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)

Very good movie. I actually thought it could have been longer, some of the crime solving scenes felt rushed. It was far too interesting just on the basis of the characters that it would have kept me involved. I know this is a trilogy, but this particular investigation is unique to this movie (from what I understand). The sophistication of the murders and the psychology behind them were very complicated and I just thought that by the time they got to the explanation that it went too quickly, too neatly.

But it was still very good overall and I'm curious to see how Fincher's version pans out and how he handles the pacing and investigatory aspect.

On as side note, I think the title of the book, Men Who Hate Women is much more effective and interesting and more apt with relationship to what the movie is portraying. It would have been a braver title. The author clearly used it for a reason.

Tim