What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

My favorite Natalie scene is in Goya's Ghosts when she's tortured naked.

Did anyone happen to notice recently that Natalie and Kira both appeared in separate awkward sexist TV ads for perfume? It was weird and confusing because they look exactly the same.

On 09/01/2018 at 10:43 PM, Richard said:

Ok, Sweep, each to their own :lol:

For me, coming as it did so soon after EXCALIBUR (which btw, I love) ROS tried to be all mystical, and ethereal. To me, Robin Hood is all boys' own, rip-roaring adventure, and not smokey, backlit Arthurian legend lite.

Do you agree that the Crowe version can fuck off?

First thing that springs to mind about the Crowe one was him storming out of an interview to promote it when the interviewer pointed out that his accent in it wandered all over the place. 

It was OK; main problem with it now is that it's an 'origin' movie which ends with unresolved story strands, which is clearly never going to have a follow-up to it made.    

You've Got Mail.

It took me 20 minutes before I started liking it, but once that had happened, it all went really fast. So many things could have gone wrong, but they didn't. I particularly liked the scene in which Meg Ryan pretends to have a cold and Tom Hanks was just great.

My only negative remark is this: the movie needs more (and a better) score and less songs.

Bullets or Ballots

Something about Bogie that I just don't buy him as a baddie. Probably because for years the only flicks I'd seen him in were Casablanca, The Maltise Falcon and The Big Sleep. But he's an effective foil for Edward G. Robinson, an undercover cop bent on fighting Bogie's racketeering operation. Or is he? You're second-guessing him a lot.

15 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Maze Runner - 6 / 10

A review of Fancyarcher's review:

He did a good job of describing the film, but I felt that Fancyarcher didn't draw us in, by failing to mention the philosophical, bordering on the existential, elements, of the film. The children's almost pathological loneliness which constitutes the heart of the subject matter which is so successful to understanding their plight, is not discussed.

3/10  must do better.

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

He did a good job of describing the film, but I felt that Fancyarcher didn't draw us in, by failing to mention the philosophical, bordering on the existential, elements, of the film. The children's almost pathological loneliness which constitutes the heart of the subject matter which is so successful to understanding their plight, is not discussed.

3/10  must do better.

A review of Richard's review:

In the first half of his work, the writer has persuasively established that the review under consideration gives an accurate but incomplete description of the film Maze Runner. Unfortunately, his second sentence poses a high risk of intracerebral haemorrhage in the reader. The construction of a syntactic labyrinth in a review of a review of a film relating to mazes was certainly an audacious move, but the experience can be recommended only to the most seasoned and adventurous of meta-review connoisseurs.

8/13: inspired but difficult.

51 minutes ago, Richard said:

3/10  must do better.

My review of this post - Could stand to lose at least 20 words. Not enough "pows" either - 5 / 10.

Also my review of Molly's Game (I type these reviews for a living)

https://dailyuv.com/feed/939089?location=norwich-vt

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Really, Fancy? You write reviews for a living, and the best you can come up with "6/10"? What do you write for, Fractions Weekly?

Shortesthalfreviews.com 

Life is Beautiful.

During the first 20 minutes, I was considering turning it off because the rather stupid romance really wasn't my thing at all. Also, I found Guido an incredibly annoying character and am still wondering why no one throughout the whole film asked him once to just shut up for one minute. The second half, however, was much better and of course deeply moving. I doubt I'll ever watch it again and of course it only increased my disgust for the German language, as far as that was still possible... I also don't understand why they had to dub this film in English and give the characters stupid Italian accents. If you're not going to have them speak normal English, why not just subtitle the Italian version?

The score was rather interesting. The first half was quite repetitive, but the second half was better and, most surprisingly, the simple themes supplied all the emotion that was required.

Gladiator (2000).

I still think it holds up beautifully all these years later, and it probably has one of my favourite opening scenes in cinema history. That battle is epic, wonderfully atmospheric and still looks great today (and for the most part they nail the armour and legion battle tactics of the era). Crowe is a true movie star in the role and perfectly cast. And of course Zimmer nails the now famous score.

On the other hand, I remember being quite disappointed with the end of the film the first time I saw it, and I still feel a little of that disappointment every time I watch. I remember wanting to see Maximus return to Rome with his army and have a big, epic battle. Of course, THAT's something that never happened...but it's not as if most of the rest of the film is exactly historically accurate either.

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Panic Room is great. It desperately needs a blu-ray release. 

I'm surprised it's not on blu-ray already. It seems like one of those films that would look great in high def. 

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm surprised it's not on blu-ray already. It seems like one of those films that would look great in high def. 

Twilight Time announced they were releasing it, but that was years ago and there haven’t been any updates since. I’m hoping Criterion or someone else snags the license and does it proper. 

MV5BMTcxMjE0NjY1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzU0

An okay 6/10 movie. Very old-fashioned. They don't make 'm like this anymore. The score even features woodwinds! And Star Wars fanatics should be pleased with the presence of Oscar Isaac.

It's quite obvious that Poe will end up with Rey - but not before she's committed (unknowing) incest with Kylo Ren - and Finn will do the horizontal mambo with Rose.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

MV5BMTcxMjE0NjY1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzU0

An okay 6/10 movie. Very old-fashioned. They don't make 'm like this anymore. The score even features woodwinds! And Star Wars fanatics should be pleased with the presence of Oscar Isaac.

Yes, I quite liked this when I saw it. Probably because of its middle-eastern locales, but this reminded me of THE SHELTERING SKY.

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Twilight Time announced they were releasing it, but that was years ago and there haven’t been any updates since. I’m hoping Criterion or someone else snags the license and does it proper. 

Criterion probably won't pick up the title. If it does get released on blu-ray, it'll probably be from a lesser company I'm assuming.I'm really just surprised it hasn't been released yet. 

6 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Criterion probably won't pick up the title. If it does get released on blu-ray, it'll probably be from a lesser company I'm assuming.I'm really just surprised it hasn't been released yet. 

Why do you say that? Criterion has released Fincher’s The Game and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button. 

The Place Beyond The Pines - 7 / 10

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Why do you say that? Criterion has released Fincher’s The Game and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button. 

Just doesn't seem like the kind of film they'd release. Still if they did Benjamin Button (forget about that), it's certainly possible.