Jump to content
Mr. Breathmask

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Skywanker said:

A Christmas Story (1983) ...It's reportedly classic but I watched the film for the first time. 

and?

 

When i watched it for the first time I didn't really like it.

I watched it a couple more times afterwards and I liked it better.

Still, I liked mostly the general Christmas atmosphere and not the story or jokes etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Skywanker said:

A Christmas Story (1983) ...It's reportedly classic but I watched the film for the first time. 

 

Yeah hadn't heard of it until recently. And suddenly everyone's posting images of that dorky four-eyed kid on their Top-10 Christmas movie listicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skywanker said:

 

The Sound of Music is classic only in the USA. Movie was shooted in Austria... but no one knows that movie in Austria :D 

 

You're living up to your name, aren't you.

In the UK, TSOM is on just about every bank holiday.

 

 

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

When I was a kid, I thought Maria was too square and homely. Today I think she's really sexy.

 

Wha'?! That dopey nun versus Eleanor Parker???!!! Are you 'aving a giraffe?

 

 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

I saw Patrick Stewarts A Chistmas Carol

 It is among the worst adapatations of the novella.

 

The Patrick Stewart ACC, is utter shite.

 

 

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

My favourite one is the 1984 George C. Scott version.

I may watch it tonight.

 

That's a good version. David Warner is great, in that.

Of course, nothing beats Alistair Simm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home alone: the holiday heist.

 

I only started to like this after 30 minutes, when the kids were home alone, though I loved Ellie Harvie's character and performance, but Finn is an annoying, stupid dude and as usual, I didn't like the 'lessons' and 'messages' of this film, especially when Ellie Harvie recited one. The lead burglar had a fake British accent, though he was entertaining enough (why do villains always speak British in American films?) The female burglar was a nice and unexpected addition as well. Oh, and the little boy next door sounded like a girl and was weird. Plus, as in the original movie, the traps are really unrealistic, but that only bothered me now. Overall, I had a good laugh. Is it normal for random movie clips to be repeated during the credits?

The kiddo who composed the score wisely didn't use Williams' themes. It has some good 'magical' Christmas music with celesta and choir, but honestly, if you really have to use bad sample libraries, don't use strings, they reveal the fact that you're using a computer straightaway. The burglar music did sound an awful lot like Williams' material and playing Jingle Bels over a comical scene really works. Even sampled Christmas carols sound good, by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 4:46 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

 

Well, most people know *of* it. But few have seen it.

that's why it's the 3rd most successful film at the boxoffice. It was probably all those teenage girls who later went and saw Titanic.

 

watching the wonder Meet Me in St. Louis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The lead burglar had a fake British accent, though he was entertaining enough (why do villains always speak British in American films?)

 

Malcolm McDowell? Fake British accent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - my annual festive season viewing (albeit the first time on Blu-Ray) of the most 'Christmassy' Bond film.

Still one of the closest Bonds to the source novel, with the 'What if Lazenby had signed the contract to make further films?' thing that will forever hang over it ... for someone who wasn't really an actor following in Connery's mighty wake, he acquits himself admirably. Superb Barry score, one of the series' finest songs in Louis Armstrong's 'We Have All The Time In The World', one of the grisliest henchman demises in the whole series ('He had lots of guts!') and of course that heartbreaking ending.

Superior Bond.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

He really struggled not to sound American at times. His pronunciation overall was just odd.

 

He's English. (If you're really talking about McDowell... unlike apparently everyone else, I haven't seen the film).

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

that's why it's the 3rd most successful film at the boxoffice. It was probably all those teenage girls who later went and saw Titanic.

 

I guarantee you that far more Austrians have seen Titanic than The Sound of Music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

 

He's English. (If you're really talking about McDowell... unlike apparently everyone else, I haven't seen the film).

 

 

 

It's on TV as we speak. Checking his accent ...

 

 

Alex - who only believes in the first Home Alone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Jack Frost

 

How did they not make a sequel to this? One that should have been called Jack Frost Returns. Kelly Preston was beautiful in this. She looked a bit like Elizabeth Shue. They could be Black Lodge dopplegangers.

Well, actually...

Image result for jack frost 2 return of the mutant killer snowman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Still one of the closest Bonds to the source novel, with the 'What if Lazenby had signed the contract to make further films?' thing that will forever hang over it ... for someone who wasn't really an actor following in Connery's mighty wake, he acquits himself admirably.

 

A long standing myth that needs to be retired.

Lazenby really isn't very good as Bond. He has the looks, but no real presence. There's no sense of danger, like there was with Connery, and would be again with Craig. And he lacks the comic timing and charme of Moore and Brosnan.

 

He's actually fine in his big scenes with Diana Rigg, who is excellent in this film. But he botches his "My name is Bond" moment, and he sulks when M takes him off the case.

 

He looks laughable in a kilt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

I think people exaggerate their so-called coulrophobia on social media just to be dramatic. And Hollywood capitalised on that.

 

Either that or people just can't get enough of Stranger Things, which It basically is.

 

tumblr_oy1pn2uYr91vecemgo1_540.jpg

 

it-girl-sophia-lillis.jpg

 

They both even have the ginger-haired female member joining the club.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

 

A long standing myth that needs to be retired.

Lazenby really isn't very good as Bond. He has the looks, but no real presence. There's no sense of danger, like there was with Connery, and would be again with Craig. And he lacks the comic timing and charme of Moore and Brosnan.

 

He's actually fine in his big scenes with Diana Rigg, who is excellent in this film. But he botches his "My name is Bond" moment, and he sulks when M takes him off the case.

 

He looks laughable in a kilt.


Long standing myth? It's only in relatively recent years that Lazenby/OHMSS has been reappraised ... at the time, the general feeling was 'Well, he's not Connery'.

No sense of danger? Sorry, but for me he's up there with Connery and Craig as the Bonds who seem properly 'tough'. Moore, Dalton and Brosnan ... not so much.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It (2017)

 

It_(2017)_poster.jpg

 

 

I don't understand the hysteria at all.

 

3/10

Of course YOU dont. 

15 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

 

Either that or people just can't get enough of Stranger Things, which It basically is.

 

tumblr_oy1pn2uYr91vecemgo1_540.jpg

 

it-girl-sophia-lillis.jpg

 

They both even have the ginger-haired female member joining the club.

 

 

You do know that it is 31 years old.

 

It should be pointed out that It is-not an old film. Not the 2017 film. Its not even avail. on 4k yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home Alone, again.

 

After watching it a second time, it's now clear to me that there's a hidden narrative in this movie. This is a story about a family who can't cope with having a highly gifted child, so they try and kill him without anyone noticing. The mother is clearly spearheading the entire operation: making sure everyone oversleeps, not having a phone and when she 'accidentally' meets up with John Candy, she happily lets him ramble about his polkas and then he even tells her he once left his own child alone in a graveyard. They're all psychos.

 

Also, I paid close attention during the church scene and the Star of Bethlehem cue they use in the film is definitely NOT the film version on the LLL set!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

The mother is clearly spearheading the entire operation: making sure everyone oversleeps, not having a phone

 

There is a major power outage because of a freak storm, that's why the clocks and phone lines don't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...